6MT Owners - Discussion Thread

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They have some active safety features that were deleted on the Canadian 6MT.
^ yeah, i'm not too concerned with the electronic nannies so that's not a real gripe of mine. but you do make a good point, and adds to the info i learned above in that the US spec car is not a complete 'stripper' base model. the main complaint i hear is the lack of HUD and nappa leather on the US car. the perfect mix is probably a mix between the US and CAD trims - but i'm glad CAD got the sport appearance package to go along with the mechanical goodies.

cmfhsu

I just called Mirak Genesis, since they're reasonably local to me. It sounds like the grey g70 6MT is still being built and shipped. No ETA on arrival.

cmfhsu

One more update - I was lucky enough to drive one of the first 2.0T manuals available in New England at Danbury Genesis (Chris Keefe is a great guy to work with). The shifter and linkage are just okay - it reminds me a bit of my friend's mazda3 transmission. Highly damped, with rubbery, notchy shifts. After the transmission warmed up, it got a bit smoother, but since it was 30 deg F here, it didn't get much of a chance to get heat in it. I'd love some stiffer bushings in the linkage / mount points - that might turn this transmission into a bit of magic.

However, I wasn't able to get comfortable in the front seat, sadly. The front of the seat didn't raise high enough to contact & support my thighs, leaving an awkward pressure point in my rear-end where my tailbone met the seat.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah, the US spec 6MT is a different mix of features. CAD got the full Sport driver seat which has great adjustability.

i don't disagree with the improvement potential with some linkage upgrades. let's stay tuned on that. it is a decent box from the factory, but i've 'upgraded' most manual gearboxes i've owned so i hear where you're coming from. still, for me it beats the slushbox and the fact that a manual box was offered was a pleasant surprise.

Drezz

Registered Member
Rochester, NY, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
One more update - I was lucky enough to drive one of the first 2.0T manuals available in New England at Danbury Genesis (Chris Keefe is a great guy to work with). The shifter and linkage are just okay - it reminds me a bit of my friend's mazda3 transmission. Highly damped, with rubbery, notchy shifts. After the transmission warmed up, it got a bit smoother, but since it was 30 deg F here, it didn't get much of a chance to get heat in it. I'd love some stiffer bushings in the linkage / mount points - that might turn this transmission into a bit of magic.

However, I wasn't able to get comfortable in the front seat, sadly. The front of the seat didn't raise high enough to contact & support my thighs, leaving an awkward pressure point in my rear-end where my tailbone met the seat.
Sorry to hear the so-so review. It's a surprise they offered one and appreciated... but I wonder how many potential manual buyers will be deterred by the iffy execution.

Also, cars.com still only has the single 6MT listed nationwide, at Mirak Genesis [no pictures].

cmfhsu

I'd say the shifter and linkage are actually quite decent in the grand scheme of manuals, but not in the top 10% of manuals out there. It's not so much a stopping point for me because, as caknucklehead mentioned, I can always stiffen up the bushings later. The seat, though is something I'll have to think long and hard about.

Again, I want to recommend Danbury genesis for their willingness to work with me and my obnoxious purchasing practices and recommend them if you're nearby and want to take a test drive.

Last edited:

50jae

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Deleted

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Reading the article, it seems like they think the car is very good, just not perfect. And they really focus on the few imperfections.

This review isn’t turning me away from the manual. If anything, it gave me more reassurance, displaying strong handling and braking, and better acceleration times than most other G70 2.0 reviews out there.

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Reading the article, it seems like they think the car is very good, just not perfect. And they really focus on the few imperfections.

This review isn’t turning me away from the manual. If anything, it gave me more reassurance, displaying strong handling and braking, and better acceleration times than most other G70 2.0 reviews out there.
I also just noticed that the track tester (initials KC, not the same as the author) noted, "shift action is nice" on the test sheet. This is contrary to what seemed to be the author's biggest complaint about the vehicle.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ as a 6MT owner, i do not entirely disagree with many of C&D's takes. i am a C&D fan and give them a reasonable amount of latitude, but they do make a few good points about the 6MT model execution. one big exception for CAD buyers is that the CAD and US trims vary quite a bit, so some of the C&D opinions do not apply. i focused mainly on the mechanical/performance aspects of the review.

