flutter @ 25-30mph

FornicatorSteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yeah I have this exact sound also, taking it in to get it looked at. I also have a rattling noise, I think coming from the right side of the car when I hit moderate bumps at speed. Its not the following:
  1. Sunroof: don't have one
  2. Seat-belt hitting the door, makes the same noise when the seat belt it buckled.
Could the two be related?
Do you have the rear sunshade? Mine was rattling over bumps and it was annoying. Dealer didn't want to fix it because they couldn't replicate it (and because it required the whole back of the car and trunk liner to come out), but after I got rear ended, I never heard it again.

If not, I'd go along the headliner and press and make sure it's all situated properly. I'd also check the manual shade for the rear windows.

mpower22

Do you have the rear sunshade? Mine was rattling over bumps and it was annoying. Dealer didn't want to fix it because they couldn't replicate it (and because it required the whole back of the car and trunk liner to come out), but after I got rear ended, I never heard it again.

If not, I'd go along the headliner and press and make sure it's all situated properly. I'd also check the manual shade for the rear windows.
I don't have any rear sunshades its a base model. Lets see what the dealership says.....

Last edited:

mpower22

All, just got my car back after a week. Dealer replaced the prop shaft and the noise is gone. I'm at 14K miles lets see if this is a permanent fix....

FornicatorSteve

Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
All, just got my car back after a week. Dealer replaced the prop shaft and the noise is gone. I'm at 14K miles lets see if this is a permanent fix....
Glad to hear your dealer listened and solved the problem.

Might be able to buy the Hyundai Platinum Extended Warranty if you plan on going beyond 60k (if it happens again before you come to the end of your warranty period).

mpower22

Glad to hear your dealer listened and solved the problem.

Might be able to buy the Hyundai Platinum Extended Warranty if you plan on going beyond 60k (if it happens again before you come to the end of your warranty period).
Yeah was a great experience actually....I'm leasing and only have 12 more months less so long term not an issue for me....

biswasd

2015 3.8 HTRAC Ultimate here...

Just got my driveshaft replaced under warranty for the "flutter" --- it's been a week and cold here in the mornings. NO more flutter.

My service manager, Mike Adams, @ South Charlotte Hyundai was fantastic to work with - class act.

Hyundai Corporate on the other hand --- not so friendly or helpful.

P.S. mileage = 20000

i rarely drive this car except to and from work....

mpower22

Yeah I wonder is this an abnormal wear issue or some sort of imbalance that gets worse with mileage? Mile started at about 10K miles, have 15K now. Yes my dealer was great Hyundai Corporate was not helpful. Just like with most brands find a good local dealer, be reasonable with the service department, make a personal connection with the service manager, and these things go much smoother......

biswasd

It would be interesting to log here in this forum the long term outcome of the driveshaft replacement. Whether the problem returns after replacing the propeller and shaft assembly specifically.

MyGenesis5L2015

Genesis Model Type
Exactly what i have too!
Yes!
When cold. 30 to 40 mph for about 20 min (when everything reaches temperature noise falls to background levels and is inaudible)
Mostly when coasting but staring to make noise consistently when holding speed with light pedal pressure at 35 mph.
Sound seems to emminate below drivers seat. Seat at different positions, grabbed all items below seat with no change, I believe it is below the carpet or beneath the under carriage.
Still troubleshooting issue. I will follow up with more detail as I narrow down root cause. For me being tempature sensitive is a clue I’m pursuing.

mpower22

Yes!
When cold. 30 to 40 mph for about 20 min (when everything reaches temperature noise falls to background levels and is inaudible)
Mostly when coasting but staring to make noise consistently when holding speed with light pedal pressure at 35 mph.
Sound seems to emminate below drivers seat. Seat at different positions, grabbed all items below seat with no change, I believe it is below the carpet or beneath the under carriage.
Still troubleshooting issue. I will follow up with more detail as I narrow down root cause. For me being tempature sensitive is a clue I’m pursuing.
Its 100% the driveshaft. Not sure if a batch was defective and imbalanced or not to spec but I had mine replaced 2K miles ago and the noise has not come back......

DWIL80

Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Well gang, bad news. The flutter noise is back after about 9 noise free months! I will say it is VERY faint, to the point where I really need to listen for it without any music/ radio noise. It only happens between 25 to 30 mph while coasting or in deceleration; and yes it’s the same noise as it’s indistinguishable. I’ll keep listening to see if the noise gets worse and if warmer temperature eliminates the noise.

biswasd

Well gang, bad news. The flutter noise is back after about 9 noise free months! I will say it is VERY faint, to the point where I really need to listen for it without any music/ radio noise. It only happens between 25 to 30 mph while coasting or in deceleration; and yes it’s the same noise as it’s indistinguishable. I’ll keep listening to see if the noise gets worse and if warmer temperature eliminates the noise.
Did they change your entire driveshaft or just from the center bearing on back?

MyGenesis5L2015

Genesis Model Type
First I want to thank all for sharing their experiences with this noise issue. It has helped me focus in an effort to resolve this issue I’m experiencing.
Just to add some more information and plans in an effort to resolve this issue.
The noise was exhibited also under the following conditions:
AC off
Stereo off
Seat warmers and fans off
All windows up, sun roof shut
At approximately 35 mph with transmission in drive
At approximately 35 mph with transmission in neutral and engine idling
At approximately 35 mph with transmission in neutral and varying engine rpms
Ambient temperature does not seem to matter

I see how the driveshaft fits this scenario but I’m trying to resolve how after driving like 15-20 min (everything gets to temperature) the noise diminishes and is lost in background noise. Bearings (or Ujoints?) getting up to temp? Driveshaft as metal and getting to temperature or going in/out of balance would have minimal change. Also the noise appears to be directly beneath the drivers seat/floorboard (not passengers seat) and not on the centerline (driveshaft location). Please comment/correct me on these thoughts.

Plan forward, meet again with service manager at dealership.
Discuss things I’ve learned here and then ask to place at least 3 acoustical sensors on the undercarriage in a line from driver seat to front passenger seat). One left and one right of the drive shaft, and one below drivers side door post.

Then drive the car while exhibiting the noise issue and observe acoustical sound levels from sensors. The two equally placed left and right of drive shaft should have equal sound levels and the door post should be lower, if it is the driveshaft.

If the door post and one left of driveshaft are exhibiting the issue at a higher acoustical level than the one right of drive shaft, then that would lead me to look at things at undercarriage below driver seat.

Please understand I’m not questioning what others have discovered. However, before I ask the dealer to start taking the car apart, replace the driveshaft, and possibly disturb and temporarily mask the root cause ... I’m trying to isolate/prove the issue.

This has been ongoing issue, but now making progress thanks to all the postings.

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mine has a goodly tapping as everyone has described. I've decided to call it a feature and not worry about it. Anyone had any problems beyond the noise? Nothing broken or functionally impaired?

biswasd

interesting that replacing the entire driveshaft assembly doesn't solve the problem. I originally thought they replaced my entire assembly, but looking at my invoice and comparing to hyundai oem parts diagram, I can see that they only replaced the rear shart assembly and propeller -- which is why i was asking if the entire assembly was swapped out on your car.

if my noise comes back, it's going back to the dealer --- can't stand the noise and shouldn' have to on a 50k+ car.....

MyGenesis5L2015

Genesis Model Type
interesting that replacing the entire driveshaft assembly doesn't solve the problem. I originally thought they replaced my entire assembly, but looking at my invoice and comparing to hyundai oem parts diagram, I can see that they only replaced the rear shart assembly and propeller -- which is why i was asking if the entire assembly was swapped out on your car.

if my noise comes back, it's going back to the dealer --- can't stand the noise and shouldn' have to on a 50k+ car.....
Thank you for updating and now there are two repairs to compare:
1 entire drive shaft assembly
2 rear shaft assembly and propeller

Both repairs caused the noise to go away, so the work for both definitely has an impact on the issue. Please keep us updated.

I am the original owner and have about 50k miles on my 2015. Noise issue started for me around 40k miles. (I do tend to have a heavy foot so I’m surprised it took to 40k based on other posts mileage). The noise was not present from the beginning something has changed. Noise is the result of vibrations and my noise issue is slowly getting worse.

I may have missed it before, but did your noise issue fade to background noise levels after approximately 20 min of drive time?

biswasd

Yes. That's correct. After 15 to 20 minutes it goes away....I suspect the driveshaft bearings are to blame here since it goes away once heated up from driving or by ambient outside temperatures.

biswasd

By replacing the driveshadts we are getting new bearings as a result. I bet this is a manufacturing defect and quality control issue

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.