• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

6MT Owners - Discussion Thread

juicysauce

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I forgot to mention that I also bought Tuxmats for my G70....they fit really well and look fantastic. They did a great job keeping winter's mess from the inside of my car. Don't worry about the fit as they work equally well with a 3-pedal layout.
Thanks so much TW428 for sharing the picture of your Tuxmats. It doesn't look there would be an issue with the clutch, despite what the girl on the phone said from Tuxmat. I'm definitely going to order them now.

As for the ECU recall, I asked my Genesis Service Manager and he said there's no recall for the 2020's. I suppose it's only for the 2019's, which I'm assuming you have since you've had yours for five months now.

Samy

Registered Member
Regarding the shift knob, that's the message I got from my friendly Hyundai tech:

"Okay so I looked at the online repair manual. It appears it is a forked shifter shaft and you pull directly UP on the shift knob. The picture explicitly shows an arrow going UP from the shift knob. It also is the same transmission from the Genny Coupe (m6vr2). I highly doubt Hyundai would change the shifter shaft design.
This is probably the safer route since, if it is threaded, you'll have to pull INSANELY HARD on the knob to strip the threads.
If it doesn't budge, try loosening it by turning it counterclockwise. Gently.
I haven't seen the design of the shift knob, but be careful of the shift boot, you don't want to damage it."

Drezz

Registered Member
Rochester, NY, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Regarding discontinuation of manuals... the G70 number sounds about like the A4 situation that got the manual canceled. Sad. [Most of the manual enthusiasts are like me--no budget to buy new??]

From Jalopnik article ("The 2018 Audi A4 Ultra Sport Is How Audi Says Goodbye to the Manual Gearbox") quoting Audi Club of North America report:

The reality of today’s car market is that the fierce loyalty for manual transmission models simply doesn’t translate in sales. With the B9-generation, Audi AG permitted the USA and UK to retain the manual configuration in these cars even though they didn’t choose to do so in their home market of Germany.

Audi of America President Scott Keogh told club members at the recent Audi Club Nationals in Seattle that in order to get the manual approved for A4 and A5, he’d promised that transmission would account for 10-12% of sales. In reality, Keogh shared that manuals accounted for just 2-3%. Given such declining numbers, Germany could no longer justify its continuation.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think they should just sell manuals in limited trim configuration like the Design or Dynamic. One colour choice only inside and out and that way they don't have to worry about not being able to sell their manual stock.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone on the forum had their car in to the dealership for the ECU update? Does it eliminate some of the turbo lag or improve the throttle response?
^ i think NLJ had it done. could be wrong. someone did though! they said it felt better or more powerful afterwards. i don't think any 6MT owners have had it done. at first i thought it was only for 6MT trim, but now i believe it's for all CAD 2019 2.0T's. i'm looking forward to getting it done when i go in for the service.

if anyone else gets it done please provide feedback!

here was the work order showing the repair number from the member who had it done:

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just had my car in for its 1st service and they did complete the ECU update. Although it's not that pronounced, I believe that the turbo lag has been somewhat diminished following the update. I would be curious to hear what other drivers who have had the update, think of the change. I feel that there is an overall improvement in the responsiveness of the car but it's not a 'night and day' change.

Samy

Registered Member
I just had my car in for its 1st service and they did complete the ECU update. Although it's not that pronounced, I believe that the turbo lag has been somewhat diminished following the update. I would be curious to hear what other drivers who have had the update, think of the change. I feel that there is an overall improvement in the responsiveness of the car but it's not a 'night and day' change.
Where are located in the US or Canada?

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is exactly what I found. It's a tad more responsive but not huge. It's very subtle.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Eco mode feels more responsive. Smart jumps from Eco to Comfort much quicker!
The other modes feel the same to me.

Samy

Registered Member
What short shifters are available and any luck on the shift knob replacement anyone?
No. The Hyundai tech told me to pull on the shift knob but never told me how to remove the shift boot. I'm waiting for my first service to start modifying the car.

egwhite44

I just installed the Tuxmats on my G70 6mt.

I have big feet and tip or side of my shoe can sometimes rub against the mat when i have the clutch all the way down.

its not terrible though i can deal with it but its something to think about if you are going to buy the tuxmat with a 6mt.

juicysauce

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just installed the Tuxmats on my G70 6mt.

I have big feet and tip or side of my shoe can sometimes rub against the mat when i have the clutch all the way down.

its not terrible though i can deal with it but its something to think about if you are going to buy the tuxmat with a 6mt.
I ended up ordering the tuxmat for my 6MT too and I have absolutely no problem with the fit in regards to the clutch pedal. My shoe size is 9.5. My only small gripe is that the mat covers the foot rest so the nice marching aluminum foot rest doesn’t show but I suppose it says super clean!

egwhite44

I ended up ordering the tuxmat for my 6MT too and I have absolutely no problem with the fit in regards to the clutch pedal. My shoe size is 9.5. My only small gripe is that the mat covers the foot rest so the nice marching aluminum foot rest doesn’t show but I suppose it says super clean!
I should have mentioned i'm a size 13. I agree its a shame about the aluminum footrest.

Samy

Registered Member
Just bought the spark plugs to install my JB4. I've also ordered the BMS Pedal Tuner and the data cable. I just need to gather enough courage to remove the shift boot. My car has 4300 miles. I'll install it at 5000 miles after my first service.