C&D is correct that the default drive mode should be Sport. i have noted previously that Comfort mode introduces an annoying lag off-idle. it is ridiculous and should be mapped out of the ECU. i switch to Sport every time i start up and have no use for Comfort or Eco. Genesis has clearly marketed the 6MT trim to 'performance enthusiasts' moreso than any other G70 trim so why bother with a laggy mode as default?

as for the acceleration data, i also agree with C&D. i'm also waiting for a back-to-back comparo to test G70 alongside competitors under the same conditions. i cannot understand why the G70 2.0T shows so poorly in test data. seeing the C&D instrumented test numbers does not help. for the power/weight/gearing/aero, none of it makes any sense. how is it slower than the Stinger (which is a better comparion), nevermind the Accord. it should walk away from the Accord at the start due to the Accord being FWD. in day to day driving the 2.0T feels plenty quick, while not being a sledgehammer, but the tests say otherwise. weird.

i agree the clutch is without complaint. it is one of the better i've tried, and i love the hill-hold assist.

i do not agree with C&D about the gearbox feel. i guess if you are in their enviable position of driving the world's best gearboxes (porsche/bmw/honda) you can be picky. but for 99% of people the G70 stick is perfectly acceptable. i came from a G37 and people said its gearbox was 'too mechanical'. now, people say the G70 is 'too rubbery'. shift action is a subjective aspect and it can be tuned in the aftermarket if need be. and besides, as they note, what are our choices now that Audi and BMW have discontinued their 6MT offerings? at least it's available.

is the G70 6MT perfect? no. would it be great if they offered 6MT with the 3.3T? of course. will they? no. C&D and myself would love that option, but Genesis is not about to invest in a new gearbox R&D program from what i can tell. the 6MT comes from Genesis coupe and other Hyundai family offerings so they had a box to start with. the 3.3T would require a new box for all the torque.

mhinz82

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Why is C&D calling it a 2.0T Sport? It is not a Sport at all. Genesis removed most of the content that the AT Sport has and gave it the worst looking seats in the lineup. Big miss! I saw this coming and C&D confirmed it - it could have been great but it's a swing and a miss thanks to being stripped of content and not offering it with the V6

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why is C&D calling it a 2.0T Sport? It is not a Sport at all. Genesis removed most of the content that the AT Sport has and gave it the worst looking seats in the lineup. Big miss! I saw this coming and C&D confirmed it - it could have been great but it's a swing and a miss thanks to being stripped of content and not offering it with the V6
C&D is calling it a 2.0T Sport because that's what Genesis calls it, 2.0T Sport M/T. Perhaps you meant to ask why is Genesis calling it a 2.0T Sport. I would argue that the Sport moniker is more deserving here than on the 2.0T Sport A/T, given that it has the Brembo braking system, performance brake pads (which are only found here and on the 3.3T Dynamic Special Edition), and sport exhaust (adds 3 horsepower), all of which are absent on the 2.0 Sport A/T. Not to mention lighter weight and, obviously, the manual transmission.

mhinz82

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
C&D is calling it a 2.0T Sport because that's what Genesis calls it, 2.0T Sport M/T. Perhaps you meant to ask why is Genesis calling it a 2.0T Sport. I would argue that the Sport moniker is more deserving here than on the 2.0T Sport A/T, given that it has the Brembo braking system, performance brake pads (which are only found here and on the 3.3T Dynamic Special Edition), and sport exhaust (adds 3 horsepower), all of which are absent on the 2.0 Sport A/T. Not to mention lighter weight and, obviously, the manual transmission.
Oh I see. I just never would have thought the word “Sport” would be associated with the slowest (by quite a bit) G70 in the lineup. It’s automatic sister ”Sport” is faster with that 3 less hp you mentioned and has far more equipment and arguably looks better inside, outside, top to bottom left to right - yes with a price. But, this is a luxury line after all. Is it not? The MT is a letdown. C&D is right. But hey they offer it!!!!

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh I see. I just never would have thought the word “Sport” would be associated with the slowest (by quite a bit) G70 in the lineup. It’s automatic sister ”Sport” is faster with that 3 less hp you mentioned and has far more equipment and arguably looks better inside, outside, top to bottom left to right - yes with a price. But, this is a luxury line after all. Is it not? The MT is a letdown. C&D is right. But hey they offer it!!!!
There is more to a sports sedan, or a sporty driving experience, than straight line acceleration. But hey, to each his own. Sure, a manual on the 3.3T and/or better acceleration on the 2.0T would be much appreciated. But if we're talking about the 2.0T lineup, I, personally, will happily take the 2.0T Sport M/T over the 2.0T Sport A/T.

Granted, I have not driven the manual, but I've read every review and doubt a test drive will change my mind. I can't wait to test, and hopefully purchase, one once they make it to Illinois.

