tire blow out

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
On my trip down to Florida this year I experienced BOTH driver's side Conti's blow the sidewalls after hitting a line of potholes on I-75 in Tennessee. There's not much maneuvering room with some of the construction on this road, and at 75mph its a big "BANG" when you hit a sharp edged pothole caused by the rough winter. I just said "CRAP" to my wife when the tire pressure alarm went off and the left rear tire was already showing zero pressure and the front left @ 15 lbs and dropping fast.

After pulling over without hitting the brakes from the passing lane and finding a spot to get on the shoulder, I quickly inspected the tires. Rear had a rip in the sidewall where I could see inside the tire, Front was just flat as a pancake with no easily visible signs of sidewall damage (ended up that the sidewall was torn as well). Rims were fine.

Didn't bother calling Hyundai. Just asked Siri for the closest tow, called them and a flatbed was there within 20 minutes $80 - nice guy. Went to the closest town which was only a mile up the road. It had a small tire shop that was fantastic. Unbelievably he got me up and running in 1.5 hrs with two used tires of the right size. Goodyear for the front and a Yokohama for the back - close enough! $150 installed and balanced - wow! And they ran great for the 12 hrs left on the trip + another 2.5 months here in Florida. Not sure if I should change anything yet...

Not sure if I can fault the Conti's for the blowouts. They are VERY low profile 19" tires (40 series Front, 35 series Rear) so not much shock absorption before the tire is pinched between the pavement and the rim and they did hit hard. Still, I'm hearing about so many issues with these Conti's. Tires had about 25000 miles on them.
I had a similar blowout back in 2015 on I-40 approaching the other side of Tennessee. Both passenger tires. You should have called Hyundai though- I think you get 3 free tows.

PatF

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Hi. I'm the new owner (3 weeks) of a 2018 G90 AWD 3.3T with 268 miles on it. On a short trip from home, I hit a pothole on a two lane (no shoulder) road on the outskirts of metropolitan Dallas and the front tire, passenger side blew. As I was doing about 40 mph I was able to stop without difficulty. Since many of my neighbors drive Cadillacs and have OnStar to watch over them, I was interested in seeing how good Genesis connected services was at roadside assistance (so I could brag). I connected quickly and the agent was able to see where I was located. Since the road was narrow and there wasn't a good place to try a tire change myself, I asked for help changing the tire. The agent told me he would have someone come out and would text me with who the responding company was and when I could expect them. He confirmed my cell phone number. So far, so good.... After waiting over two hours, I gave up and just changed the tire myself. I called Genesis back as I was finishing up the tire replacement, and they didn't seem to be overly concerned about the delay. They just said they were sorry no one responded. I was extremely disappointed as I viewed connected services as being primarily an aid in times of trouble. My experience today makes me hang on to AAA for routine service and to rely on cell phone help in a more serious emergency for 911. If Genesis is serious about the luxury auto market, they had best be more reliable with connected services. I have enjoyed the vehicle, but I have my doubts that Genesis is ready for prime time yet. And regarding the tire, I could not detect damage to the tire; I go to the dealer tomorrow for them to evaluate the situation. The pothole was large, but other vehicles behind me hit the same one without damage. Perhaps these Continental tires are having issues. So far, my Genesis experience has been disappointing. As my neighbor said to me gleefully, "You should have bought a Cadillac." I hope he is wrong, but only time will tell.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi. I'm the new owner (3 weeks) of a 2018 G90 The agent told me he would have someone come out and would text me with who the responding company was and when I could expect them. He confirmed my cell phone number. So far, so good.... After waiting over two hours, I gave up and just changed the tire myself.
I called Genesis back as I was finishing up the tire replacement, and they didn't seem to be overly concerned about the delay. . If Genesis is serious about the luxury auto market, they had best be more reliable with connected services. I have enjoyed the vehicle, but I have my doubts that Genesis is ready for prime time yet..
That is a poor experience, especially when you have so few miles on the car. They use a network of independent contractors so I'm sure service varies in different areas and depends on time of day, weather, etc. I've used them twice in about five years. Once was less than a half hour in the evening, the other was 45 minutes on a Saturday morning. 600 miles from home. Chances are, the same group of service shops handle the Caddy OnStar service too.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
New tire being put on the car, for free of course. Even my dealer here in Arizona couldn't get one till next Tuesday evening.
I'm still stuck for the 250.00 I had to pay for the cheaper brand tire. Couldn't drive another 3200 miles on a donut.
Going to look for a cheap wheel, maybe just steel, and use it for a spare in place of donut.
Good trip anyway. Funny thing is I got 28.1 mpg going from Arizona to North Carolina and 27.5 mpg coming back.
Same road and everything. That's pretty good for traveling 75 to 77 most of the way. 99% highway.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Funny thing is I got 28.1 mpg going from Arizona to North Carolina and 27.5 mpg coming back.
Same road and everything.
Not quite the same. Mean altitude of AZ is 4100 feet, NC is 700 feet and low point is seal level. It really can make a difference with more downhill. My commute to work was 24 miles and it was a 1 mpg difference in one direction, measured a few random times.

cj428cj

The Continental Procontact TX tires are crap. Their sidewalls are just too soft. I had one blow out after hitting a pothole. It was a sizable pothole and these are big heavy cars so I wasn't terribly surprised. About 2 months later, I hit a really mild pothole while going about 15 MPH. Several minutes later my TPS monitor come on. Checked the tire and sure enough, a small hole in the sidewall. And just the other day, I noticed there is a huge chunk of rubber missing from the sidewall up near the rim/bead of the tire. I have no idea how that happened. I should probably have that tire replaced now. My car has 25,000 miles on it now so I've had 3 road hazard incidences in 25,000 miles. That's after about 40 years of driving other cars/tires without a single road hazard/sidewall issue (just the usual nail in the tread kind of thing until now). I love how quiet these tires are but I can't wait for them to wear out so I can replace them with something that isn't going to blow out every time the wind blows.

BARRYW

Getting familiar with the group...
Delaware
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Genesis, as well as all manufacturers, do not warranty tires. The warranty on tires is between you and the company that supplied the tires on your vehicle. I once had a bad tire on my Lexus. Call their roadside service and they used a car hauler take my car to the nearest tire shop that sold my brand. Luckily they had my size in stock. It is not uncommon for a tire dealer to have to order a tire. If it is not a weekend, they can usually get a replacement the next day.

Mike734

Been here awhile...
Seattle area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
With all this talk about low profile tires, I finally looked at the door frame to read the recommended tire pressure. I was surprised to see 35 cold. My tires are fresh from the dealer and we’re set at 32 cold. Since I generally like a little more pressure in my tires, I now keep them at 37.

What pressure do you guys like?

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Appears now that the bead was damaged, maybe at original mounting in factory.
Dealer assures me if Continental doesn't replace tire, Genesis will

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
With all this talk about low profile tires, I finally looked at the door frame to read the recommended tire pressure. I was surprised to see 35 cold. My tires are fresh from the dealer and we’re set at 32 cold. Since I generally like a little more pressure in my tires, I now keep them at 37.

What pressure do you guys like?
I always keep mine at factory spec. Running the tire pressure too low will cause excess heat and wear and now wondering if some of these tire failures like when hitting a pot hole wasn't caused by running with low tire pressures allowing the tire to flex more......

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Since I had such low mileage on car Genesis replaced the tire for me.
I had to pay for the replacement and fax the work order and receipt to show I paid for it.
Genesis is sending me a check for the full amount.
This is a good will gesture on Genesis part. Just show's they are trying
KIA replaced a tire for me on the 2015 K900 and I had 4000 miles on it. that was a Hankook tire.
Tire did not blow on the KIA, was just so far out of balance they couldn't stop the vibration.

JrMarshall01

Newington, Ct
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The Continental Procontact TX tires are crap. Their sidewalls are just too soft. I had one blow out after hitting a pothole. It was a sizable pothole and these are big heavy cars so I wasn't terribly surprised. About 2 months later, I hit a really mild pothole while going about 15 MPH. Several minutes later my TPS monitor come on. Checked the tire and sure enough, a small hole in the sidewall. And just the other day, I noticed there is a huge chunk of rubber missing from the sidewall up near the rim/bead of the tire. I have no idea how that happened. I should probably have that tire replaced now. My car has 25,000 miles on it now so I've had 3 road hazard incidences in 25,000 miles. That's after about 40 years of driving other cars/tires without a single road hazard/sidewall issue (just the usual nail in the tread kind of thing until now). I love how quiet these tires are but I can't wait for them to wear out so I can replace them with something that isn't going to blow out every time the wind blows.
did you ever replace the tire with the chunk of rubber missing? I just discovered the same thing on my 2017 g90 but I only have 12,000 miles on the car. the chunk is about 1 1/2 inches by 3/8 in the same area you mentioned. Sounds like a defect to me. Wondered if Continental tire was willing to replace.

