• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

6MT Owners - Discussion Thread

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think we're overlooking a big reason there's no manual on the 3.3: the current transmission on the 2.0 is almost certainly a carryover from the Genesis Coupe, and I'm highly skeptical that it could handle 370-some boosted lb-ft. of torque from the 3.3. I'm certain the cost wouldn't justify creating an entirely new transmission (or significantly upgraded one) just for the 3-5% of people who would buy them.

Not that more manuals are a BAD thing... as long as Porsche still offers a manual 911, I have something to continue to aspire to.
I think you're right. Even so, I could've sworn I saw a manual option for the 3.3 back when I was poking around the Korean Genesis site... Can't find it now, so I'm probably wrong.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
just did a short road trip over the weekend. averaged 7.5l/100km (31mpg US) over ~350kms. speed was ~110-125km/h (70-80mph), 4 people and some gear in the trunk, A/C on half the time.

i'm satisfied with that fuel economy. i haven't seen over 30mpg in any of my cars for over 15 years since i had a civic.

Samy

Registered Member
just did a short road trip over the weekend. averaged 7.5l/100km (31mpg US) over ~350kms. speed was ~110-125km/h (70-80mph), 4 people and some gear in the trunk, A/C on half the time.

i'm satisfied with that fuel economy. i haven't seen over 30mpg in any of my cars for over 15 years since i had a civic.
I was able to get 34 MPG on the flat highway of Florida. The car. Has great highway mileage, but terrible fuel economy in the city.

juicysauce

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took delivery of my SI on Wednesday....the whole 'white glove' treatment from the folks at Genesis Yorkdale. I then took it to a local detailer to have some paint protection film added to the hood/fenders/headlights. I also picked up a set of TuxMats which I'm very pleased with. So far, I couldn't be happier with my new ride. One thing that I have noticed is that the leather boot on the shifter is pretty stiff and makes a noise when I shift. Anyone else notice this? Does the leather soften up?
Did you get Tuxmats fitted for the automatic transmission G70? Because when I contacted Tuxmat they said they don't make one yet for the G70 with manual, but some people who purchased the mat for the two pedal setup didn't mind it. I want to buy Tuxmats but not if it's not a good fit.

juicysauce

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey everyone. I just took delivery of my 2020 G70 2.0 with manual tranny and loving it. I thought I'd share with you my thoughts on driving the manual. First and foremost I'm still in my break in period so I haven't dared push it remotely close to redline so I cannot attest to any real performance issues. I would say shifting is quite notchy with longish throws for my liking. I previously drove a 2015 A4 with 6MT and that shifter was like butter...so I'm quite disappointed with the G70's notchy shifter even though I test drove it several times before purchasing. Speaking of test drives, one of the sticking points for me purchasing it at first was the armrest was in the way when shifting. My elbow would hit the armrest when shifting to 2nd, 4th, and 6th. I tried raising the driver's seat and that seemed to help but my head was getting close to the headliner. Miraculously once I started driving my own G70, the armrest didn't bother me.

The clutch feels great. I have no complaints there. It has a nice level of pressure and the grab point is spot on for me.

Driving the buttery shifter of the A4 for four years is still in my head. Either I get used to the G70's shifter or I may look to install a short shifter kit. Which by the way does anyone recommend one for the G70?

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
welcome to the club, juicy. i'd bet a shift kit comes available in the next 6 months. it'll likely be lifted from another HMC application but some tweaks may need to be done for the G70. the gearbox is derived on the Gen coupe 6MT but with a host of upgrades. so superficial things like a short shifter should transfer more or less.

juicysauce

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Congrats and welcome. What color did you get? I have not yet heard of a short shift kit for the G70. I have a feeling that mods specific to the 6MT will be few and far between, considering the reported 4% take rate on an already slow-selling car. :(
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm completely new to online forums. I've only ever lurked in the background and searched for information when needed, but I'm willing to add to discussions if I helps others.

I got Mallorca Blue with the red interior stitching and absolutely love the colour. Siberian Ice intrigued me but at the end of the day I personally don't like white for cars sometimes SI may look greyish, sometimes blueish, but it'll always have some white to it.

juicysauce

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So Canada already has 2020s?
Yeah I got mine about two and a half weeks ago. I didn’t even know it was going to be a 2020 until I was asked to choose which VIN I wanted.

Just a warning. I went through a huge ordeal with my insurance company just to add the car. Neither they nor even the Insurance Bureau of Canada had the 2020 G70 in their system. You think they’d be more prepared when a customer is taking delivery on a vehicle and they can’t even set up insurance rate on their end. Anyway, if you get a 2020 G70 just give your insurance company a call way early to ensure they can add the vehicle to your policy in time. I gave mine more than two weeks notice and they only were able to finalize everything right up until literally one hour before my vehicle was being delivered to me!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah I got mine about two and a half weeks ago. I didn’t even know it was going to be a 2020 until I was asked to choose which VIN I wanted.

Just a warning. I went through a huge ordeal with my insurance company just to add the car. Neither they nor even the Insurance Bureau of Canada had the 2020 G70 in their system. You think they’d be more prepared when a customer is taking delivery on a vehicle and they can’t even set up insurance rate on their end. Anyway, if you get a 2020 G70 just give your insurance company a call way early to ensure they can add the vehicle to your policy in time. I gave mine more than two weeks notice and they only were able to finalize everything right up until literally one hour before my vehicle was being delivered to me!
What's your monthly premium?
I was surprised that the G70 was more expensive than my TL but then I was informed that since it was a 1st Gen 1st year model vehicle, there was no baseline. So hopefully the rates go down now that it is in the 2nd MY!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ interesting. i went with Bel Air who was far cheaper than ICBC. they said i was getting a deal because they didn't have a high claims history for the G70...of course.
I'll check it out. I just did RBC cause they were the cheapest with home a few years ago. My wife went down with the 2019 Sorento but mine went up. So it's essentially a wash but still!

Samy

Registered Member
If anyone knows how to remove the stock shift knob, please let me know. Perhaps a member here knows a Hyundai tech? I'm looking to replace the stock shift knob, but I don't want to mess things up.

Samy

Registered Member
Update: I got in touch with a Hyundai tech. He's gonna check on the Genesis website to check what the repair manual says. Found him on Reddit.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Welcome to the forum, Juicysauce. I concur with your comments regarding the notchy feel of the shifter as well as the less than optimal armrest placement. Transitioning from a 2011 TSX (6MT), it was a step back in terms of the feel of the shifter as well as the superior positioning of the armrest in the TSX (which could slide forward for even more forearm support). Having owned my G70 for 5 months, I've definitely gotten used to it and I'm quite enjoying it....my TSX is now a distant memory. Has anyone on the forum had their car in to the dealership for the ECU update? Does it eliminate some of the turbo lag or improve the throttle response?

Samy

Registered Member
Sh
Welcome to the forum, Juicysauce. I concur with your comments regarding the notchy feel of the shifter as well as the less than optimal armrest placement. Transitioning from a 2011 TSX (6MT), it was a step back in terms of the feel of the shifter as well as the superior positioning of the armrest in the TSX (which could slide forward for even more forearm support). Having owned my G70 for 5 months, I've definitely gotten used to it and I'm quite enjoying it....my TSX is now a distant memory. Has anyone on the forum had their car in to the dealership for the ECU update? Does it eliminate some of the turbo lag or improve the throttle response?

Should be better with the JB4. Im installing soon and will report back.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I forgot to mention that I also bought Tuxmats for my G70....they fit really well and look fantastic. They did a great job keeping winter's mess from the inside of my car. Don't worry about the fit as they work equally well with a 3-pedal layout.

Attachments