• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Driver seat issues and dealership woes

ventogt

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Unless it is an extremely low volume dealer, they can request specific trims in their allocation. Many dealers will also do dealer trades in order to get what you want. Hopefully Genesis changes their model in the near future and moves to one similar to BMW, Audi, etc. where a customer can order a custom build rather than relying on prebuilt models.
The biggest challenge for me is the Manual. There are 6 cars [if you drop the 2 off the list from Carvana and Vroom] within 200 miles and another 4 if I look up to 250. There are few manuals, but I get it, and I'm happy Genesis offered it...honestly it's the only reason I'm interested in the car, though the rest of the package is great value and very nice, to me the third pedal is the most important piece.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The crappier of the two near me really shows they dont like genesis. I have no idea why they're still selling them. They have a few Genesis cars on the lot, but they park them in the back where they can barely be seen in the huge sea of Hyundai Konas and Santa Fes they have on display right up front, on the turn tables, and rows and rows of them.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The crappier of the two near me really shows they dont like genesis. I have no idea why they're still selling them. They have a few Genesis cars on the lot, but they park them in the back where they can barely be seen in the huge sea of Hyundai Konas and Santa Fes they have on display right up front, on the turn tables, and rows and rows of them.
That's just sad..

ventogt

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That seems to be the case here in MA as well; I think there is maybe one dedicated Genesis dealer in the state, if even a single one. Searching the Genesis website, all of the dealers have "Hyundai" in their names. The dealer I went for a test drive with had cars practically stuffed upside down and backwards, the 10 or so G70s crammed in between Konas and Elantras and was a really dumpy lot.

Attachments

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ventogt

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No manuals of the 18 in New London unfortunately. Leased my Lexus GX460 from Herbie in Hingham

kikaniparth

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just wanted to post my own dealer experience. I got mine from Genesis of West Houston/ Brookshire Hyundai. This is a relatively new dealership so it looked very nice and modern. When I first walked in, they had a G70 right up front, a G90 off to the side, and a Sante fe sitting by itself in the other direction. They probably had about 10-12 G70s, 20+ G80s, and like 5-7 G90s on the lot from what I could see. There may have been more G90s, but I really wasn't paying too much attention to anything other than the G70.

The sales rep I got had actually just been hired like two weeks before so he barely knew anything about Genesis cars, let alone Hyundais. That really didn't put me off because he was new, so I wasn't expecting much anyways. I was able to get an acceptable deal on my lease. My dealership actually seemed very excited for Genesis, especially the finance guy that did the lease. They said they liked the cars and they want to do the separate Genesis only dealership next to their Hyundai dealership. Whether that actually happens, will depend on their sales probably.

I've done a couple service appts now, I dropped them off each time because I just had the free time. I also don't want anyone else driving my car. I think my dealership is just pretty good overall, because they were nice and everything went very smooth. I just took my ipad and looked at some cars on the lot while I waited. They have a decent waiting area, but it's definitely one place that could be improved. Like the other posters on this thread, I also think each ownership experience depends on the dealership and Genesis absolutely can't let that behavior slide like Cgo got from their dealership. If they're not even excited about the car, why even get the cert? They need to hurry up on the standalones. Most Hyundai sales reps just aren't trained to be luxury car salesmen and can't provide that experience.

elsid88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also wanted to add my dealer experience hoping that my experience becomes more of the norm over time than what Cgo has experienced as I feel this adds just as much value to the brand as the quality of the vehicle.

I purchased my G70 from Dean Team Genesis of Ballwin, MO. I found that they were very accommodating, easy to work with and provided information that allowed me to make the right purchase that fit my situation. Since the purchase, I have had to bring the car in for some minor cosmetic work that they are taking care of without question and have offered valet service, but I felt necessary to be present to point out things. So far they have provided a G80 while they had my car for a few days. Some final work needs to happen next week and I'm sure another Genesis will be waiting for me to use while they finish up my car.

They currently have 30 plus G70's as well as some G80's and G90's in inventory and told me that they will be building a separate store for the GENESIS brand in the next 18 mos or so next to the Hyundai store they have today.

Tkpoint22

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I also wanted to add my dealer experience hoping that my experience becomes more of the norm over time than what Cgo has experienced as I feel this adds just as much value to the brand as the quality of the vehicle.

I purchased my G70 from Dean Team Genesis of Ballwin, MO. I found that they were very accommodating, easy to work with and provided information that allowed me to make the right purchase that fit my situation. Since the purchase, I have had to bring the car in for some minor cosmetic work that they are taking care of without question and have offered valet service, but I felt necessary to be present to point out things. So far they have provided a G80 while they had my car for a few days. Some final work needs to happen next week and I'm sure another Genesis will be waiting for me to use while they finish up my car.

They currently have 30 plus G70's as well as some G80's and G90's in inventory and told me that they will be building a separate store for the GENESIS brand in the next 18 mos or so next to the Hyundai store they have today.
Man, that’s nice to hear, and I’m honestly a bit jealous. but my experience with them has been less than pleasant. They don’t seem eager to make a deal. I’ve only experienced a condescending, take-it or leave-it approach and they act offended by counter offers, like I’m crazy for wanting to get a deal on a model that’s been out for a year, and a car that’s been on their lot for months.

For reference, my last conversation was:

3.3 prestige. I have access to Circle A and know there’s 3,500 lease cash.

Me: at this point we’re just talking manufacturers incentives. What can you guys do below that given the car’s been on your lot for months and we’re one month away from the 2020s.

Them: if you didn’t use the circle A, we could discount it. But we’re not going to since you’re getting Circle A

Me: wait, but don’t you guys get reimbursed for Circle A and lease cash? Seems like you make more money off me buying if I use Circle A

Them: yes and yes. we do.

Me: so how about we work together to get me in this car.

Them: nope, and your MF will be .00049, not the .00009
And then they basically play the “good luck finding another dealer with 300 miles, so go f yourself”

IMO, Circle A and lease cash only just isn’t good enough given 2020s will be out in no time.

Motivated buyer here, but unlike any other car dealer I’ve ever been to, they just haven’t appeared to have much motivation to sell.

Mind if I ask if you could break down the deal you got and car you bought?

I noticed someone just bought a 3.3 red Prestige, but otherwise they’ve had mostly the same 11 3.3’s on their lot for the past 3 months.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In all fairness, when I have used my Mazda dealer incentives or Ford they tell me they will not haggle or let any other incentives apply either.

They are different programs and they have no incentive to combine.

kikaniparth

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Man, that’s nice to hear, and I’m honestly a bit jealous. but my experience with them has been less than pleasant. They don’t seem eager to make a deal. I’ve only experienced a condescending, take-it or leave-it approach and they act offended by counter offers, like I’m crazy for wanting to get a deal on a model that’s been out for a year, and a car that’s been on their lot for months.

For reference, my last conversation was:

3.3 prestige. I have access to Circle A and know there’s 3,500 lease cash.

Me: at this point we’re just talking manufacturers incentives. What can you guys do below that given the car’s been on your lot for months and we’re one month away from the 2020s.

Them: if you didn’t use the circle A, we could discount it. But we’re not going to since you’re getting Circle A

Me: wait, but don’t you guys get reimbursed for Circle A and lease cash? Seems like you make more money off me buying if I use Circle A

Them: yes and yes. we do.

Me: so how about we work together to get me in this car.

Them: nope, and your MF will be .00049, not the .00009
And then they basically play the “good luck finding another dealer with 300 miles, so go f yourself”

IMO, Circle A and lease cash only just isn’t good enough given 2020s will be out in no time.

Motivated buyer here, but unlike any other car dealer I’ve ever been to, they just haven’t appeared to have much motivation to sell.

Mind if I ask if you could break down the deal you got and car you bought?

I noticed someone just bought a 3.3 red Prestige, but otherwise they’ve had mostly the same 11 3.3’s on their lot for the past 3 months.

Genesis really needs to get on with their standalone dealer program. They can't be turning away customers through bad customer experience. Every car maker will have bad dealers, but it just sucks that some of the Hyundai dealers aren't as excited about Genesis like us and other dealers.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What about just making a firm offer on your end, and you'll sign today kind of deal? Sounds like you know exactly where the numbers lie. Also the 2020 have been out for a while in Canada so the 2019 definitely feels like last year's model here complete with depreciation.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Is your dealer Pohanka?

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
What a mess! Unless Hyundai is very careful, Genesis will go the same way as Infiniti and Acura. My experience with corp customer service was not good.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wonder if some dealers aren't promoting the Genesis cars because they don't want to have to step up to the expectations that Genesis corporate and the customer would have.
My dealer does a reasonable job of showing off the new G70, and they offer loaners (when they have one) and pickup service (which I haven't tried), but their service is severely lacking.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What a mess! Unless Hyundai is very careful, Genesis will go the same way as Infiniti and Acura. My experience with corp customer service was not good.
Infiniti and Acura are still popular, just tier II luxury. I dont think Genesis could ever be tier I anyway.

Regardless, I dont think they will succeed as a stand alone brand with the delaerships' attitude.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wonder if some dealers aren't promoting the Genesis cars because they don't want to have to step up to the expectations that Genesis corporate and the customer would have.
My dealer does a reasonable job of showing off the new G70, and they offer loaners (when they have one) and pickup service (which I haven't tried), but their service is severely lacking.
I think you're right that current Hyindai dealerships dont want to step it up because there really arent any incentives for them too. They make their money off of the Hyundais and Kias which are low cost and low effort for them.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums