• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What things don't you like in the G70?

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It won't let you do that. One of my pet peeves.
So dumb.... This is now the thing I like the least about the car. I see no reason why you can't do this. Even if the car required you to lock it far enough away from the vehicle that is knows there is no key in proximity of the car (assuming locking keys in the car is the reason for this?) Why. Just why......

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So dumb.... This is now the thing I like the least about the car. I see no reason why you can't do this. Even if the car required you to lock it far enough away from the vehicle that is knows there is no key in proximity of the car (assuming locking keys in the car is the reason for this?) Why. Just why......
Can you do that with the app? (Remote start it.)

16UltV6Guy

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Can you not leave your car running and lock the doors? For example, stop at the bank, leave the car running to warm up but lock the doors as you run inside?
It won't let you do that. One of my pet peeves.
I don't think it's impossible, just not as convenient as people would like.

I thought you could by locking the door from the outside by using the physical key in the door handle keyhole. I don't know this for a fact, but someone else here posted that about this exact thing.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The circumstance here for example is I have to leave work, stop at the bank, at then head home. An alternate similar scenario would be I stop for coffee on the way to work.

Logic here:
I want to keep the car running because:
- It's much better for the engine than constantly stop/starting short distances and especially when the engine is cold.
- I want to let the car warm up for comfort.
- I want my dog to have AC and not get stolen or let out.
- Any other reason (dog one is made up lol)
I want to lock the doors for obvious reasons (theft, etc.).

Amazes me you can't do this, manually start the car with the button and lock it with the FOB.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I thought you could by locking the door from the outside by using the physical key in the door handle keyhole.
I'll test this but I see zero change of ever doing this in a real world scenario. Also it would have to lock all the doors to be effective.

Rant over. lol

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In some places there are laws saying that is not legal to do. If a windows was broken you could drive off with the car.
I see the point/logic here, but then not allowing the car to be driven without sensing the keyfob would be the easy solution. I'm assuming this is what remote start is doing, if you remote start your car and then someone smashes a window, they can't drive away because the car has not sensed the keyfob or been unlocked (whichever is the trigger). Same scenario would apply to locking the doors and leaving the car running.

Also, the car lets you leave with the FOB inhand, remain unlocked, and can still be driven (assumed). Wouldn't this be a worse scenario than locking it running?

Honestly likely what I'll end up doing is just leaving the car running unlocked, run my quick errand, and risk it. Canadians rarely steel cars anyways, and I have good insurance. It's just surprising you can't do this is all.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I see the point/logic here, but then not allowing the car to be driven without sensing the keyfob would be the easy solution. I'm assuming this is what remote start is doing, if you remote start your car and then someone smashes a window, they can't drive away because the car has not sensed the keyfob or been unlocked (whichever is the trigger). Same scenario would apply to locking the doors and leaving the car running.

Also, the car lets you leave with the FOB inhand, remain unlocked, and can still be driven (assumed). Wouldn't this be a worse scenario than locking it running?

Honestly likely what I'll end up doing is just leaving the car running unlocked, run my quick errand, and risk it. Canadians rarely steel cars anyways, and I have good insurance. It's just surprising you can't do this is all.
doesnt canada have some laws on idling restrictions? i could just be making that up, but hate to see someone get a ticket over something like that

16UltV6Guy

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I believe some insurance companies don't cover it as a stolen car if it was left running or even if the keys were left in it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
All valid points. If I'm ambitious enough I may start a thread on the locking/unlocking scenarios on this car, or add to an existing thread. Just unlocked the car via the keyfob in the house to carry some boxes out and just as I got to the car the mirrors folded in and the car locked.... Lmao wtf. Time to reread the manual on a section I thought I'd be able to master. Anyways enough of hijacking this good thread.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
All valid points. If I'm ambitious enough I may start a thread on the locking/unlocking scenarios on this car, or add to an existing thread. Just unlocked the car via the keyfob in the house to carry some boxes out and just as I got to the car the mirrors folded in and the car locked.... Lmao wtf. Time to reread the manual on a section I thought I'd be able to master. Anyways enough of hijacking this good thread.
:) I thought this was common with a lot of cars now--at least the last several I have had; the default when you unlock it, but no one opens a door within a certain amount of time, the car automatically locks again.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My present cars, if they are running and I’m standing outside the car and attempt to manually lock the car door lock with my finger, the car automatically will unlock all doors. Never tried to see what would happen if I had both FOBs and left one in the console while manually locking while standing outside if that would fake it out or not?

