Dead pedal / “Engine falls flat” potential fix..

In order to assist others who are experiencing this issue, please contribute:

• Total voters

CRSpec

Registered Member
Tampa
I installed the K&N filter over the weekend and removed the flapper. The change was huge for me.

The magnet and the spring rate for the flapper door was very stiff, this fixed my dead peddle.

MPG was not affected in any way, in fact, Ive seen slight improvements and under normal driving conditions and when needed to change lanes or accelerate when needed the response is night and day difference.

:cool:

Thread starter #183

daviderle

Registered Member
I installed the K&N filter over the weekend and removed the flapper. The change was huge for me.

The magnet and the spring rate for the flapper door was very stiff, this fixed my dead peddle.

MPG was not affected in any way, in fact, Ive seen slight improvements and under normal driving conditions and when needed to change lanes or accelerate when needed the response is night and day difference.

:cool:
Wonderful to hear, another happy customer... :grouphug:

Noobism

Hasn't posted much yet...
How easy is it to remove the flapper? I own a 2011 4.6, and have the dreaded dead pedal, and would love to see some smoother acceleration.

CRSpec

Registered Member
Tampa
How easy is it to remove the flapper? I own a 2011 4.6, and have the dreaded dead pedal, and would love to see some smoother acceleration.
Its really easy, you pull off the filter box top, remove the filter, and under it you will see the flapper door.

Its held on by 1 screw I believe its a 10mm, take that off and slide the door out, and its done. Dont be afraid to use a bit of muscle, I had to. :rolleyes:

Noobism

Hasn't posted much yet...
Look at the very first post, you will see the one screw that you need to remove.
Thanks, gonna go try this out.

EDIT:

So I took mine off, and can definitely feel better responsiveness when giving it gas. One thing I did notice when I took it off was some sand/build up. Not sure if it's something to worry about.

Last edited:
Thread starter #188

daviderle

Registered Member
Please take time to update poll so we can continue to scientifically prove the benefits of this mod (including the different variations).

Thank you all :grouphug:

CRSpec

Registered Member
Tampa
Thanks, gonna go try this out.

EDIT:

So I took mine off, and can definitely feel better responsiveness when giving it gas. One thing I did notice when I took it off was some sand/build up. Not sure if it's something to worry about.
I installed a K&N filter at the same time I did this mod, when I installed my intake after 2 months of driving with the mod, I saw no dirt or sand build up.

You should be fine.

hokie1525

Registered Member
So I attempted the mod on my 2015 V6. I removed the magnet completely. Didn't really have a noticeable (albeit by my untrained "eye") impact on performance. I wonder if anyone else noticed that.

RickA1

Registered Member
So I attempted the mod on my 2015 V6. I removed the magnet completely. Didn't really have a noticeable (albeit by my untrained "eye") impact on performance. I wonder if anyone else noticed that.

REALLY????? I was planning to do that this coming weekend. You have no idea how excited I was thinking the lag was going to be gone...

So how difficult was it? Damn those are really bad news.....

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have a 2015 V6. I initially removed my magnet completely so the door rested on the opening and would open without resistance with induction suction but didn't feel a difference. I then flipped the magnet so the door is always open ajar and honestly didn't really feel a difference then either. I went ahead and just left it like that just in case it wasn't just the placebo effect everyone was experiencing.

Thread starter #195

daviderle

Registered Member
This mod. was intended and tested (with data on V8 2009 & 2013) on the G1 version (2009-2014) to solve a specific issue, where the engine does not respond to the throttle input under certain conditions.

it was never intended to to 'enhance' performance in any way.

Idealy the ECU should be reset (by removing the battery terminal) after the mod is preformed, so the ECU can more quickly adapt to the new intake changes/parameters.

RickA1

Registered Member
This mod. was intended and tested (with data on V8 2009 & 2013) on the G1 version (2009-2014) to solve a specific issue, where the engine does not respond to the throttle input under certain conditions.

it was never intended to to 'enhance' performance in any way.

Idealy the ECU should be reset (by removing the battery terminal) after the mod is preformed, so the ECU can more quickly adapt to the new intake changes/parameters.
Yes, this is clear. I'm just looking to eliminate the throttle response lag. I thought that the magnet trick would do it. Maybe I will still try it......

hokie1525

Registered Member
Interesting. So if I don't reset the ECU, does that mean the adaption will be gradual? How long do I have to remove the battery terminal? Sometimes if you don't remove long enough it won't reset anything, no? Will this reset all of the presets on my radio?

Thread starter #198

daviderle

Registered Member
Interesting. So if I don't reset the ECU, does that mean the adaption will be gradual? How long do I have to remove the battery terminal? Sometimes if you don't remove long enough it won't reset anything, no? Will this reset all of the presets on my radio?
That is correct, from what I observed on the G1 the reprogramming is gradual and would take driving around 200 miles (Idealy with 'aggressive style, on G2 I would propose in sports mode using manual shifting as much as possible).

On the G1 the recomendation is to remove the negative terminal for at least 10 minutes or more.

I can't recall how much of of radio get reset, but on the G1 it will definitely will reset the GPS portion.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
I am one of the ones with a G1 that was absolutely thrilled with the difference. Just to be specific, the issue was at a rolling stop, where you accelerated from a speed of say 10 to 20mph. It doesn't do much for a drag launch, that response was immediate already. And for higher speeds, I think it is more a matter of the transmission trying to decide which gear it wants to be in. But for turning into traffic from an almost stop, and needing to accelerate quickly, the difference was phenomenal. Can't speak to how well it works for a G2. And I never had to unhook the battery to see the difference.

ssiperko

Registered Member
IL
My take? The whole magnet thing intended to help "pressure build" for the "ram air feature". Now let us just think and reason for a few moments ...... How much pressure is actually needed and at what speed to gain any # of performance? Is there a BIGGER benefit of more fresh air at any given time or during specific throttle openings? The flapper being held closed until X pressure (REGARDLESS OF SPEED or PRESSURE) may be irreverent/non-existent BUT the amount of cooler or volume of air at the same given speed may be a bigger benefit. Yes? No?

SS

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.