Alternatives to G70?

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
anyone start considering the 2019 G20 3 series?
In early December I was considering holding off on the G70 to cross shop with the G20 m340i which has better performance numbers (which would only be natural given that the F30 series was seriously getting outclassed by the G70 and other competitors), but the front grille and fake vents just killed it for me, and it made my decision to get the G70 that much easier. The interior wasn't as big of an upgrade either after looking at reviews/videos of the G20. But they seem like good alternatives in the US (not so much in Canada where the price difference climbs significantly) if you can get past the looks, although the G70 should have much better incentives in mid 2019 to clear out for the 2020 model compared with the recently released G20 3 series.

Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In early December I was seriously considering holding off on the G70 to cross shop with the m340i which has better performance numbers (which would only be natural given that the F30 series was seriously getting outclassed by the G70 and other competitors), but the front grille and fake vents just killed it for me, and it made my decision to get the G70 that much easier. The interior wasn't as big of an upgrade either after looking at reviews/videos of the G20. But they seem like good alternatives in the US (not so much in Canada where the price difference climbs significantly) if you can get past the looks, although the G70 should have much better incentives in mid 2019 to clear out for the 2020 model compared with the recently released G20 3 series.
M340i (2018) is slower. Pretty sure that’s what you’re saying.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
M340i (2018) is slower. Pretty sure that’s what you’re saying.
I was referring to the 2019 model which is rated at low 4 seconds, and you know BMW underrates their engines/figures all the time. I was under the impression we were talking about the new G20, but I edited my post for clarity.

ACCHRM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No need to talk about modded engines, all stock for stock. I've had this itch of having a BMW forever, I saw the M340i at LA Autoshow and sat in it, at that point, I did not REALLY consider it, but after looking at more info, reconsidering the fact that the G70 is very small in the back, and if I'm getting rid of my Camaro 1LE, I want a fun car that is actually usable, otherwise no point of selling it, I started looking at the BMW. For a nicely optioned out 330i, with a few things that the G70 does not get (Ambient lightning especially) I might go for the 3 series. Also considering that I'm in car sales and am considering working for BMW soon, that might give me a good incentive for getting one as well. Time will really tell honestly. I've driven the current M3 and M4 and I'm honestly not interested in those at all, they feel very outdated.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
The G20 seems to be an all-around improvement, esp. in 2 key areas - driving dynamics and rear passenger space.

The front fascia is an improvement (still not as good as the old BMWs), but the rear/taillight design is bleh.

The worst, however, is the dash design. Too many shiny bits (where sunlight can get reflected into your eyes and overall, the design just looks cheap).

Not a fan of the G70's dash design either, but at least it doesn't look cheap like the G20's (Genesis, however, needs to upgrade the tablet screen ASAP).

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The G20 counterclockwise tachometer is so weird. I couldn't stand 10 secs looking at it. IMHO having a gauge moving in the opposite direction of the other gauges is brain challenging and a design flaw.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
No Android Auto in 2019. That is future proofing of some sort, and it's unacceptable for a modern luxury car to not have (in my opinion). Hyundai products have had it for years...

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No Android Auto in 2019. That is future proofing of some sort, and it's unacceptable for a modern luxury car to not have (in my opinion). Hyundai products have had it for years...
The new 3 Series will have over-the-air updates. So eventually it'll get Android Auto, and BMW will let you pay a subscription for the honor of using a feature already in your $50,000 car.

xyos

I’ve been doing a lot of research as I wait a few months for my lease to come closer to end and honestly I don’t know if there is many comperable cars to getting an advanced 3.3t for around 47-48k msrp, you can lease these for easy low 500s if not high 400s

ACCHRM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The dash on the G20 is the only one we have seen so far, they might come up with different options to remove all those shiny pieces and those silver trims are ugly. I also don't like the full digital cluster, one thing that is good about it is that you can have your full Nav displayed on it, aside from that, design-wise at least Im not a fan, I would go for the semi-digital dash with analog gauges. Last thing that bugs me big time is the super thick steering wheel. That might all change once I drive one when they come out in March

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nothing bad/wrong with keeping your options open. It will just make whatever choice you go with feel more comfortable.

lindros2

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I know this is counter-intuitive (for many reasons), but I'm cross-shopping the G70 with the Nissan Maxima.
After a number of 5-series (2008, 2011, 2013), I went with the cheaper option (2016 Maxima Platinum), and have been generally pleased. It's been reliable, semi-quiet (tires are horrible), and service has been outstanding (when I've needed regular maintenance, which is rare).
So now I'm looking at the G70, Kia Stinger GT, and the (very lightly revised) 2019 Maxima.
Side-note - I got a 36-month lease on the Maxima for $440/mo (nothing down). The new one sucks - due to higher money factor - it's >$650/month.
So I'm interested to see how much the Genesis (3.3T) will be...

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
I’m cross-shopping the G70 3.3T with a ‘19 RDX A-Spec 2.0T and the ‘19 CX5 2.5T. We currently have a ‘08 Maxima that is getting long in tooth but I plan to keep for 3rd/beater vehicle. Currently have a wife, 2 babies, and a dog. I strongly prefer the looks and handling of the G70 but the functionality of a CUV to haul the entire family + dog is enticing.

I like the RDX red interior as it’s almost on par with the black w/red stitching found in the G70. What I really like about the RDX A-Spec is the black out of all exterior chrome. I wish this was an option in the G70 as the door handles, sills, and the side vent flairs all need some form of treatment. The chrome just looks cheap as it reminds me of a Honda Civic or something a 60 year old man would find appealing.

I won’t buy German nor domestic so I’m left with Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and Hyundai products (won’t buy Subraru either). I may be open to Volvo but their price points are way beyond my budget given the features available.

Last edited:

Slides

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I’m cross-shopping the G70 3.3T with a ‘19 RDX A-Spec 2.0T and the ‘19 CX5 2.5T. We currently have a ‘08 Maxima that is getting long in tooth but I plan to keep for 3rd/beater vehicle. Currently have a wife, 2 babies, and a dog. I strongly prefer the looks and handling of the G70 but the functionality of a CUV to haul the entire family + dog is enticing.

I like the RDX red interior as it’s almost on par with the black w/red stitching found in the G70. What I really like about the RDX A-Spec is the black out of all exterior chrome. I wish this was an option in the G70 as the door handles, sills, and the side vent flairs all need some form of treatment. The chrome just looks cheap as it reminds me of a Honda Civic or something a 60 year old man would find appealing.

I won’t buy German nor domestic so I’m left with Honda, Toyota, Mazda, and Hyundai products (won’t buy Subraru either). I may be open to Volvo but their price points are way beyond my budget given the features available.
RDX is the superior choice if you want space and a kick ass AWD system.