• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Driver seat issues and dealership woes

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think that is a bit shortsighted. The G90 could and does take sales from BMW and Mercedes. G70 and G70 likewise. They are not competing against Acura and Infiniti.
I totally agree. G90 is also A8 nabber. But...have to admit...not too much can touch the crazy insane tech of the new A8 (fully loaded). But look at the stupid cost.

I love the G90...and would take it any day over MB or BMW. If I was a rich wanker...perhaps I would take the A8.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think that is a bit shortsighted. The G90 could and does take sales from BMW and Mercedes. G70 and G70 likewise. They are not competing against Acura and Infiniti.
Just my opinion. The German brands have the history, heritage, and polish that a new brand just cant match. Unfortunately, brand image still means a lot to many shoppers. However, Lexus was able to achieve top tier image, so there is a chance if they can get some nice, stand alone dealerships in place. The current strategy isnt working. Folks are willing to pay more for a luxury experience. Genesis advertises thatvexperience, but many of us havent experienced anything close to it. I've been treated better at Chevy, FCA, and Ford dealerships than I have at so called Genesis (Hyundai) dealerships.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just my opinion. The German brands have the history, heritage, and polish that a new brand just cant match. Unfortunately, brand image still means a lot to many shoppers. However, Lexus was able to achieve top tier image, so there is a chance if they can get some nice, stand alone dealerships in place. The current strategy isnt working. Folks are willing to pay more for a luxury experience. Genesis advertises thatvexperience, but many of us havent experienced anything close to it. I've been treated better at Chevy, FCA, and Ford dealerships than I have at so called Genesis (Hyundai) dealerships.
You approach the luxury market from a single angle. Yes...Genesis has issues...and I’m sure things will improve. Value is in the name...sure.

You do not need years to prove your product. Do the research and get it right up front.

That’s the illusion that’s being broken. Do it right the first time...you’re set...right? Some beg to differ with constant negativity.

But...product wise...Genesis has it. Hands down.

Their vehicles are above and beyond what any other manufacturers can dream of touching for the cost. No need to get into specifics.

Simply...ultra prestige quality for 15-20% less in cost with better warranty...and proven reliability. Like...really...umbrella company and their products have surpassed Porsche!

I’m a believer!!...and an owner (for a reason...hint...research).

Charlie’s you’re aunt.

Last edited:

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
My experience with a 2015 Genesis sedan was middling at best. Never did I feel true luxury--not the car and certainly not the dealer(s). The vibration at idle with the AC on was abysmal. That was fixed, sort of. The sunroof broke. It was fixed, sort of. I thought it had a pretty good sound system for an automobile until I listened to one in an LS460. The seat was uncomfortable after about two hours of driving. I had to slam TF out of the doors to close them. The brake rotors had to be replaced at 150 miles, and I had to beat the dealer over the head for that. A wheel lock broke when I had the crappy OEM tires replaced. HCC would not warrant the defective wheel lock. It never drove straight, even though I had three different wheel/hub/brake shops try their best. Being a lease, I turned it in 3 months early with 29000 miles.
The whole experience left me not wanting another Genesis, and not even wanting another Hyundai, even though my 2006 v6 Sonata is a remarkable car. And compared to a lot of people on this forum, my experience was pretty good.

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
But you are describing a 2015 Hyundai. You are a bit out of date for this discussion and that dilutes your points.
Does my negative experience not affect the brand image? Brand image takes time to mature. Besides, the sunroof is still an apparent disaster in the 2019 G70.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That’s correct. The the only way you can get history is over time. You had said “I dont think Genesis could ever be tier I anyway.”

Glad you have modified your judgement. However we really don’t know their current strategy. We only know the current situation. Only in hindsight will we see what their actual strategy is. My opinion though is that they are not aiming to be second rate.
In not a brand loyalist and so far, this car has been sub par compared to all of my other current and past vehicles. I've had issue after issue with the car and the service. My experience may be abnormal, but I can only speak for myself.

They may not be shooting for second but they definitely arent even close to second at this point. They've got a long way to go. Sure, the cars are good for an upstart new brand, but again, the service and dealer experiences are nowhere near where they need to be to compete with the established luxury brands.

They also have a long way to go in the reputation and brand image department. Right now, folks see them as fancier Hyundais at best. At least in my neck of the woods.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You approach the luxury market from a single angle. Yes...Genesis has issues...and I’m sure things will improve. Value is in the name...sure.

You do not need years to prove your product. Do the research and get it right up front.

That’s the illusion that’s being broken. Do it right the first time...you’re set...right? Some beg to differ with constant negativity.

But...product wise...Genesis has it. Hands down.

Their vehicles are above and beyond what any other manufacturers can dream of touching for the cost. No need to get into specifics.

Simply...ultra prestige quality for 15-20% less in cost with better warranty...and proven reliability. Like...really...umbrella company and their products have surpassed Porsche!

I’m a believer!!...and an owner (for a reason...hint...research).

Charlie’s you’re aunt.
Yeah, i researched the hell out of this car before I bought it. Reviews are amazingly good, but now I think are overrated. I'm a car enthusiast and have been my entire life.

BMWs are overrated too, so I'm not biased here. BMWs are horrible after a few years. I had high hopes in the new 330, but when I was shopping for one, I was very disappointed in the low rent plastics inside the cabin especially for the price.

I had concerns with the Genesis dealership thing due to the way I was treated during my shopping and the lack of knowledge from the sales people.
However, I took the risk due to the big bang for the buck. I was shopping in the $65k range, so this car saved me about $20k.

However, the car is not as quiet inside as the reviews make it seem, weld spatter under the paint, fish eyes in the paint in various places, dead seat motor after 300 miles, an audable wobble over 60 mph (bent rim or not balanced properly), a slow moving passenger mirror, a leaky HVAC duct in the console, and dealerships who say most of that is normal and nothing they can do because of lack of parts? Really? Oh, and no loaners, no valet, but I can wait in the lobby or take the courtesy shuttle home. Ultimate luxury experience my arse. What good is a 100k mile warranty if the service departments "cant find anything wrong..." or "dont have the parts available, have to call tech in South Korea to get status of availability."?

First model year woes probably, but I digress.

Sure, value for the money, but there's obvious signs of cost cutting.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmmm...sounds like a crock of shit. One off bizarre shit which sounds one off.

I stick to a great company...oh well. Go how you will. Good luck,

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmmm...sounds like a crock of shit. One off bizarre shit which sounds one off.

I stick to a great company...oh well. Go how you will. Good luck,
Not a crock of shi*, just sharing my experience. Maybe I got a Friday car or something.

Only 2000 miles on my car, so I haven't given up on it yet. I'm hoping the dealerships get their acts together soon; maybe when the SUVs come out. In the meantime, I'm taking it back to the dealer I bought it from which is 2 hours away. Tiny facility, but they were knowledgeable and run by South Korean immigrants who are Hyundai/genesis enthusiasts. Hoping they can get the mechanical issues sorted out.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not a crock of shi*, just sharing my experience. Maybe I got a Friday car or something.

Only 2000 miles on my car, so I haven't given up on it yet. I'm hoping the dealerships get their acts together soon; maybe when the SUVs come out. In the meantime, I'm taking it back to the dealer I bought it from which is 2 hours away. Tiny facility, but they were knowledgeable and run by South Korean immigrants who are Hyundai/genesis enthusiasts. Hoping they can get the mechanical issues sorted out.
Btw...I definitely worded that wrong. Was not implying that you were lying. I meant your car was a shitty one-off.

Good luck.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Btw...I definitely worded that wrong. Was not implying that you were lying. I meant your car was a shitty one-off.

Good luck.
No worries. So far just minor issues which could be easily and quickly fixed by a competant repair shop which seems hard to find around here...

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
UPDATE: So I tried another dealership that is about 40 minutes away. Everything seemed great. Customer service was good albeit still no loaner. They do have them and I was also assigned a personal service manager for all future service needs. He said next time to call him personally and he would arrange a valet or loaner.

Anyway, I had the oil changed and also asked them to check the wheel balance because I knew there was an issue from day one but previous dealers refused to do anything about it because they couldn't recreate the symptoms. These guys didnt even try. They simply said they would check all four wheels no problem.

They changed the oil and found two wheels out of balance and fixed it. Yay!

I checked over the car for dings and blemishes and found that one of the wheels was totally curbed and touch up paint applied. Here we go again. The manager got involved and flatly denied they did anything. Said I must have hit a pot hole on the way over or cubed it myself. It isnt actually curbed. It looks to me as if the wheel fell on its face on the asphalt when they took it off. Its pitted and scored all the way around but not scraped like would happen while rotating.

They basically accused me of the damage and touch up paint. They said they would "try and help me out" by having their wheel repair guy try to improve it but that the cost would be on me and I'd have to take a day off work to drop the car off. Ibwas obviously pi$$ed st the whole ordeal and the gall of them accusing me of trying to pull a fast one on them. I have up and left because they werent budging and i had another appointment to get to.

Once I finally got home i noticed the invoice said they used Valvoline. I called and asked if it was synthetic and the answer was that they used whatever came up by my VIN. I reminded them that the manual and sticker under the hood recommends Quaker State or similar that meets ACEA A5 or higher spec which Valvoline isnt. They said they use the same oils for all the Hyundais and that they dont carry any other oil... wtf looks like I'm changing my own oil which I usually do anyway but thought I'd actually take advantage of the free oil changes. How hard could it be... wrong again.

I regret buying this car because of the dealerships.

Attachments

kikaniparth

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
UPDATE: So I tried another dealership that is about 40 minutes away. Everything seemed great. Customer service was good albeit still no loaner. They do have them and I was also assigned a personal service manager for all future service needs. He said next time to call him personally and he would arrange a valet or loaner.

Anyway, I had the oil changed and also asked them to check the wheel balance because I knew there was an issue from day one but previous dealers refused to do anything about it because they couldn't recreate the symptoms. These guys didnt even try. They simply said they would check all four wheels no problem.

I checked over the car for dings and blemishes and found that one of the wheels was totally curbed and touch up paint applied. Here we go again. The manager got involved and flatly denied they did anything. Said I must have hit a pot hole on the way over or cubed it myself. It isnt actually curbed. It looks to me as if the wheel fell on its face on the asphalt when they took it off. Its pitted and scored all the way around but not scraped like would happen while rotating.

They basically accused me of the damage and touch up paint. They said they would "try and help me out" by having their wheel repair guy try to improve it but that the cost would be on me and I'd have to take a day off work to drop the car off. Ibwas obviously pi$$ed st the whole ordeal and the gall of them accusing me of trying to pull a fast one on them. I have up and left because they werent budging and i had another appointment to get to.

Once I finally got home i noticed the invoice said they used Valvoline. I called and asked if it was synthetic and the answer was that they used whatever came up by my VIN. I reminded them that the manual and sticker under the hood recommends Quaker State or similar that meets ACEA A5 or higher spec which Valvoline isnt. They said they use the same oils for all the Hyundais and that they dont carry any other oil... wtf looks like I'm changing my own oil which I usually do anyway but thought I'd actually take advantage of the free oil changes. How hard could it be... wrong again.

It just sounds like all the genesis dealers in your area are crap. I feel for you, they really need to separate from Hyundai dealerships entirely and form Genesis Only dealers.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Just enjoy it.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just enjoy it.
Pretty hard to when a simple visit to a dealership for simple service results in damage and flaws in a vehicle I try to keep flawless (like all my vehicles). If I damaged my car, it wouldn't bother me as much. I'd just fix it and move on.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'd recommend the next time you drop off your car for any service, have the service advisor do a walk around to inspect your car. That way everything is documented. My service guy actually takes pictures of the whole car, so maybe even suggest that.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Is Genesis North America aware of all of these incidents?

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
Is Genesis North America aware of all of these incidents?
That's a very interesting question. The cynic would ask "Do they care?" If the dealers (Hyundai vs Genesis) are not fully segregated, what is the status of the customer care departments (Hyundai vs Genesis)? I don't see a future for the brand unless and until there is a wall between them and a serious house cleaning.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums