• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

6MT Owners - Discussion Thread

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
here's another youtube review of the 6MT trim posted by others in a separate forum section:

aside from his take on not liking sport mode, which should be the default mode for the 6MT trim, he has decently agreeable thoughts.

also, some of his criticism about it being a 'base model' is due to the odd packaging in the US trim. i don't disagree. CAD got this right on most counts where we retain more luxury/sport features.

Samy

Registered Member
I think he's right. I'm not going to lie. I bought the car with a M/T and I feel I should have test driven the automatic before buying it. I sold my Miata to buy a G70 and the M/T is disappointing. Especially in low gears where it does not feel precise. It's hard to explain. The throws are too long and the turbo lag of the engine makes it hard to drive the car smoothly. I'm just waiting for short stick kit and the JB4 for the 2.0 to see if that helps.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yup. coming from a Miata/Honda/Porsche/BMW manual to almost any other make (who still sells a stick) will result in some amount of disappointment. i went from a Mazda to a G35 back in 2006 and felt the same way. that said, over time i made modification to tune the gearbox how i liked it.

bottom line: if you want a new manual, smaller entry-level luxury sport sedan, the G70 is your only option. so beggers can't be choosy and we'll have to adjust or modify with aftermarket parts - like many people do with many other cars as well. we'll also need to look to aftermarket for increasing power to where it should be closer to 290-300hp.

i tested the AT as well. it was fine, no complaints from a function standpoint. but if i wanted an AT the world would have been my oyster and choices are numerous. the G70 may not have come out on top. to be honest, i probably wouldn't have even looked at or known about the G70. the 6MT is what hooked me.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ i believe only Edmonton and TO have the glass trailer. not sure how Edmonton got theirs before Vancity, but there you go.
You would be surprised how popular Genesis is here in Edmonton. In 2018 we finished as the #1 agency in Western Canada in terms of volume. Not bad for a small market with a metro population of only 1.1M!

^ yup. coming from a Miata/Honda/Porsche/BMW manual to almost any other make (who still sells a stick) will result in some amount of disappointment. i went from a Mazda to a G35 back in 2006 and felt the same way. that said, over time i made modification to tune the gearbox how i liked it.

bottom line: if you want a new manual, smaller entry-level luxury sport sedan, the G70 is your only option. so beggers can't be choosy and we'll have to adjust or modify with aftermarket parts - like many people do with many other cars as well. we'll also need to look to aftermarket for increasing power to where it should be closer to 290-300hp.

i tested the AT as well. it was fine, no complaints from a function standpoint. but if i wanted an AT the world would have been my oyster and choices are numerous. the G70 may not have come out on top. to be honest, i probably wouldn't have even looked at or known about the G70. the 6MT is what hooked me.
Agreed. The manual isn't the absolute best I've driven but it is pretty good considering the lack of MT options out there. I think any enthusiast would be happy with the 6MT G70. I'm definitely enjoying my manual G70 right now. :)

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I completely agree. While I would rate the MT from my previous TSX an 8/10, I would give the G70 a 6.5-7/10. Nevertheless, I am quite enjoying my G70 and I'm just happy that such a vehicle is still available for MT enthusiasts.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I completely agree. While I would rate the MT from my previous TSX an 8/10, I would give the G70 a 6.5-7/10. Nevertheless, I am quite enjoying my G70 and I'm just happy that such a vehicle is still available for MT enthusiasts.
^ sounds about right. a ~7/10 seems fair. the gearbox is fine, no deal-breaking concerns. could it be better? sure, but it certainly is not bad where an enthusiast would pass on it just because they wanted to duplicate their S2000 feel.

over the past few months i've grown to quite enjoy the 6MT as is. i'm sure i will tweak it down the line, but i've not yet had a concern to really vex me.

Samy

Registered Member
^ sounds about right. a ~7/10 seems fair. the gearbox is fine, no deal-breaking concerns. could it be better? sure, but it certainly is not bad where an enthusiast would pass on it just because they wanted to duplicate their S2000 feel.

over the past few months i've grown to quite enjoy the 6MT as is. i'm sure i will tweak it down the line, but i've not yet had a concern to really vex me.
I agree with that statement. I'm going to put an aftermarket knob and see how it goes. I believe it can be tweaked to be perfect.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I agree with that statement. I'm going to put an aftermarket knob and see how it goes. I believe it can be tweaked to be perfect.
Not sure a knob is going to change how it shifts at all. Maybe the comfort level of holding it!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not sure a knob is going to change how it shifts at all. Maybe the comfort level of holding it!
Holding you knob can bring comfort.

I've not had a manual for years, but for some cars there was a block you mounted below the shift lever and it shortened the throw. Would improve things.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Holding you knob can bring comfort.

I've not had a manual for years, but for some cars there was a block you mounted below the shift lever and it shortened the throw. Would improve things.
I love holding my knob. Left hand reversed...Japanese style...”feels like a different person”.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I love holding my knob. Left hand reversed...Japanese style...”feels like a different person”.
Sit on your hand till it is numb before handling your knob. AKA The Stranger!

AGD

Registered Member
Outskirts of Ottawa, in the Heart of Darkness...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In Canada there has been a performance recall, I guess you could call it. I used to find that the car wouldn't pull hard in first. It would lag, almost like traction control was kicking in and cutting power, around the 4.5 -5 k rpm range. Now since the fix, it pulls nice and strong all the way to redline without fault.

Also, who care about 0-60 times? Really? People keep talking and comparing on and on about 0-60 times ad nauseum. I understand the whole comparing how quick a car is, but I feel there is so much that is left out in that conversation. I personally have never tried timing how quickly my car can make it to 60.

We buy manuals because we want full control of our vehicles, and rowing our own gears bring a visceral satisfaction and feel that just can't be duplicated. I've owned and driven many manual cars in my day. The transmission in my G70 seems fine to me.

Maybe I'm just easy to please... G70.jpg

Samy

Registered Member
In Canada there has been a performance recall, I guess you could call it. I used to find that the car wouldn't pull hard in first. It would lag, almost like traction control was kicking in and cutting power, around the 4.5 -5 k rpm range. Now since the fix, it pulls nice and strong all the way to redline without fault.

Also, who care about 0-60 times? Really? People keep talking and comparing on and on about 0-60 times ad nauseum. I understand the whole comparing how quick a car is, but I feel there is so much that is left out in that conversation. I personally have never tried timing how quickly my car can make it to 60.

We buy manuals because we want full control of our vehicles, and rowing our own gears bring a visceral satisfaction and feel that just can't be duplicated. I've owned and driven many manual cars in my day. The transmission in my G70 seems fine to me.

Maybe I'm just easy to please... View attachment 19247
A performance recall? Is it the same in the US?

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What?!? How did you hear about this recall? I need it! Was getting frustrated with some soft spots on the rpm band.

Where else do you notice the difference? Anything down low, or is this more top end hp? I wonder if this will help level the playing field with competition.

I have enjoyed the 3rd gear most in the g70. I find i can almost lug it down to 1200-1500rpm around down and it pulls easily away especially going around corners, etc. Very tractable.