flutter @ 25-30mph

zape

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I think I also hear it now.
What's the cheapest way to fix out of warranty?

MyGenesis5L2015

Genesis Model Type
I finally was able to take the car in for diagnostic and trying to put acoustical sensors to isolate the noise.

The service manager called me and provided the following information:
He reached out to a Hyundai expert in diagnosing and solving problems like this. The noise as I previously described the expert indicated he knew exactly what it is..... wait for it ... drive shaft.
Thank you all for providing me information to get a much quicker resolution to this issue.

The expert asked the service manager to do the following as confirmation that the issue is the drive shaft. Empty out center console of all items and leave open when driving the car. The noise will be “amplified” (open baffle), coming out of the center console, and heard under driving conditions not previously heard. The service manager confirmed this was the case and has now ordered the driveshaft assembly to replace. That will be in about 2 weeks.

I’m now headed to pick up the car and will provide updates if the information above needs editing and after the drive shaft assembly replacement.

biswasd

Hasn't posted much yet...
great news, I have same noise and dealer never addresses, 'couldn't replicate'. I have 37k on my 2016 now. Expect a fierce fight on this one!!

keep in mind the part # changes for HTRAC vs FWD versions of the car...and the part # provided above is only for the rear part of the shaft assbly including the propeller....would also need the part # for the front.

MyGenesis5L2015

Genesis Model Type
Please see if the test conditions match (cold and then noise happens on coasting from 35 - 25 mph for about 20 min, then goes away).
I took car in the evening before, they test drove it cold the next morning, and duplicated the fluttering sound.

As for the warranty post previously, I would still take it in and ask the question while letting them know this is not a one off issue. Other owners are having the same problem.

FYI, I did ask if there was any redesign of the shaft assembly that was ordered and I was told they don’t have insight into that from Hyundai. Then I indicated if there was no redesign to fix the root cause and the same parts are being installed again, my expectation is the issue will reoccur it is just a matter of time. At which time I will visit them again asking is it a defective design, defective part, or improper installation.

biswasd

couldn't agree with all that you stated. this sound will come back - only a matter of time, b/c the part is defetively manufactured or designed. this is a product liability issue for Hyundai - they just don't want to admit fault. Classic product liability issue from law school....next time i'm going wait a year or two before buying a 1st model year refresh vehicle.....

Origin_G80

CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
couldn't agree with all that you stated. this sound will come back - only a matter of time, b/c the part is defetively manufactured or designed. this is a product liability issue for Hyundai - they just don't want to admit fault. Classic product liability issue from law school....next time i'm going wait a year or two before buying a 1st model year refresh vehicle.....
Doesn't matter first year or not. Mine is 2017 g80 and makes that noise. I have over 150k miles on the car so far with no issues. So it's just noise. Learn to live with it or just play music louder.

zape

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Doesn't matter first year or not. Mine is 2017 g80 and makes that noise. I have over 150k miles on the car so far with no issues. So it's just noise. Learn to live with it or just play music louder.
Wow that's a lot
Did you clean the intake valves btw?

biswasd

Unfortunately my ears can't learn to live with it....

Suprised to see that the issue is present inn2017 models as well. More evidence to suggest a design defect after all....

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.