Dead pedal / “Engine falls flat” potential fix..

In order to assist others who are experiencing this issue, please contribute:

• Total voters

RickA1

Registered Member
My take? The whole magnet thing intended to help "pressure build" for the "ram air feature". Now let us just think and reason for a few moments ...... How much pressure is actually needed and at what speed to gain any # of performance? Is there a BIGGER benefit of more fresh air at any given time or during specific throttle openings? The flapper being held closed until X pressure (REGARDLESS OF SPEED or PRESSURE) may be irreverent/non-existent BUT the amount of cooler or volume of air at the same given speed may be a bigger benefit. Yes? No?

SS
Hmmm....

What??

a6ft6inguy

Hasn't posted much yet...
I was informed that Hyundai used a slower throttle control module. At one time there was a vendor selling one on here that was supposed to be almost instant. If I remember right it was around 300 bucks. I would like to find out if it is still available...

RickfromChicago

Hi Everyone,

As the owner of a 2015 Genesis Sedan V6 for the last 6 months or so, I have always thought that the car felt sluggish accelerating from a stop, up to about 3,000 to 4,000 rpm's, and even felt sluggish at other times as well.

After reading posts on this issue, I decided to open up the air filter box and simply remove the small magnet in the flapper door (very easy to remove) and keep the other magnet in the housing. Now, the door flips open easily without the magnetic attraction between the door and the housing.

The difference in response and acceleration is staggering. Very happy with this simple and easy fix to improve performance.

daviderle

Registered Member
Hi Everyone,

As the owner of a 2015 Genesis Sedan V6 for the last 6 months or so, I have always thought that the car felt sluggish accelerating from a stop, up to about 3,000 to 4,000 rpm's, and even felt sluggish at other times as well.

After reading posts on this issue, I decided to open up the air filter box and simply remove the small magnet in the flapper door (very easy to remove) and keep the other magnet in the housing. Now, the door flips open easily without the magnetic attraction between the door and the housing.

The difference in response and acceleration is staggering. Very happy with this simple and easy fix to improve performance.
That is excellent news, I beleave you are one of the first G2 owners who have tried a version of this mod with positive results.

daviderle

Registered Member
If I was a gambling man I would say there will be two flappers, one in each air intake box.
It would be interesting to see what impact (if any) this mod would have on the (2015+) second generation 5.0L model?
This thread refuses to die, I wish there is a way to edit the poll to separate both first and second gen results (SAM/OFG?).

RickfromChicago

In the V6, there is one air box, so only one flapper door.
In the V8, with it's two air boxes, I would bet that there would be a magnetized door in each box.
Let us know.

chris41

Registered Member
Cleveland
I was informed that Hyundai used a slower throttle control module. At one time there was a vendor selling one on here that was supposed to be almost instant. If I remember right it was around 300 bucks. I would like to find out if it is still available...
https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-285-at.aspx

Doesn't make the car faster, but basically tightens up the gas pedal so the response to pressing the pedal feels more instant. Reviews are generally very good.

Resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery always makes the car much more lively for a brief time, and may give the false impression that the flapper door mod is the cause. I know many have commented on the lag improvement w/o resetting the ECU.

And just to add to the mix: you can try re calibrating the gas pedal. I did this in my Chrysler 300 every time it started to feel sluggish. Feels similar to resetting the ECU with the battery disconnect...the difference is noticeable, pleasing, but not super huge. I usually keep this to myself because some people don't believe it, and some ask their God knows all mechanic and flame me because their God tells them otherwise. I tried it once on my G2 Genesis and it worked for me.

Turn on the car all the way but don't start the engine. When all the check lights go off in several seconds, slowly press the gas pedal all the way to the floor, hold it a second, slowly release and repeat. Turn the car off. Done! Now start the engine and take it for a spin. Throttle response should feel more eager. Again, this is not going to turn the car into a racer, but you should notice a difference. If you don't feel this does anything that is fine. I do and that is really all that matters.

patrick49

Registered Member
Austin, TX
Hi Everyone,

Good to hear, going to check this out myself.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
This (taking out the bug flap) was the first thing I did to my 2013 rspec when I got it a few months back. Overall response seemed better for sure.
BUT I still have a major issue in a particular situation. And like others have said, most likely the programming in these vehicles.

Say driving 60mph on a divided road, slow to a stop in order to uturn (legally) and from a slight roll turning hard left...floor it and see what happens. In mine it acts like it is in neutral, rpms blast up to near redline and nothing happens.
I let off gas to settle the engine for a second or 2 then reapply throttle and off we go like a bat out of hell

As I amy typing this I want to try the same maneuver in manual mode to see if it holds gear fine.

Happy learning this interesting vehicle!

daviderle

Registered Member
This (taking out the bug flap) was the first thing I did to my 2013 rspec when I got it a few months back. Overall response seemed better for sure.
BUT I still have a major issue in a particular situation. And like others have said, most likely the programming in these vehicles.

Say driving 60mph on a divided road, slow to a stop in order to uturn (legally) and from a slight roll turning hard left...floor it and see what happens. In mine it acts like it is in neutral, rpms blast up to near redline and nothing happens.
I let off gas to settle the engine for a second or 2 then reapply throttle and off we go like a bat out of hell

As I amy typing this I want to try the same maneuver in manual mode to see if it holds gear fine.

Happy learning this interesting vehicle!
I would say the engine Reving up like that, with no forward motion is not a normal behavior, as I do not recall ever seeing a post with this description.

It certainly does not happen to me under similar situations, although my car is unique as it has an after market paddle shifters, that I explicitly use for this sort of maneuver.

daviderle

Registered Member
Well, All I can say, between that, the ESC disable mod and the rear 285 tires, did make the lack of progress on the 5.0 ECU tune project a tad more tolerable :rolleyes:...

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have noticed in many other similar situations...that if I roll into the throttle a little bit. Vs a full floor plant, the delay is never a problem in automatic.
If I am in "manual" mode, I have no issue with a full on floor of the go petal because the tranny shifts perfectly when I let it go up to 6500rpm and manually shift.

All of this to say...I want to do a drain and fill ASAP

Machinist125

NJ
I removed the magnet from the flapper and noticed a nice improvement in throttle response. I can now floor it from a 5-10mph roll and roast the tires. Something my 13' 3.8 never did before. Throttle response is much better at all speeds and I've noticed I don't need as much throttle to get the car to do what I want. It's not a 100% fix but it's close. I also noticed no loss in mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the info peoples

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.