Also, regarding your comment that the 2.0T manual is the slowest in the lineup by quite a bit, I have not seen any evidence supporting that claim. The only back-to-back instrumented test I've seen of both the 2.0T auto and manual is from Motor Trend, and they actually had the manual ahead of the auto (7.2s 0-60 vs. 7.4s). I wouldn't be surprised if additional testing showed the auto to be slightly quicker, but we'll have to wait and see.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah, and C&D got 6.6s 0-60 for the 6MT. still, far too slow to make sense. but that's what they got in the testing conditions as they were.

i asked if Genesis has limited torque output in 1st gear for the 6MT and this may help to explain the slower than expected 0-60 times. Hyundai has done this in other applications so it is possible. after 1st gear, the 6MT has plenty of punch and feels much more like a car with 260 lb/ft available down low. since most street driving is done above 1st gear the instrumented test data is not necessarily reflective of how quick the 6MT feels in the real world.

like i've said before, the G70 pulled on my previous Infiniti G37S (330hp/270lb/ft) in rolling starts from 2nd to 3rd gear due to the torque band (i did side-by-side runs with a car-guy friend driving my G37S) so i know it is decently quick. the test numbers do not tell the whole story.

and as far as the Accord 2.0T 6MT, there is no comparing the actual driving experience or handling characteristics. sure, the Accord was quick off the line and acceleration numbers appear impressive. but its handling, braking and dynamic limits do not match up and the front tires are being asked to do far too much. it is a high-torque FWD car which is still a great car, but not up to the bar for an entry-level luxury performance sedan. and it feels like a giant cave inside. almost too much headroom and backseat space...

i've made the comparison before that the G70 should be neck and neck for test data with my '04 G35 sedan 6MT with 260hp/260lb/ft due to weight, gearing, aero, RWD layout, etc. it tested at 5.8-5.9s 0-60 and ~14.1s in the 1/4. plenty quick for 95% of folks out there.

Last edited:

Drezz

Registered Member
Rochester, NY, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I do think "2.0T Sport" is confusing; the G70 builder isn't consistent (it's just called "2.0T Manual" there). I would expect the Sport designation to be more consistent visually across the line [i.e., the dark trim and darker wheels]. Oh well.
P.S. FINALLY there is one with pictures on cars.com--Himalayan Gray @ Mirak Genesis.

mhinz82

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ yeah, and C&D got 6.6s 0-60 for the 6MT. still, far too slow to make sense. but that's what they got in the testing conditions as they were.

i asked if Genesis has limited torque output in 1st gear for the 6MT and this may help to explain the slower than expected 0-60 times. Hyundai has done this in other applications so it is possible. after 1st gear, the 6MT has plenty of punch and feels much more like a car with 260 lb/ft available down low. since most street driving is done above 1st gear the instrumented test data is not necessarily reflective of how quick the 6MT feels in the real world.

like i've said before, the G70 pulled on my previous Infiniti G37S (330hp/270lb/ft) in rolling starts from 2nd to 3rd gear due to the torque band (i did side-by-side runs with a car-guy friend driving my G37S) so i know it is decently quick. the test numbers do not tell the whole story.

and as far as the Accord 2.0T 6MT, there is no comparing the actual driving experience or handling characteristics. sure, the Accord was quick off the line and acceleration numbers appear impressive. but its handling, braking and dynamic limits do not match up and the front tires are being asked to do far too much. it is a high-torque FWD car which is still a great car, but not up to the bar for an entry-level luxury performance sedan. and it feels like a giant cave inside. almost too much headroom and backseat space...

i've made the comparison before that the G70 should be neck and neck for test data with my '04 G35 sedan 6MT with 260hp/260lb/ft due to weight, gearing, aero, RWD layout, etc. it tested at 5.8-5.9s 0-60 and ~14.1s in the 1/4. plenty quick for 95% of folks out there.
Here is where I've determined the AT to be quicker than the MT (outside of the fact that most AT's are faster than MT these days on the whole):
C&D says the MT to 60 takes 6.6s and according to thedrive.com the manufacturer is stating the AT 2.0T is 5.7s to 60.
2019 Genesis G70 2.0T Review: A Heroic Sedan, But a Tragic Figure

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ 5.7s 0-60 is much more logical, and very close to competing 2.0T 7/8/9 speed AT's. so that makes sense. i've yet to see any instrumented test reflecting that, but time will tell. i agree that modern AT's are quicker than MT's (which is irrelevant in my case), so add a few tenths and we should be seeing ~5.9-6.1s 0-60 for the 6MT. this is all on paper, but is what we should expect to see, although we are not.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.