Last edited:

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I am on my third tire too. Had nearly $4k damage from hitting pot hole. Always the righ front passenger. Turned it in to insurance.

The service guy thinks the suspension is not substantial enough for the car.

The poster that I have in quotes above thinks it’s the tires.

My theory is that it is 3 things.
  1. Low profile tires should not be on cars and I will never buy another car with low profile tires. I had a couple flats on my X3 with low profile run flats.
  2. The Hood is so long and we sit so low, that we lose the reaction time and judgement of potholes because of the angle. Talking split seconds, but it makes a difference.
  3. Potholes in the Northeast!
I think the tires are doing exactly what they were designed to do; and the suspension is working superbly. Low profile tires are just like a lead balloon.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Considering the number of Genesis's cars running Continental Tires (small) and the number of blowouts I'm reading just on this forum which is not huge has me believing there is some sort of defect with these tires. Also on tire rack you can read other owners of these tires (not Genesis) that have had issues as well. I'm almost at the point if I had to take a long trip I would either a. buy a spare and keep it in the trunk or b. replace all the Continental Tires with something else.

However the problem with option a. is the front and rear are different sizes.
Remember that the spare in your trunk is one size for either the front or rear wheels. I have a full size spare that uses a 2012 R-Spec 19" wheel. It does fit either the front or back (the front is usually the problem due to the 5.0's larger front callipers)

mistersteve

FL
I've said it a few times elsewhere in the forum but the horror stories about the continental tires around here were a heads up for me. Soon after getting my G90 Ultimate I replaced the Continentals with Michelin run flats ($1400). Feel a lot safer when i am driving FL-CT-FL each year.

Using run flats doesn't mean you can't have a blowout on a big pothole and often times with run flats you may not know it. On trips through pothole country I typically keep the air pressure display on the screen so I have some indication of a problem sooner.

Mike734

Been here awhile...
Seattle area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Speaking of low profile tires, I keep my tires at about 36psi cold. They end up around 39-40 after driving a while. Is it the consensus of the driver world that low profile tiers like these should have higher tire pressure?

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I haven't had any issues with the Continentals but I also don't have enough miles on them to feel qualified to rate them on durability. What I do find strange is how expensive they are compared to what some say are superior tires.
As of this morning on Discount Tire for staggered 2015 5.0:

Continental Pro Contact TX F $308, R $323
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S F #184, R $222
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus F $235, R $252

Cannot see why I would not buy the Michelins or, at worst, Yokohamas to replace the more expensive Continentals after reading all these horror stories.

Bald Eagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
San Francisco Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
"They are VERY low profile 19" tires (40 series Front, 35 series Rear)"
Therein lies the problem. Very low profile, and easily damaged... regardless of brand.
I beg to disagree. Those sizes have become more or less 'standard' for low profile. They are lower than I like or prefer, but they aren't VERY low profile anymore.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I haven't had any issues with the Continentals but I also don't have enough miles on them to feel qualified to rate them on durability. What I do find strange is how expensive they are compared to what some say are superior tires.
As of this morning on Discount Tire for staggered 2015 5.0:

Continental Pro Contact TX F $308, R $323
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S F #184, R $222
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus F $235, R $252

Cannot see why I would not buy the Michelins or, at worst, Yokohamas to replace the more expensive Continentals after reading all these horror stories.
the Michelins will be a bit louder than the Continental's as the Conties have a foam insert to dampen road noise (probably the extra cost), I had the Michelins on my RCF replaced the OEM Pilot Super Sport summer tires with the All Season and I liked them, we just put them on my wife's 2017 Camry Hybrid as well after two of the OEM bridgestone's blew out at 12K miles, and I mean blew, they shredded apart in multiple pieces.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.