tire blow out

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I haven't had any issues with the Continentals but I also don't have enough miles on them to feel qualified to rate them on durability. What I do find strange is how expensive they are compared to what some say are superior tires.
As of this morning on Discount Tire for staggered 2015 5.0:

Continental Pro Contact TX F $308, R $323
Yokohama Advan Sport A/S F #184, R $222
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus F $235, R $252

Cannot see why I would not buy the Michelins or, at worst, Yokohamas to replace the more expensive Continentals after reading all these horror stories.
I think the tires are fine. If you hit the right pot hole, the sidewalls are getting pinched and hence compromised.

They are not defective, sort of like the old 10 speeds with the skinny tires. If the side walk gaps or cracks were too big it was a sure flat tire, then the mountain bike revolution started, except for the pros, and flat tires were not a thing on bikes.

The low profile tires are like going from mountain bikes back to the old 10 speeds.

davwil50

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
2018 G90 5.0. First trip 2871miles on car. Driving 70mph in 3rd lane. low tire pressure light comes on
by the time I got over to the first lane , plop, plop, plop. Tire looses all air and by the time I get stopped
and on the shoulder, Tire is ruined. Out side sidewall is gone, inside side wall looks like new.Genesis tells me
they will send road side service to change tire for me. as there is just no place to get out and change tire.
1 1/2 hours some one shows up to change tire, with a state trooper to block lane and protect car and tire guy from getting hit
First time I was happy seeing a trooper. After donut was installed I ask Genesis where I could get a new tire. Was told
go to my dealership. Which was 1200 miles away. Was then told to take to nearest Genesis dealer which was 245 miles
away. Then was told to contact a Hyundai dealership. After contacting dealerships with in 120 miles no one had a tire
but was told they could order one for me.
This was not good news as we were on vacation and got from Glendale, AZ to fort smith, AR before tire blew . I found it
hard to believe the tire went out that fast after low warning light came on. A dealership in little rock, Ar was able to
find a Kumo tire the right size. 2 and 1/2 hours away. Costs me $250.00 and I will have to try to get continental to replace
the tire after I get home to AZ.
Genesis assist wasn't any help, other than changing the tire. I just had cancer surgery and would have to be in the road to change tire myself
Because of where car was located. Only thing Genesis could tell me was find a tire shop.
did you ever replace the tire with the chunk of rubber missing? I just discovered the same thing on my 2017 g90 but I only have 12,000 miles on the car. the chunk is about 1 1/2 inches by 3/8 in the same area you mentioned. Sounds like a defect to me. Wondered if Continental tire was willing to replace.

davwil50

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
2018 G90 5.0. First trip 2871miles on car. Driving 70mph in 3rd lane. low tire pressure light comes on
by the time I got over to the first lane , plop, plop, plop. Tire looses all air and by the time I get stopped
and on the shoulder, Tire is ruined. Out side sidewall is gone, inside side wall looks like new.Genesis tells me
they will send road side service to change tire for me. as there is just no place to get out and change tire.
1 1/2 hours some one shows up to change tire, with a state trooper to block lane and protect car and tire guy from getting hit
First time I was happy seeing a trooper. After donut was installed I ask Genesis where I could get a new tire. Was told
go to my dealership. Which was 1200 miles away. Was then told to take to nearest Genesis dealer which was 245 miles
away. Then was told to contact a Hyundai dealership. After contacting dealerships with in 120 miles no one had a tire
This was not good news as we were on vacation and got from Glendale, AZ to fort smith, AR before tire blew . I found it
hard to believe the tire went out that fast after low warning light came on. A dealership in little rock, Ar was able to
find a Kumo tire the right size. 2 and 1/2 hours away. Costs me $250.00 and I will have to try to get continental to replace
Genesis assist wasn't any help, other than changing the tire. I just had cancer surgery and would have to be in the road to change tire myself
Because of where car was located. Only thing Genesis could tell me was find a tire shop.
did you ever replace the tire with the chunk of rubber missing? I just discovered the same thing on my 2017 g90 but I only have 12,000 miles on the car. the chunk is about 1 1/2 inches by 3/8 in the same area you mentioned. Sounds like a defect to me. Wondered if Continental tire was willing to replace.

davwil50

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Kfinto

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm in the still looking phase of buying a newer car but I have 19" Continentals on my Pontiac G8 GT. I think it is the tires. I just had rapid pressure loss and a ruined tire yesterday. Discount Tire could not find anything in the tire.

Oh, Discount Tire will sell Road Hazard insurance to you when you buy a new vehicle. That's something I just learned. Always assumed you had to buy the tires from the shop to buy their insurance until I learned that!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.