art712

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
While waiting for the G70 to finally arrive to USA. I would like to start a thread of things you don't like or would like to improve in the G70.
In my case for example, one of the things I really don't like and looks to me way outdated for a "luxury car" is the incandescent rear turn lights.
What do you think?
Fairly new G70 owner and overall LOVE this car but... so far these things annoy, surprise, or disappoint me:

1. no quad exhaust tips for 2.0T model
  2. The trunk is maddeningly difficult to close and requires that I place my hands on the trunk deck itself to close after 1 or 2 attempts (scratch and smudge potential...)
  3. the head unit is not on par with a car of this level. MY BMW was far superior parrticularly with email and message access features.
  4. The rotary knob for driving modes should have been integratred to control the head unit and not just be a single function feature. I dont need a knob to change driving mode, a scroll wheel there for the head unit is much better IMHO....
  5. Interior ambient lighting or lack there of,...
  6. The inability to change the Sirius XM channel list to display artist or title - this really annoys me....my old Honda had this....
  7. The wireless charger is a nice feature but when you decide to use Carplay or AA when the cable is connected the phone does not fit in that spot for hide away storage. the cable connection makes it too long for most phones. Minor I know but still annoying...
These are quibbles and overall very impressed. I love so much more than I don't.... I am usually an Audi or BMW guy and miss many of their productivity features in the head unit but prefer the G70 ride and unique factor this time around. Would love to see a G70 specific head unit created to match up with the premium feel of everytrhing else in future models. So far still a great car!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Fairly new G70 owner and overall LOVE this car but... so far these things annoy, surprise, or disappoint me:

1. no quad exhaust tips for 2.0T model
  2. The trunk is maddeningly difficult to close and requires that I place my hands on the trunk deck itself to close after 1 or 2 attempts (scratch and smudge potential...)
  3. the head unit is not on par with a car of this level. MY BMW was far superior parrticularly with email and message access features.
  4. The rotary knob for driving modes should have been integratred to control the head unit and not just be a single function feature. I dont need a knob to change driving mode, a scroll wheel there for the head unit is much better IMHO....
  5. Interior ambient lighting or lack there of,...
  6. The inability to change the Sirius XM channel list to display artist or title - this really annoys me....my old Honda had this....
  7. The wireless charger is a nice feature but when you decide to use Carplay or AA when the cable is connected the phone does not fit in that spot for hide away storage. the cable connection makes it too long for most phones. Minor I know but still annoying...
These are quibbles and overall very impressed. I love so much more than I don't.... I am usually an Audi or BMW guy and miss many of their productivity features in the head unit but prefer the G70 ride and unique factor this time around. Would love to see a G70 specific head unit created to match up with the premium feel of everytrhing else in future models. So far still a great car!
Totally agree, especially #2-5 (#4!). Also agree that the chassis and uniqueness make it worthwhile to put up with the fairly minor stuff.
It would be great if they addressed some of the complaints that have come up in this forum on future models. That would certainly increase the chance of repeat buyers, and make it an even better car. (Of course there's still there issue of the dealer network that could stand in the way if they don't come out with dedicated Genesis dealers soon.)

Kwrenaud

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I believe some insurance companies don't cover it as a stolen car if it was left running or even if the keys were left in it.
Being in Insurance, they wouldn’t cover the liability to other property or people if it was stolen and hit another car/property or a person. It would cover damage to your car under comprehensive.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums