• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Concerned about your light colored leather interior? Click here!

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
From what I understand the Genesis has a protective clear protection on the leather ..... so it should not need any super conditioners
Maguires leather wipes is all you should need
Yes this is very true and never use an abrasive on the seats NEVER. If you remove the protective coating you'll have even more problems. Use a horsehair brush along with a premium Leather Care Cleaner and Protectant nothing more.

303 is far to caustic and is used primarily for fabric, carpet and vinyl, not leather. It's not recommended for leather even by the manufacture. Mr. Clean Erasers contain; Melamine, Formaldehyde, Sodium Bisulfite and are slightly abrasive. Again, this is something you do not want to use on the protective coating which is applied to auto leather. Long term use will remove the coating , dry out the leather and cause it to crack and deteriorate much more rapidly.

Best bet is to stay with known products that are designed for leather. There are many but my personal recommendation is Meguiar's and Chemical Guys products. They work quite well and are specifically designed to be used with auto leather. All you have to do is check MSDS's for both products. You'll understand.

Last edited:

Scottish Guy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Crieff, Scotland, UK
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
After 18000 miles, as I feared, the driver's seat, centre console and door arm rest are showing
signs of staining from jeans, belts and leather jackets.
Also signs of tiny cracking on the leather.

I would have preferred the dark interior, but model options, exterior and interior colour choices
were not available from the dealer.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
After 18000 miles, as I feared, the driver's seat, centre console and door arm rest are showing

I would have preferred the dark interior, but model options, exterior and interior colour choices

In your case the solution is easy. Put the steering wheel on the other side where it belongs.

Some tiny cracking is normal with leather. Using a conditioner helps. There are some lether cleaners that will do a decent job. Clean it as best you can and the conditioner will also help it stay cleaner.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type

I am in the same boat. My lighter interior has a few noticeable imperfections that a darker color would have covered or made undetectable.

I actually messed up my headrest by using a leather cleaner to try to remove a discolored area that I though was a stain. I made area larger. Now, I have to buy a new driver side headrest due to the leather has peeled. I will cover it up with a full sized neck pillow until I can pay $200 to replace it new or find a used headrest cheaper.

The ivory interior looks the best in my opinion, but it is the hardest to keep clean and maintain.

So far my drivers seat is the only area with any defects. I will check with an seat upholster to see if they can color match a scratch repair on the side bolster and apply some protection on the leather to prevent staining.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Any fix for small leather peel in the edge of hand rest.

View attachment 17712
Good luck. I tried to use leather paint to fix my headrest with similar peeling, but the ivory color is hard to match up. I tried mixing bone, ivory, and cream. But none match the Hyundai Ivory color perfectly. I got close but never a good match.

I will just buy a new headrest and call it quits. I will either buy a new seat cover or pay a seat upholster to repair the seat since they are better at color matching. I will go with the cheaper method.

I guess you may have to either buy a new armrest or pay some one to repair it. Unless you are good at mixing leather paint.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
LOL. My fix for the peeling headrest leather. An automotive neck pillow to cover it up.:)

Funny thing is that these neck pillows are very comfortable and supportive. I love it. I just wished that they came in a matching ivory color to match the seats better. However, black does go together well with the ivory seats/black interior trim and the matching black piping on the seats.

I may just save my $200 for a new headrest and just roll with the extremely comfortable neck pillow.:)

Last edited:

Scottish Guy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Crieff, Scotland, UK
Genesis Model Type
Nice one dude, obviously you are kidding ?

You wouldn't dare defile the interior with such a Dollar Store butt-ugly add on.

I may have to hunt you down and exact terrible retribution for crimes against good taste.

You have been warned. o_O

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Nice one dude, obviously you are kidding ?

You wouldn't dare defile the interior with such a Dollar Store butt-ugly add on.

I may have to hunt you down and exact terrible retribution for crimes against good taste.

You have been warned. o_O
HAHAHA! Hey, it is better than looking at the eyesore of my peeling headrest. Plus, the pillow actually feels good on my long commute to work. I feels so restful.

As it stands, the pillow is here to stay. Hell, my wife wants one for her Lexus since she like how it feels also. :)

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I found a better option to hide the peeled headrest leather. Sport team headrest covers!!! I went with my team the Atlanta Falcons and they actually hide the headrest blemish well.:)
I will not pick a light colored interior over black if I choose again. Light colored interiors are too hard to maintain and even to repair.

It not perfect, but it beats paying $300 for a new headrest. Kind of matches the rest of the black and ivory interior design scheme in the cabin.

Whitey

Registered Member
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type
I found a better option to hide the peeled headrest leather. Sport team headrest covers!!! I went with my team the Atlanta Falcons and they actually hide the headrest blemish well.:)
I will not pick a light colored interior over black if I choose again. Light colored interiors are too hard to maintain and even to repair.

It not perfect, but it beats paying $300 for a new headrest. Kind of matches the rest of the black and ivory interior design scheme in the cabin.
Hey carguy, those look surprisingly good to me. Got a link to see what other options are available?

While I'm only 3 wks into my '16 Ultimate with the Ivory, I just love it. Everyone that gets in is stunned by the beauty of the interior. She shows zero wear and is prob 99% perfect, with the exception of a few minor spots that I'm having a detailer clean when I have a Paint Correction performed next week. It came off a 3-yr lease in SoFL and the lessor obviously took care of her, but I'm shocked at how filthy some of the above interiors are in this thread. I'd have to guess it's harder to maintain for those in States where seasons come into play, but sheesh. A good 'in-out' detail done every 3-6 months will keep those seats sparkling bright. And having had black interiors in past vehicles, just can't go back to that added heat element lol. 😰

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Hey carguy, those look surprisingly good to me. Got a link to see what other options are available?

While I'm only 3 wks into my '16 Ultimate with the Ivory, I just love it. Everyone that gets in is stunned by the beauty of the interior. She shows zero wear and is prob 99% perfect, with the exception of a few minor spots that I'm having a detailer clean when I have a Paint Correction performed next week. It came off a 3-yr lease in SoFL and the lessor obviously took care of her, but I'm shocked at how filthy some of the above interiors are in this thread. I'd have to guess it's harder to maintain for those in States where seasons come into play, but sheesh. A good 'in-out' detail done every 3-6 months will keep those seats sparkling bright. And having had black interiors in past vehicles, just can't go back to that added heat element lol. 😰
LOL. I purchased my 2015 Genesis used in 2018, so the damage was already done when I bought it; so I was able to get a good price due to the cosmetic defects. However, I did not account for the difficulty in color matching the Ivory leather. I could usually repair and color match black leather seats easily with leather paint. Unfortunately, the Ivory color is hard to color-match without being noticeable.

Here is a link for the headrest covers.
New 2pc Set NFL Pick Your Team Car Truck SUV Van Headrest Covers Automotive Gear | eBay

Whitey

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
LOL. I purchased my 2015 Genesis used in 2018, so the damage was already done when I bought it; so I was able to get a good price due to the cosmetic defects. However, I did not account for the difficulty in color matching the Ivory leather. I could usually repair and color match black leather seats easily with leather paint. Unfortunately, the Ivory color is hard to color-match without being noticeable.

Here is a link for the headrest covers.
New 2pc Set NFL Pick Your Team Car Truck SUV Van Headrest Covers Automotive Gear | eBay
Hey carguy, sorry wasn't implying that you let it get that way lol. I should've been more clear that I'm just surprised at how anyone could let it reach that point - how does one let a headrest get to a 'peeling' stage without doing something about it sooner? o_O Obviously, the prior owner of yours was not very clean or simply didn't care.

I was never good at that kind of touch-up repair stuff, but I'll take your word that the Ivory presents a challenge with its unique color.

Oh, and thanks for the link. They look sharp and very clean on yours.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Thank you. No offense taken. I also was wondering how the last owner damaged the leather so quickly in only 3 years. My only guess is that the driver wore hair clips that scratched the headrest leather.

I actually like the sport themed headrest very much. The headrest shows much love for my team and hide the headrest blemish as well.:)

LOL. I actually miss my neck pillow comfy support, so I ordered a smaller version that only supports the neck so I will see how it looks before deciding to keep it or not. My old neck pillow was just too big and a bit of an eye sore.

Last edited:

Whitey

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
LOL. I actually miss my neck pillow comfy support, so I ordered a smaller version that only supports the neck so I will see how it looks before deciding to keep it or not. My old neck pillow was just too big and a bit of an eye sore.
I wasn't going to bring up your prior pic of that monstrosity, lol. :eek: But hopefully you'll find one that works and is more palatable to the eyes.