Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Yea I looked at the photo. Is that hole we are looking into to see the filter material the INPUT hole or the OUTPUT hole? If it's the OUTPUT hole, I would guess that they would not look much different.....like looking at the CLEAN side of an air filter.... :cool:

I don't know why they call for a fuel tank air filter change at 30K? Photo 8 shows the old and new filters side-by-side. I'll let you guess which one is which. The old filter looked brand spanking new to me. Overall it took about an hour to do the job. Now that I know what I'm doing, I could probably do it in 25-30 minutes.

Hope this helps folks :)

tshile

Hasn't posted much yet...
mcginnpm - I changed my fuel tank air filter today and your instructions were spot on. helped me breeze through it without any issues. only real issue is working in it by crawling into the trunk :)

thanks very much!!

nextcar

Been here awhile...
i'm at 30k miles now, so i called by local dealer about replacing the fuel tank air filter, and he told me that it's probably not necessary now, echoing what many of you have experienced.

when i asked for a price quote, he said that it's $275.
$200 for the filter and $75 for 1 hour of labor.

i guess i will skip this filter change.

for the other items:
engine air cleaner filter $22.
cabin air filter $70 - so i changed this myself via filterheads.com. took me 30 min.

still loving my V8 genesis, and no problems whatsoever.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
$200 for a filter? Holy sh*t!

Why are the dealers saying its not necessary, but the manual (Hyundai engineer) is?
Probably because most techs who work at Hyundai dealers have little or no experience doing it, and if something goes wrong when they put it back to together the car could catch on fire and explode, and they don't want to worry about anything like that.

DRS

Banned
Any info on the fuel filter replacement? I notice the great info on the tank air filter. And looks decently easy to self change. Any good data on the fuel filter and how to change it?

On my company and other vehicles, mainly Fords, you can go back and listen to the fuel pump running with a clean fuel filter. When the filter begins to get dirty, the pump will change pitch a bit. Time for a change. If you got some really bad gas, the pump will sound louder and tone a bit strained sounding. The filter is in need of changing right away at that point. Once the filter is changed, the sound goes back to the base level. Many times they will go up to 60k before change. Other times (mostly non Shell gas), the pitch changes between 15-30k miles.

Right now, with my 2012 5.0 Genny engine idling I cannot hear the pump back there at all.

Registered Member
I normally drive my vehicles to 200,000 miles. One of them is now almost 20 years old with 233,000 miles. I have never needed to change a fuel filter. The only one I ever changed was on my motor home------it sucks a lot of gas and I bought it used. I didn't know where the original owner bought his fuel and, when one is traveling, you don't always know the reputation of the gas station.

I buy my gas from reputable, top tier, suppliers and won't be changing until I have a problem.

Vince2

Registered Member
I am approaching the 30k milage mark on my 2012 3.8 Tech. I noticed the recommened replacement of the "fuel air filter" at the 30k mark and I asked my Hyundai service center about it. I was told that they DO NOT PROVIDE this service. The service writter said that what they are allowed to charge for the service leaves little incentive for them to do it. (!) So I wrote corporate Hyundai and relayed my Hyundai service providers comments and some of the comments on this thread. I asked if the filters should be changed at the recommended intervals and, if not changed, will that affect any warranties. Here is Hyundai's written reply:

..."As for your question about the importance of changing these filters, yes it is important to have them changed. This may make the difference between your vehicle performing as designed or not performing at all. It may also affect other systems in the vehicle. If the filters are not changed and a part of the system is damaged it may be seen as a lack of maintenance and therefore any needed repair may not be covered by the vehicles warranty. Any repair that may be covered by the vehicles warranty must to be inspected by an authorized Hyundai dealership so that it can be determined if the repair falls under the requirements to be covered by warranty." that's a direct copy from Hyundai's written response.

Someone earlier mentioned a "disconnect between Hyundai and Hyundai service centers" and I would agree that there certainly is and not only with this issue. I just got a call from my Hyundai service department head. He can't imagine why I was told that they don't do the service and that I should call to discuss cost and scheduling...I think I'll just do it myself. My confidence with Hyundai service is weakening.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Someone earlier mentioned a "disconnect between Hyundai and Hyundai service centers" and I would agree that there certainly is and not only with this issue. I just got a call from my Hyundai service department head. He can't imagine why I was told that they don't do the service and that I should call to discuss cost and scheduling...I think I'll just do it myself. My confidence with Hyundai service is weakening.
What is a "Hyundai service center"? Are you talking about Hyundai dealers? They are independent businesses and not owned by Hyundai. As an authorized dealer and authorized service center, independent dealers are supposed to follow certain guidelines established by Hyundai, but they have some latitude also.

But I would tend to agree with the dealer. I personally wouldn't worry about changing those particular items.

Vince2

Registered Member
I agree with you homeofstone. I too will change the filters at the recommended intervals.

JimInNashville

Registered Member
The "disconnect" between Hyundai service departments and Hyundai Corporation seems universal, or at least very widespread.

I went to two dealers regarding these filters, and BOTH said they never replace them routinely!! One said he doesn't even carry the part, the other said they only consider inspecting/replacing if a diagnostic code comes up. Yet Hyundai corporate will kill your warranty if you don't replace and they can blame a subsequent problem on this issue. Could this be intentional?

Between this issue and the inability of Hyundai to resolve the issue of the strange sound made by my 3.8, and their inability to clearly explain the discrepancies between the dipstick oil level and the stated capacity, it is becoming clear that at some level, there is a serious problem in Hyundai's corporate structure.

They build solid, reliable vehicles with a high ratio of features to price. My 2010 Genesis is 44 months in service with 20,500 and aside from a blown diode that took out the brake lights, has functioned perfectly. I've learned to live with the strange noise emanating from the 3.8 at around 2,000 RPM prior to shifts (documented elsewhere in this forum).

But Hyundai needs to take the next step and NOT go down the same road as these major corporations where you cannot find a human being anywhere who can actually provide the most basic, elementary information.

A motor vehicle is a major investment, and a mechanical issue can cost you your life. ANY strange noise or mechanical discrepancy should be investigated.
ALL key technical aspects of the vehicle should be documented and available to dealers and owners. This is NOT too much to ask.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
The "disconnect" between Hyundai service departments and Hyundai Corporation seems universal, or at least very widespread.

I went to two dealers regarding these filters, and BOTH said they never replace them routinely!! One said he doesn't even carry the part, the other said they only consider inspecting/replacing if a diagnostic code comes up. Yet Hyundai corporate will kill your warranty if you don't replace and they can blame a subsequent problem on this issue. Could this be intentional?

Between this issue and the inability of Hyundai to resolve the issue of the strange sound made by my 3.8, and their inability to clearly explain the discrepancies between the dipstick oil level and the stated capacity, it is becoming clear that at some level, there is a serious problem in Hyundai's corporate structure.

They build solid, reliable vehicles with a high ratio of features to price. My 2010 Genesis is 44 months in service with 20,500 and aside from a blown diode that took out the brake lights, has functioned perfectly. I've learned to live with the strange noise emanating from the 3.8 at around 2,000 RPM prior to shifts (documented elsewhere in this forum).

But Hyundai needs to take the next step and NOT go down the same road as these major corporations where you cannot find a human being anywhere who can actually provide the most basic, elementary information.

A motor vehicle is a major investment, and a mechanical issue can cost you your life. ANY strange noise or mechanical discrepancy should be investigated.
ALL key technical aspects of the vehicle should be documented and available to dealers and owners. This is NOT too much to ask.
Did you show the service manager the required maintenance items in the owner's manual? Did you tell the Ser5vice Manager to call the Hyundai dealer rep? Did you put it in writing what you requested in service and get his reply in writing? For the past 30 years when I take a car in for service I have gone in with a written list of what I want done. I never take their BS. Maybe I am demanding but some service department people are just lazy and/or uninformed.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Hyundai cannot deny a warranty claim unless they can prove that the lack of maintenance caused the particular problem in the claim. Since a problem with the filter (dirty, clogged, etc) can be easily fixed by replacing it, it is not gong to affect the warranty on your engine.

Not sure what the strange sound is about. If it is coming from your rear drivetrain at about 40-50 mpg, then there is a TSB to add a spacer that might fix it.

I agree that the dipstick issue on the V6 is very strange, and that HMA has mde no effort to resolve it. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be surprised to see them duck issues that may involve them spending a lot of money to fix a lot of cars that have a problem, but this is a simple informational question, and I also don't understand why they don't address it (the correct dipstick oil level on the 2009-2011 V6 and that if shows at least .5 quart over full when changing oil with recommended amount, and also showed above full level with factory oil fill).

Vince2

Registered Member
I get a little manic about maintenance and I absolutely love when objects perform as designed ( see "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"). So I read through a lot of googled sites about fuel air filters and found some interesting stuff: this fuel air filter is NOT a critical item, besides Kia, Hyundai is the only other car company using this item, mechanics rarely change out this item...

working more in bit

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.