flutter @ 25-30mph

Rass

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yep, that's the sound!
Yea. Mine did the same thing with 22k miles on it. I ended up trading it in yesterday. The resolution before trade was to shim the drive shaft. My fear was that it would come back as the trans got older.

Rass

Genesis Model Type
Yea. Mine did the same thing with 22k miles on it. I ended up trading it in yesterday. The resolution before trade was to shim the drive shaft. My fear was that it would come back as the trans got older.
I forgot to mention that I test drove another car as I was selecting my trade. It was a 2015 with 18k miles...had a flutter as well. Not as loud but there if you knew what to look for. I pointed it out to the sales rep, and he went inside to talk to someone about it. I love my car other than that sound. The trade cost me a few thousand, so I hope it doesn't show up with my "new" car.

kocyk123

Registered Member
Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
I currently have mine at the dealership. Of course they could not reproduce the sound because by the time I got there, it went back to normal. I told them that I will leave the car there and that they should try in 4 hours so they can hear the noise again. I showed two vids to the technician and he said that it for sure is not the driveshaft... I told him that replacing the driveshaft propeller fixed problem for people on the forums. I will keep everyone updated. In the meantime, I am driving 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate. Not bad but I want my Genny back already :)

Rass

Genesis Model Type
I currently have mine at the dealership. Of course they could not reproduce the sound because by the time I got there, it went back to normal. I told them that I will leave the car there and that they should try in 4 hours so they can hear the noise again. I showed two vids to the technician and he said that it for sure is not the driveshaft... I told him that replacing the driveshaft propeller fixed problem for people on the forums. I will keep everyone updated. In the meantime, I am driving 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate. Not bad but I want my Genny back already :)
Good Luck man! I hope they find a resolution for you!

DWIL80

Hasn't posted much yet...
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Just got a call. They cant reproduce it.... I am going to pick it up and bring it on the trailer next time
Did you specify that it happens between a speed range? Mine was only happening between 25 and 35 mph, especially while coasting.

kocyk123

Registered Member
Streamwood, IL
Genesis Model Type
I did specify when it happens and how to reproduce... It is just one of the dealerships that does not want to bother with stuff like that. I spoke with the manager of sales (guy who always gets me loaners and helps with other things) and he said he is sorry and that my best bet would be to try different dealership (I like that he was honest). I will bug them next time I will do the oil change. I will bring the car the night before, leave it there and take keys with me. I will come back the next day and ask technician to go for a ride with me.

tib

Genesis Model Type
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the fluttering noise @25-30mph on my '16 4WD 3.8, and thanks to the info on this forum I convinced the dealer to replace the propeller shaft assy , and for a short time it was noise free, but then the fluttering noise came back intermittently , not as loud, and mostly on coasting and deceleration.

Anybody who had the propeller shaft replaced had the flutter come back with the new part?
Is it possible that somehow the new part was not installed properly? Should I pressed the dealer to recheck the install, or even replace the propeller shaft again?
Anybody knows exactly what is causing the propeller shaft to make the fluttering noise at exactly 25-30mph, not less, not more?

Rass

Genesis Model Type
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the fluttering noise @25-30mph on my '16 4WD 3.8, and thanks to the info on this forum I convinced the dealer to replace the propeller shaft assy , and for a short time it was noise free, but then the fluttering noise came back intermittently , not as loud, and mostly on coasting and deceleration.

Anybody who had the propeller shaft replaced had the flutter come back with the new part?
Is it possible that somehow the new part was not installed properly? Should I pressed the dealer to recheck the install, or even replace the propeller shaft again?
Anybody knows exactly what is causing the propeller shaft to make the fluttering noise at exactly 25-30mph, not less, not more?
I ultimately traded my car in, but Hyundai Tech line had the mechanic try a number of things on my vehicle. The shaft was replaced, but the sound was still there. The next step was inserting a shim that stopped the sound, but caused a vibration at take off. I think they finally resolved the issue, but I was on to a new vehicle by then. The process sucked, and I ended up being punished for wanting out of a new(to me) vehicle that had a pre-existing condition. I even test drove another 15 Genesis that had the sound on the test drive

tib

Genesis Model Type
In a previous post somebody mentioned about similar problem with '05 Acura RL. I did find it on their equivalent forum, same symptoms, but in their case, the noise is described as a whistle, whine, squeal or howl.
I managed to find the Service Bulletin for '05-'10 Acura RLs : Whistle, Whine, Squeal, or Howl While Driving Between 20–45 MPH . It's a similar two piece propeller shaft and the probable cause of the noise described in the bulletin is the center support bearing.

The last sentence caught me eyes: "If there is noise or vibration, disconnect and rotate the propeller shaft 180 degrees from its current alignment
with the rear differential companion flange, then test-drive the vehicle again", as I'm thinking that maybe in my case the new part was not installed properly.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
In a previous post somebody mentioned about similar problem with '05 Acura RL. I did find it on their equivalent forum, same symptoms, but in their case, the noise is described as a whistle, whine, squeal or howl.
I managed to find the Service Bulletin for '05-'10 Acura RLs : Whistle, Whine, Squeal, or Howl While Driving Between 20–45 MPH . It's a similar two piece propeller shaft and the probable cause of the noise described in the bulletin is the center support bearing.

The last sentence caught me eyes: "If there is noise or vibration, disconnect and rotate the propeller shaft 180 degrees from its current alignment
with the rear differential companion flange, then test-drive the vehicle again", as I'm thinking that maybe in my case the new part was not installed properly.
Had the prop shaft in my '05 RL replaced. It had about 15 or 20,000 miles on it. Never expected to have so many issues with a Honda product.

picubob

Had the prop shaft in my '05 RL replaced. It had about 15 or 20,000 miles on it. Never expected to have so many issues with a Honda product.
I have a 2015 ultimate as well. started at 15k now have 25k still have the flutter. Same experience with dealer. I am wondering if any of the skid panels are the culprit, caused by aerodynamic harmonics at that speed range. It seems there is too many of us for it to be a drive shaft balancing issue.

Roland

Genesis Model Type
I have taken my 2015 Genesis to the dealer at least 5 times since I first noticed this noise shortly after I purchased it in March 2015 and have not been able to fix it. After nearly 3 1/2 years and 63,000 miles the car continues to make the noise. It only happens between 30 and 35 mph but stops after driving for more than 10-15 minutes (at higher speeds). Shifting to neutral when the noise is present has no effect on it. It has not gotten louder with time and doesn't seem to affect driveability.

g_232482

Does it sound like this?
If so then it's the same issue as on this thread.i thought mine was coming from the sunroof, but it was the driveshaft. My dealer replaced the sunroof, then the transfer case, then the driveshaft. Nothing worked, and the dealership resorted to shimming it to eliminate the sound. Which then caused a vibration at take off. I traded it in shortly thereafter for another Genesis without the sound.
Exactly what i have too!

Francism.ca

Genesis Model Type
I just got this issue with my car. Exact same fluttering. Has 24,000 KM.

I am calling my dealership now. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Brucekgreen

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I started noticing the fluttering problem between 25-30mph on my 2015 Genesis 3.8 AWD about four months after purchasing. Exact scenario as others in this thread and other threads on this forum have described. Goes away after about 15 mins. driving. Sometimes it's louder than other times where I can actually hear it over the radio. Sounds like it's coming from under the hood. Been to the dealer four times for it, and after trying different things, removing panels under the hood, messing with the injection system they could not figure it out. Hyundai technician was dispatched and tech diagnosed as the Evap Purge Valve. Replaced the Evap purge control solenoid. Still has the flutter problem. Some of the other folks in this forum have had their drive shafts replaced and I was just wondering if that fixed their fluttering problem. Can any of you confirm? Thanks..
How hard was it to change that evap purge valve? I have that as a a current code and bought the part. I’m just having trouble locating where to replace.

g_627232

Does it sound like this?
If so then it's the same issue as on this thread.i thought mine was coming from the sunroof, but it was the driveshaft. My dealer replaced the sunroof, then the transfer case, then the driveshaft. Nothing worked, and the dealership resorted to shimming it to eliminate the sound. Which then caused a vibration at take off. I traded it in shortly thereafter for another Genesis without the sound.

Yes, it's the exact same sound

mpower22

Yeah I have this exact sound also, taking it in to get it looked at. I also have a rattling noise, I think coming from the right side of the car when I hit moderate bumps at speed. Its not the following:
  1. Sunroof: don't have one
  2. Seat-belt hitting the door, makes the same noise when the seat belt it buckled.

Could the two be related?