• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Spyshots of 2021 G70 facelift

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does it have a dual exhaust or is one of the pipes not hooked up? If it's dual, I wish they just continued that look for the tips instead of just using their big ovals.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does it have a dual exhaust or is one of the pipes not hooked up? If it's dual, I wish they just continued that look for the tips instead of just using their big ovals.

I think the second tip is just hard to see from the underside shot... I think this is it..

B795CC67-58D0-4D86-9C22-FC6DEF9C0841.jpg

If I'm right, then you can even see the external part of the valve on the right tip.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
But I wonder if the MPG will improve or what the torque ratings are. Still, I'm waiting... for delivery on my new ride that is!
Should improve a good bit based on 3 fronts.

More efficient engines.

New, lighter platform(s).

Use of aluminum throughout the body.

Right now the 3.3T makes the same power in the G70, G80, and G90. That would lead me to believe the power ratings for the 3.5T will be the same in every vehicle.

What I would like to see is a high output version of this engine as an option. Not necessarily a full blown M3 or C63 fighter, but about 450hp and a few other extras like more aggressive suspension and exhaust for ~$5K would be nice.
The 2.5T is capable of a lot more than the 304-308 HP in its current RWD application (note - that's more than what the 2.5T is rated for FWD application), so the 3.5TT should also be capable of pushing out a good bit more power.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That’s what I thought about the 3.3 too when they first announced the G70 ;(
I predict low 4s 0-60. I should clarify.

If the engine has a bit more power but more importantly if the transmission is a bit better, the new car should be 4.0 to 4.2s to 60.

i guess we will see!

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Should improve a good bit based on 3 fronts.

More efficient engines.

New, lighter platform(s).

Use of aluminum throughout the body.

The refresh/facelift will be lighter than the current G70? This is the next one coming out, like around 2021 or 2022, right?

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The refresh/facelift will be lighter than the current G70? This is the next one coming out, like around 2021 or 2022, right?
Lighter platform is next Gen G70 not facelift G70. So I would think 2023 MY. That’s my prediction based upon what Hyundai/Genesis/Kia do for there models.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Lighter platform is next Gen G70 not facelift G70. So I would think 2023 MY. That’s my prediction based upon what Hyundai/Genesis/Kia do for there models.
Safe to say as well that the 3.5T won't make it's debut until the 2023 MY but the 2.5T will be in the 2021 facelift?

Agreed, this seems to make the most sense. I suppose I just want the facelift to get these things because I am impatient. 🙃

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone read about the weight difference between the 3.3T and 3.5T? My only concern (in the small G70) is that the 3.5T with only 10 extra hp, will add maybe 50+ pounds making it so you can't feel that in a straight line, but you feel the extra weight in a corner. More weight in the front is something the G70 doesn't need.

jrivera68p

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone read about the weight difference between the 3.3T and 3.5T? My only concern (in the small G70) is that the 3.5T with only 10 extra hp, will add maybe 50+ pounds making it so you can't feel that in a straight line, but you feel the extra weight in a corner. More weight in the front is something the G70 doesn't need.
How .20 liters will add 50 pounds, maybe 10-15 pounds with the extra induction plastics.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is a good question. I see no references to weight differences in the Hyundai presentation slides. However, we can still make some assessments with what we know...

We know that the new 3.5 still has the same bore as the current 3.3, thus the increase in displacement is due to the small 3.2mm extra stroke. This may necessitate an increase in deck height on the block, but not by much (also can be negated by piston and combustion chamber dimensions). I can't imagine that extra material on the crank and block makes more than a few lbs of difference.

According to some press releases, the 3.5 is supposedly an all new engine from the ground up. So there are chances that Hyundai engineers were able to reduce weight in other areas of the engine.

We know the engine has new heads, which change the intake runners size, shape, and orientation a little bit to increase tumble, which should improve combustion efficiency via improved air/fuel mixing, along with top center firing direct injectors, that not only offer improved spray patterns but also less weight. The heads also incorporate the port injectors.

It also swaps out the air-to-air intercooler with an air-to-water system, which SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the size of the intercooler element and length of charge piping. While it might be offset by the coolant and new heat exchanger, there still is a good chance it actually weighs less.

These differences lead me to believe that this new engine really was designed from the ground up, or at least a significant redesign of the 3.3.

All of this being said, there are new additions to the engine which can increase weight; but, weight is always a primary focus when designing new engines and I have no doubt that Hyundai engineers were able to save a few lbs here and there that most likely offsets the increase in components. I assume this both from industry norms, and from the specific mention of lighter weight injectors in the press release.

Hopefully we will find out the exact/actual weight differences sometime later down the road. But right now I'm betting that the difference is much less than 50 lbs. We will see, though!

Edit: some clarification and sentence structure, grammar.

Last edited:

jrivera68p

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is a good question. I see no references to weight differences in the Hyundai presentation slides. However, we can still make some assessments with what we know...

We know that the new 3.5 still has the same bore as the current 3.3, thus the increase in displacement is due to the small 3.2mm extra stroke. This may necessitate an increase in deck height on the block, but not by much. I can't imagine that extra material on the crank and block makes more than a few lbs of difference.

According to some press releases, the 3.5 is supposedly an all new engine from the ground up. So there are chances that Hyundai engineers were able to reduce weight in other areas of the engine.

We know the engine has new heads, which change the intake runners size, shape, and orientation a little bit to increase tumble, which should improve combustion efficiency via improved air/fuel mixing, along with top center firing direct injectors, that not only offer improved spray patterns but also less weight. The heads also incorporate the port injectors.

It also swaps out the air-to-air intercooler with an air-to-water system, which SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the size of the intercooler element and length of charge piping. While it might be offset by the coolant and new heat exchanger, there still is a good chance it actually weighs less.

These differences lead me to believe that this new engine really was designed from the ground up, or at least a significant redesign of the 3.3.

All of this being said, there are new additions to the engine which can increase weight; but, weight is always a primary focus when designing new engines and I have no doubt that Hyundai engineers were able to save a few lbs here and there that most likely offsets the increase in components. I assume this both from industry norms, and from the specific mention of lighter weight injectors in the press release.

Hopefully we will find out the exact/actual weight differences sometime later down the road. But right now I'm betting that the difference is much less than 50 lbs. We will see, though!
Excellent post, thank you👏🏼

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums