Concerned about your light colored leather interior? Click here!

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
I have used it on my boat seats on occasion too (when careless mechanics left a mess) - but it is actually not recommended for use on vinyl and continual, repeated use can eventually damage a surface. Just a warning to those who may not know how it actually works.
I was referring to the Z-Tuff product as being great. I would never try to use a magic eraser by itself with just water on leather or vinyl. The Z-tuff cleaner actually comes with a "melamine sponge" which is basically a magic eraser. http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303331|2303335&id=1785472

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
I was referring to the Z-Tuff product as being great. I would never try to use a magic eraser by itself with just water on leather or vinyl. The Z-tuff cleaner actually comes with a "melamine sponge" which is basically a magic eraser. http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303331|2303335&id=1785472
Understood, but that is still abrasive as well. It's the nature of the open cell structure of melamine foam material so folks need to be careful if they choose to use it.

Mladen5375

Registered Member
PLEASE HELP!!

I've had my Ibiza Blue Genesis for 2 weeks now and I have realized that there are scratches on on the passenger side center console. The scratches are coming from the metal from the seatbelt hitting the center console as people are trying to find the clicker. I've tried to wipe it off with some automotive cleaner but its not coming off. Please could somebody recommend something I could try and get them scratches off? :mad:

Thank You

Attachments

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
If it's actual scratches, it's not coming off.

Is the console Ivory paint over black? If so that's the scratches.

I guess it could be metal transfer from the belt ends.

Mladen5375

Registered Member
jsmit86 thank you for the reply. I do have the protection plan that covers dents, scratches, spills etc. The only thing is I have to drive 45 minutes to get that done. I was hoping I could maybe, somehow, remove those scratches by myself but if it gets worse, I'll just take it in and wait 3+ hours for them to do their thing.

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
PLEASE HELP!!

I've had my Ibiza Blue Genesis for 2 weeks now and I have realized that there are scratches on on the passenger side center console. The scratches are coming from the metal from the seatbelt hitting the center console as people are trying to find the clicker. I've tried to wipe it off with some automotive cleaner but its not coming off. Please could somebody recommend something I could try and get them scratches off? :mad:

Thank You
The scratches on mine are much worse and not caused by the seat belt. It is from the rings on my wifes hand. I haven't found anything so I gave up and decided to just forget about it. If you find a good repair, please let me know.

Rick5086

Registered Member
I have a 5.0 in black and ivory. The console on both driver and passenger sides has black marks in the area of the seat belt. I've tried all of the standard cleaning products with no luck. It is apparently metal transfer from the seatbelt. If I can find a way to remove the marks , I think the best solution would be a transparent protective sheet similar to that applied to the back bumper.

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
I can't saw anything yet about my Ivory interior. But i had a light interior on my previous car and took good care of it with Leather Cleaner and Conditioners from Chemical Guys (Just what i use, lots of other good companies out there) and so far have never had a problem.

I'll post back in a few months to see how the leather looks. :)

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
Has anyone used the maguires leather wipes? My one concern with the heavier conditioners is I'm afraid of plugging the holes in the ventilated seats.

namorbrowneyes

Registered Member
Has anyone used the maguires leather wipes? My one concern with the heavier conditioners is I'm afraid of plugging the holes in the ventilated seats.
I like them. They work well for a quick, hydrating wipe-down after every drive especially after the gym..

Bud71

Hasn't posted much yet...
I've skimmed all these posts and do not see anyone discussing the small "airation" holes on an ultimate model. Ragner brought this up above. I'm assuming the small leather holes are to assist with both the heating and cooling of the seats.

I'm old school and used saddle soap in the past. However, I a bit hesitant to use anything that may clog these holes. Comments appreciated.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
I've skimmed all these posts and do not see anyone discussing the small "airation" holes on an ultimate model. Ragner brought this up above. I'm assuming the small leather holes are to assist with both the heating and cooling of the seats.

I'm old school and used saddle soap in the past. However, I a bit hesitant to use anything that may clog these holes. Comments appreciated.
I use a cleaner that is clear and water like. (Zaino Z9) For that cleaner, you can spray on a cloth and clean, or if needed, it can be sprayed on the seats.

I have used 2 other conditioners. One is Z10, which is a lotion. Put on on a towel first, and then apply to the seats. Don't goop it on, apply lightly. Buff off. You won't clog the holes that way.

I have also used a cleaner conditioner called "Surf City Garage Voodoo Leather Rejuvenator" Since that is a cream/lotion, apply to a towel, wipe and buff off.

xsolara

Registered Member
From what I understand the Genesis has a protective clear protection on the leather ..... so it should not need any super conditioners
Maguires leather wipes is all you should need

Scottish Guy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Crieff, Scotland, UK
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've got the beige interior, after 6 months my brown leather jacket has already stained the areas where my elbows rest on the
door and the lid of the centre compartment.

Also my red leather belt has started to stain the back of the drivers seat.
None of my attempts to remove the stains have worked.

Shoulda got the black interior.

God knows how people with white interiors and white leather seats keep them clean, driving around naked covered in clingfilm maybe ? :rolleyes:

zeez

Getting familiar with the group...
I have an ultimate with ivory interior

Is it true that the leather has a protective coating?

Can you use baby-wipes to clean the leather ? They seem to help but i feel like the seats need a more intensive clean and I'm not sure if the baby wipes do any damage

I also have a dark area that looks like it's from my belt, but can't seem to get it clean

Is Lexol good as a conditioner (this ties into the question on whether there is a protective coat)

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Protective coating or not it will eventually wear off, I used Griots or whatever and it stinks so bad, but does seem to protect it and give it its softness.

omegafiler

Getting familiar with the group...
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
303 multi-surface cleaner does a great job of removing most stains, even jeans and such. Whatever it can't remove, try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those little sponges will safely remove just about anything, from anywhere. Also handy around the house. Mandatory if ya got kids.

Then I follow up with 303 Protectant. In either case, always best to apply cleaners to a cloth first, then interior. All water based, no artificial odors, no greasy/shiny aftermath, etc. You're left with the natural feel and smell of the interior.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.