• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Steering on Curves - Sticks

G-961400

Now that makes sense! I have it turned off, but maybe still that is the problem.
We are having steering issues with our new 2019 G80. I turned off the lane assist the very first day. The car has been in the shop 3 times now but the problem still exists.
Should have bought an American made car!!!

PaulH

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi I have the same issue. Steering effort changes in curves and feels like it is sticking. Have complained three times thus far. Dealer cannot replicate, but I am not sure how they can't. Irritating to say the least.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Mine does it too but it's only when LKA is on. I think LKA just gets confused sometimes. Especially with an inner double line.

G-574127

When driving on a winding road (mainly left winding) the steering my Genesis will stick to the point you have to yank it back to center. Of course the dealer cannot figure it out. Has anyone experienced this issue?
Hello. Yes we have the same experience. Dealer says the same thing

G-844689

Hi all I also have 2018 G80 and same issue. First I thought that it is because of the tires but I just changed all tires before 2 weeks and still same issue. I just took appointment for this issue hopefully they can fix it.

ihmike345

Genesis Model Type
I have the same issue with my 2016 Hyundai Genesis. At highway speed, when going through long sustained turns, the steering wheel will not "recenter" and wants to continue to turn the car. My wife noticed that it is worse on left hand turns. You have to give a slight jerk to the wheel to get it to center and want to drive straight. This is not extremely dangerous, but is a safety hazard in my opinion.

My car is at the dealer now for this issue and the strange glass shattering issue that is the topic of a separate thread. Service tech said that it may be something with the electronic power steering, but I could tell he was not convinced and trying to placate me. Love my Genesis, but am starting to have concerns over additional issues, Hyundai service, and the warranty program. :(

G-487235

When driving on a winding road (mainly left winding) the steering my Genesis will stick to the point you have to yank it back to center. Of course the dealer cannot figure it out. Has anyone experienced this issue?
It’s the Steering Rack...usually covered based on your miles

G-783034

Yes, I am having virtually the same issue from new on a 2018 genesis 80.

G-121783

G80 Sport 2018: In moderate curves, the steering changes abnormally, almost a slight wallowing feel. Wonder if it's the tires, which do NOT get rave reviews.

ilateapex

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My fathers G80 is having this problem now. The dealer can not seem to understand or duplicate the problem. Which dealers did you guys use that decided to replace the rack? Maybe I can get them to contact those dealers and understand the problem better.

Thanks,
Michael

DrWilliamR1

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
G80 Sport 2018: In moderate curves, the steering changes abnormally, almost a slight wallowing feel. Wonder if it's the tires, which do NOT get rave reviews.
Wallowing in moderate curves started in my 2018 Genesis G80 Sport at about 13K miles, can't always reproduce or demonstrate this, service manager couldn't reproduce when he drove, BUT IT IS A DEFINITE DIFFERENCE and does not inspire confidence.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It happens to me sometimes. I honestly don't think it's a "problem" per se, but more of a logic issue in the EPS handling of torque demand. On a normal recirculating hydraulic power steering rack, road feedback is handled in a natural fashion. On EPS, you don't have hydraulic drives, it's basically a servo with a computer controller deciding how much road force to give back to the driver. If you input torque to the steering wheel, the controller boosts the servo output to match road conditions with some damping for input feedback. On a longer sweep, the logic that dictating road damping can "hold" the steering wheel given lack of torque input to pull out. The car won't naturally center up unless the EPS controller is allowing the road force to input to the steering wheel.

Since I don't have a direct way to view Hyundai's logic controlling the EPS, the best I can do is guess at what's happening. It's possible to have this issue if the steering angle sensor isn't perfectly aligned, LKAS is in line hold mode or if the rack is just plain bad.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Still, does sound a bit like the MCAS system on the 737 Max to me.

Flyingcat23

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It happens to me sometimes. I honestly don't think it's a "problem" per se, but more of a logic issue in the EPS handling of torque demand. On a normal recirculating hydraulic power steering rack, road feedback is handled in a natural fashion. On EPS, you don't have hydraulic drives, it's basically a servo with a computer controller deciding how much road force to give back to the driver. If you input torque to the steering wheel, the controller boosts the servo output to match road conditions with some damping for input feedback. On a longer sweep, the logic that dictating road damping can "hold" the steering wheel given lack of torque input to pull out. The car won't naturally center up unless the EPS controller is allowing the road force to input to the steering wheel.

Since I don't have a direct way to view Hyundai's logic controlling the EPS, the best I can do is guess at what's happening. It's possible to have this issue if the steering angle sensor isn't perfectly aligned, LKAS is in line hold mode or if the rack is just plain bad.
I have a 2017 G90 and the vehicle occasionally fails to release to the center position when transitioning out of a left steering maneuver at low speed (less than 10 mph). Suburbazine, how does your theory hold up when the problem only happens in a left steering maneuver situation? Fortunately I’m leasing my car and may jettison this vehicle because of this dangerous issue.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Flyingcat23

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Does the car fight you when you center up (turn clockwise) or does it just hold the turn for a quick bump essentially? At very low speeds the rack is in max gain mode, so the servo is going to be set to it's highest assist state. If there's an internal logic issue, it may have so much "assist" that a zero input situation would not naturally center up.

It's also possible to have a bad steering rack, where when you go to center up the servo pulls too much power and the electronics reset, causing a loss of torque and similar resistance to recentering. You'll usually hear/feel this as a chattering in the steering though.
Thanks for your reply. In response to your question, the steering wheel holds/locks in the left turn position until I exert force to free it. I neither hear nor feel any chattering in the steering. Thanks again.

MAM

Genesis Model Type
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the variable assist motors in the power steering. Took several visits to diagnose it, ultimately a test drive with hard S turns did the trick. They replaced the entire steering assembly under warranty. Drives great now.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums