• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Excessive intake valve buildup

Philth

Been here awhile...
Another item that I don't think has been addressed. What if Hyundai Corp. finds out that this BG GDI cleaning service was done while in warranty. Dare I say that this is a possible cop out for any future intake system related issues?

Southern Boy

Registered Member
So I guess the performance loss is noticeable on the Hyundai engines or was he just generalizing? It would seem that if one lets the build up accumulate too much that a cleaner isn't going to do the trick and the dealer is going to have to remove the valve cover and blast it off. I bet that costs a lot more than $119.

That's why it's BS that this issue isn't covered by the 100k powertrain or at least the 50k b2b warranty. They should put the routine cleaning on the maintenance schedule for the GDI engines if it's going to be considered a wear item.
Look I’m not looking to get into an argument here.

I don’t have a GDI engine in my car, but reading through all of the different procedures on how to accomplish the cleaning of the carbon build up on the intake valves of a GDI engine, I decided to ask the only fully ASE certified technician who services my car what procedures he follows to accomplish the removal of the intake valve carbon build up.

He is the only technician who works on my car and I have taken the time to build a relationship with him and the senior service writer at my dealership. I trust both of them to do what is required to keep my car in top notch condition and not push anything on me that is not required. I can also pick up the phone and talk directly to either of them any time I have a question or problem and get a straight answer.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
What's the capacity; how often do you have to dump it?

plans? I might even put one on my Oldzuzu...LoL.

I'm sure any universal catch can would work. For me, I spent $30 on parts from Home Depot and built my own using a compressor oil/water separator filter that is completely unnoticeable. Also, it's clear so I can when it's full of blow by and simply unscrew the bowl and dispose of the gunk.

zielritter

Been here awhile...
Union, KY
What's the capacity; how often do you have to dump it?

plans? I might even put one on my Oldzuzu...LoL.
I literally just put it in a couple weeks ago. I haven't had to dump it yet but at the current rate I would say every 2 months give or take a couple weeks.

The web page doesn't list a volume but I would estimate the capacity at around 3 ounces. It is very lightweight and small and therefore discreet.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Thanks. I got one from JEGS for my Oldzuzu and it's been collection vaporized oil just fine. Some user on my Oldzuzu board is in a pissin contest now with me arguing that 'modern' engines don't need such devices. LOL.....of course he also thinks the oil is from 'worn rings' and valve guides. LOL

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Carbon build up is a GDI issue in general, with multiport injection you had fuel to wash the valves. I watched my friend clean a bmw 335i in his garage, it's not hard if your semi mechanically inclined and got free time and a spare car to drive.

path914

Getting familiar with the group...
I think that it's in the owners manual that you are to add a fuel treatment to a tank of fuel every 7500 miles if you don't use high detergent fuel in your vehicle.
That will not provide any benefit for this particular issue as fuel does not flow over the intake valves in a gdi engine.

pilotdane

Registered Member
North Carolina
My wife's GDI Lexus is currently at the dealer having the engine pulled for this issue. From what I gather they planned up front for new pistons (a somewhat unrelated issue) but a new block is a remote possibility. Primarily they are cleaning or replacing the valves and replacing the valve seals to try and reduce the amount of oil making it onto the intake valves.

The piston replacement is because they used low tension rings in an effort to improve fuel economy. They allows more oil past contributing to carbon buildup on the pistons. The new ones apparently will have more traditional rings.

Really has me considering a snot cup for my Genesis.

stevenmalone

Hasn't posted much yet...
I work as a BMW advisor and of course we recommend top tier fuel (www.toptiergas.com). I still see carbon build on (especially on direct port injection vehicles) and I guess its all these fuel companies using crappier contents in their fuels. I heard an additive is recommended very often, as well as top of top tier gas stations (per some technicians I work with).
Some BMW 335's have this issue and SES lights come on; the tech goes in and cleans it up for a nice fee and customers are happy again with the performance restored.

kf4zra

Registered Member
Tampa, FL
I work as a BMW advisor and of course we recommend top tier fuel (www.toptiergas.com). I still see carbon build on (especially on direct port injection vehicles) and I guess its all these fuel companies using crappier contents in their fuels. I heard an additive is recommended very often, as well as top of top tier gas stations (per some technicians I work with).
Some BMW 335's have this issue and SES lights come on; the tech goes in and cleans it up for a nice fee and customers are happy again with the performance restored.
since the gas never touches the top of the valve on a direct injection engine, how exactly does using a top tier gas do anything to keep the valves clean?

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Perhaps he's talking about exhaust valves, which see everything coming out of the cylinder (and yes I know the thread and most of the discussion is about intake valves)?

Last edited:

pilotdane

Registered Member
North Carolina
I thought it was an excuse to slip in some advertising.

My wife got her car back from Lexus. New pistons, piston rings, valves and valve seals not to mention all the required engine gaskets and fluids that have to be chunked to get to the pistons & valves. Talk about an expensive warranty repair.

kf4zra

Registered Member
Tampa, FL
Perhaps he's talking about exhaust valves, which see everything coming out of the cylinder (and yes I know the thread and most of the discussion is about intake valves)?
exhaust valves i could see, but intake valves make no sense.

I dont remember another post about exhaust valves in this thread though. If this were a non gdi engine, i could see how the gas could help intake valves.

Still waiting on his answer.

Sixtyfour

Hasn't posted much yet...
Re: Excessiver intake valve buildup

You better make sure you put it back exactly like it was from factory. Otherwise you may have voided your engine warranty. I would never take apart car engine while it is in warranty even though I have rebuilt several engines. Let the dealer do their job of providing the free service checks and repairs if needed under warranty.

Good luck with getting Hyundai to stand by their warranty, with a new car and 3500 miles on it they told me "it's not a warrantable issue" I not sure what luck your have with the factory, dealers seem like they want to help, but.....

EXBMWGUY

Been here awhile...
Hmm... having thoughts about trading in my non GDI 2011 4.6 for a new Rspec because of this problem.

Found some interesting reading concerning GDI engines and carbon issues.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/ask-an-engineer-gdi-problems-in-a-nutshell/
This article has been referred to many times here. And no doubt, DI engines have been presenting problems to owners of some - not all - car companies. At the same time, DI is here to stay and will be in all the newer, smaller engines for years to come. Manufacturers will have to get it right. I don't think DI alone is a reason not to buy a particular car, even at this stage of the cycle.

Potty_Pants

Been here awhile...
Instead of changing plugs , points, trans oil every 15k.

A walnut blast for $300-600 every 50k.

Sucks they havent fixed the deposit problem and we really dont know
If hyundai is prone to it. Not that big a deal. The money you save in gas mileage
Can be put towards the cleaning

Ppp

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums