6MT Owners - Discussion Thread

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Understood. I have the manual and never heard of it. Do I go to the dealer and just ask?
Depending on the changes, it may just be done along with routine service next time you go in. If it was critical they would contact you. It is a performance change, not a safety issue.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Depending on the changes, it may just be done along with routine service next time you go in. If it was critical they would contact you. It is a performance change, not a safety issue.
This.

They should just do it on your next routine maintenance visit. Wouldn't hurt to ask about it when you schedule it, though.

MiataFunRun

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I test drove the AT 2.0 a few days ago and was excited to finally find something comparable in handling to my 2003 E46. Then I located a MT and was dissapointed. I have a 2017 ND Miata and never expected the G70 to be as good. But I did expect it to be close to my E46. Not even close. Throws are too long and rubbery. The clutch range is too long and the bite point too high up. It is the worse MT I have ever driven and that includes ones from econo boxes.

One of the popular mods for the E46 is to replace the rubber clutch stop with one that has a longer thread and that made a world of difference when I did that back in 2003. Maybe we can do something similar in the G70?

On my Miata, I replaced the transmission oil with Motorcraft Synthetic and that made for even smoother shifting especially in cold weather.

So, I have driven manual's all my life. Swore I would never by an AT. But now seriously considering going with AT in the G70. Maybe I just need to go test drive it again. Or I just may keep driving my E46 (230K on it now) till it dies.

Samy

Registered Member
I test drove the AT 2.0 a few days ago and was excited to finally find something comparable in handling to my 2003 E46. Then I located a MT and was dissapointed. I have a 2017 ND Miata and never expected the G70 to be as good. But I did expect it to be close to my E46. Not even close. Throws are too long and rubbery. The clutch range is too long and the bite point too high up. It is the worse MT I have ever driven and that includes ones from econo boxes.

One of the popular mods for the E46 is to replace the rubber clutch stop with one that has a longer thread and that made a world of difference when I did that back in 2003. Maybe we can do something similar in the G70?

On my Miata, I replaced the transmission oil with Motorcraft Synthetic and that made for even smoother shifting especially in cold weather.

So, I have driven manual's all my life. Swore I would never by an AT. But now seriously considering going with AT in the G70. Maybe I just need to go test drive it again. Or I just may keep driving my E46 (230K on it now) till it dies.

Trust me, I know what you mean. I’m coming from a Miata too. The problem is not the transmission. I mean it’s rubbery, but I’m getting use to it. The issue is the rev hang and that’s killing the driving sportiness.

The reason the clutch is soo light is because the car has a dual flywheel. With that you get less vibration and more comfort. However, you loose a lot of driving sensation.

I’ve put over 1500 miles on my car so far and I’m starting to appreciate it actually.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
the worst MT i've ever driven was a tie between my '84 jetta GLi and the '90's F150 that a work crew had on a job. the G35/G37 were not great until i modded them, but i'd say they were equal to the G70.

the G70 is far from the worst box/shifter/clutch out there, but no question it could certainly be much better. after a few thousand kms i have no issues with day to day operations and have no problem with smooth shifts or engagement, however i will plan on mods in the future for the shifter in particular. coming from infinitis i am used to a dual-mass flywheel, but the shifter throws and height of shifter are less than ideal.

again, beggers can't be choosers when it comes to MT market choices unfortunately. while less than perfect, the G70 box was obviously not a deal breaker for me. besides, MT actuation is a very personal aspect and i know many others who have no problems with the setup as-is. this is one of the aspects of driving MT that i appreciate to begin with - the interactive aspect of it.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I like the manual overall. The biggest area of improvement for me is the shifting feel/gates (I find it very easy to get stuck on a gate when aggressively shifting). Also, if the 2.0T didn't have that weird lower RPM dead zone that would also help make the G70 manual a sharper weapon. However, it is still a great overall package and it is enjoyable to drive.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ are you able to shed any light on the ECU update supposedly for the 2.0T 6MT trims? this was talked about by other CAD forum members, and the 'fix' apparently resolves some drive-ability issues and/or improves performance - possibly even adding boost. it was referred to as a recall but that should just be a TSB.

see below for a member's workorder when the work was done:

Samy

Registered Member
^ are you able to shed any light on the ECU update supposedly for the 2.0T 6MT trims? this was talked about by other CAD forum members, and the 'fix' apparently resolves some drive-ability issues and/or improves performance - possibly even adding boost. it was referred to as a recall but that should just be a TSB.

View attachment 19563
And also if you know when the US will get it.

MiataFunRun

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'll have to drive the MT again before deciding to go AT. Maybe the aftermarket will come out with a kit that makes it better. I just saw this review on the MT. I agree with his observations:

SecretSandwich

Registered Member
I'll have to drive the MT again before deciding to go AT. Maybe the aftermarket will come out with a kit that makes it better. I just saw this review on the MT. I agree with his observations:

Great review on it, thanks for posting.

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

View attachment 19563
I will be getting my 2.0T Manual's ECU updated next week so I will report back to you regarding its drivability!
And also if you know when the US will get it.
That I don't know but I would presume the US would get it if it is related to drivability.

eric22

i just picked up my 2.0t sport m/t. so after driving it almost 100 miles my impressions have changed. the shifting feel itself is not bad it's definitely the low rpm and rev hang that is ruining the driving experience. it just doesn't feel responsive.

Samy

Registered Member
i just picked up my 2.0t sport m/t. so after driving it almost 100 miles my impressions have changed. the shifting feel itself is not bad it's definitely the low rpm and rev hang that is ruining the driving experience. it just doesn't feel responsive.
There is also a power dip in the lower gear. I'm putting my JB4 and a short stick shifter soon. Will report back if anything changed.

" The manual version has a weird dip in power at the end of clutch engagement during first-gear starts. Genesis claims it's a feature, not a bug, promoting smooth starts. This goes against the enthusiast philosophy, and hopefully it will be defeatable in future versions. The nice quilted seats could benefit from extendable upper thigh supports, and I'd welcome a true manual mode on automatic-equipped versions without having to turn off the traction control completely. "

2019 Genesis G70 First Drive: Image is Everything - MotorTrend

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type