Alternatives to G70?

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
^ G70 in Sport form has smoked chrome in all the elements you mention.
The nearest dealership to me is over 1,000 miles away at the moment but I should have a local option to go see them in person by mid february. Just doing a google search for the 3.3T Sport the “smoked” features are slightly better but still horrid for my taste. The grill is passable (barely) but that side vent is god awful (like someone went to a Kmart and bought a liquidation sale and stuck it right on). The door handles and door/window trim are diffucult for me to stand as well. I feel like every trim piece (even in smoked form) needs to be removed and plasti dipped in a matte black.

Here is an example of the A-spec where the grill, sills, and side skirt inlays are all blackout out as well as the floating roof and the rear lights enclosure. Comparing it to the G70 Sport below it highlights what I’m refercing.

40E2909D-5BCD-4C45-9D15-93D55871B43B.jpeg
C85B71C4-B3C9-494C-B7D0-089628BAE7C2.jpeg

Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The nearest dealership to me is over 1,000 miles away at the moment but I should have a local option to go see them in person by mid february. Just doing a google search for the 3.3T Sport the “smoked” features are slightly better but still horrid for my taste. The grill is passable (barely) but that side vent is god awful (like someone went to a Kmart and bought a liquidation sale and stuck it right on). The door handles and door/window trim are diffucult for me to stand as well. I feel like every trim piece (even in smoked form) needs to be removed and plasti dipped in a matte black.

Here is an example of the A-spec where the grill, sills, and side skirt inlays are all blackout out as well as the floating roof and the rear lights enclosure. Comparing it to the G70 Sport below it highlights what I’m refercing.

View attachment 17393
View attachment 17394

I think with time, there will be replacement accent parts... probably body colored, black, white, carbon fiber, etc

I hate it when luxury car makers chrome the heck out of cars.

Rmsanger

Not sure what you are talking about. The smoked chrome on the G70 looks awesome. If you don't like it (without even seeing it)...enjoy your Acura.
Here is the worst angle of what I’m refercing. The handles are passable but window trim is god awful and that fender flare is the cheapest thing since a 1999 Honda Civic with a fake R badge and a “fart can” on the back. It screams for some sort of treatment. Everything else is nearly perfect!

7C9A50C0-4BA2-4E0E-97E7-F832EB638BBA.jpeg

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ again...you have no clue.

1. All the "chrome" you are referring to is the same color as the wheels.
2. The side vent is functional.

Do your homework before going on stupid rants.

Rmsanger

^ again...you have no clue.

1. All the "chrome" you are referring to is the same color as the wheels.
2. The side vent is functional.

Do your homework before going on stupid rants.
Never said anything about functionality. I like the wheels but the chrome and even smoked chrome accents look more at home on a civic than a $50k Genesis. Even a ridiculous type R had the sense to black out more of their stylistic accents.

3F0A8F5F-CFA1-4273-996B-B7CD67ACE34B.jpeg

Toddasaurus

Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
While I can't say I agree with all your comparisons and sentiments, I do agree that the chrome (even dark chrome) would look better with an even darker color. Personally, I'm planning to plasti-dip most chrome accents with a black base and pearl top coat (specifically hyper graphite). I think it will give a really clean, subdued, yet also aggressive look. I'm excited as it will make an already rare, and unique car even more one of a kind.

For me, nothing else even comes close to ithe G70 on looks alone.

Rmsanger

Deal Lord. Move on dude...and buy a Civic. This car is apparently not for you. Enjoy the cheese slicer attached to your trunk.
It's almost like you don't read a word that I say, very dense.... I said the vehicle is almost perfect with the exception of a few trim pieces that stick out like a herpes on a supermodel.

Why would I but a civic with a cheese slicer?

Enjoy your chrome accents at the retirement home brotha!

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's almost like you don't read a word that I say, very dense.... I said the vehicle is almost perfect with the exception of a few trim pieces that stick out like a herpes on a supermodel.

Why would I but a civic with a cheese slicer?

Enjoy your chrome accents at the retirement home brotha!
I'm reading your shit very closely. You say the car is almost perfect...but you go off on a tangent and brutalize the trim without seeing it...especially when tons of people on here have confirmed it looks great. So you then post comparisons of the car to SUV's and Civic's. If you want to compare...show pictures of what you mean with cars similar in the G70's class.

And...again...there are NO chrome pieces on the Sport. How many times does this have to be posted. All the chrome on the Sport has a dark chrome treatment like the wheels.

Retirement home? WTF does that mean in all of this? If I am in a retirement home...and you are my brother...I guess you are close behind me?

Home in your skills brotha.

Last edited:

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Arguing over taste and aesthetics is pointless. If the guy doesn't like shiny bits, even if it's smoked out shiny bits, then he doesn't like them. Personally, I think if the look of the G70 isn't good, then that takes out most of the point of getting it. The Volvo S60 is probably better in the size class since it has the gloss black trim.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I never understand the hate on chrome, maybe it's my age and affinity for muscle cars but I like chrome, particularly on certain colours. On my Mallorca car I think the regular chrome trim really pops. But I see a ton of people with their vader'd out SUV's and other cars and while a few look decent to me I don't see the appeal, to each their own for sure. The G70 certainly turns a lot of heads in traffic with it's looks. I had a guy stop me in the parking lot the other day asking me about it so the chrome and fender trim doesn't seem to hurt that.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Seems like the Toyota Supra will be a price competitor to the higher-end G70. Base Supra comes in at $50,000 decently-loaded pre-destination charges, and the premium trim with upgraded infotainment and leather seats comes at $54,000. The G70 will have more practicality, features, and luxury, but the Supra will have better handling, be lighter, and have a great 0-60 at 4.1 seconds.

xKingfisher

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I agree with this; but, getting the entire grille wrapped/plasti-dipped may not even be possible. The clear plastic sensor shield may not be removable, so you might be stuck with the color of the chrome it covers.
The sensor does not 'cover' the grill, per se. It just has a similar pattern embedded inside it.
So it will not match unless you could buy a sport edition of the sensor and color the rest of the grille the same way.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Seems like the Toyota Supra will be a price competitor to the higher-end G70. Base Supra comes in at $50,000 decently-loaded pre-destination charges, and the premium trim with upgraded infotainment and leather seats comes at $54,000. The G70 will have more practicality, features, and luxury, but the Supra will have better handling, be lighter, and have a great 0-60 at 4.1 seconds.
Supra isn't a daily driver like the G70 though. Supra is a 2 seat sports coupe.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
What does everyone think of the new MB CLA? Interior is to die for and I like the look of the new longer CLA. AMG versions will come in over 400hp.
That interior doesn't do anything for me. The giant monitor stretched in front? IMO, we'll look back at that in 5? 10? years and laugh at how bad it is.

When it comes to tech in cars, Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have a perfect blend. An excellent, albeit bland, infotainment that is well-tested and should age well (AA/Carplay is all I need) plus analog gauges. I'd say my "biggest" criticism I have is linking climate numbers to the screen and not having a separate, and simple screen for the dual climate like I've seen in the newer Sonatas.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Supra isn't a daily driver like the G70 though. Supra is a 2 seat sports coupe.
Most reviewers who did the drive in Spain said it was comfortable on the road as well. They drove about an hour on roads, I believe. The original Supra was a GT after all, though obviously Toyota changed the mission by removing seats, shortening the wheelbase, and benchmarking Porsche. But caveats in the reviews would be:

- Road comfort was definitely not the focus of all the reviews so it may've just been acceptable
- Could just be "comfortable" for a sports car
- One reviewer said the roads were in pretty good condition compared to America

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.