Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Vince2

Registered Member
Anyway, the Sonata, Tiburan, et al forums have gone around and around about this issue and with pretty much the same results: Service writter looking glassy eyed "you want what changed out?", "we don't do that 'cause it's not that important" reponses.

I ran into a post in a Elentra forum and a very bright guy explained the intended design and function of the fuel air filter (along with diagrams and simple explinations). If I can remember the url I'll post it here. The gist of the post: the fuel air filter provides an occasional burst of fresh air for the charcol canister so that the canister might better perform its job of cleasning gasoline fumes...again I'll point to the post if I find it again.

SO since I already bought the filter I will go ahead and install it. It will probably (probably) be the last one I change out.

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Anyway, the Sonata, Tiburan, et al forums have gone around and around about this issue and with pretty much the same results: Service writter looking glassy eyed "you want what changed out?", "we don't do that 'cause it's not that important" reponses.

I ran into a post in a Elentra forum and a very bright guy explained the intended design and function of the fuel air filter (along with diagrams and simple explinations). If I can remember the url I'll post it here. The gist of the post: the fuel air filter provides an occasional burst of fresh air for the charcol canister so that the canister might better perform its job of cleasning gasoline fumes...again I'll point to the post if I find it again.

SO since I already bought the filter I will go ahead and install it. It will probably (probably) be the last one I change out.
The problem I have with taking my car to a dealer to change the fuel filter or the fuel air filter is that chances are higher of something going wrong than any benefit that my engine is likely to get out of it. I just don't have a lot of confidence in Hyundai dealer maintenance personnel, and messing around with anything near a gas tank is just dangerous, especially if they don't have a lot of practice doing it. So if a dealer says they don't normally do it, that is even more reason to not have it done.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Thanks for the instructions and pics mcginnpm! Your post on page 1 is fantastic and looks to be pretty simple. Knowing this, I'm going to pick up one and replace soon.

Thanks!

NOTE - I have requested to the MODS that this thread be made a sticky and/or moved to the DIY section.

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thanks for the instructions and pics mcginnpm! Your post on page 1 is fantastic and looks to be pretty simple. Knowing this, I'm going to pick up one and replace soon.

Thanks!

NOTE - I have requested to the MODS that this thread be made a sticky and/or moved to the DIY section.
How about I copy THIS POST as a new topic and move it into the DIY forum? Will that work? Or is there more to go with it? Let me know...

Thank you...

Vince2

Registered Member
PITA! INDEED...A few observations after completing the fuel air filter change on my Genesis:

Thanks for the pictures mcginnpm

It took 1 and a 1/2 hours to complete...next time maybe 40 minutes.

If you intend to replace the filter, do yourself a favor and buy a spring clamp removal tool.

Those spring hose clamps nuzzled into tight spots can be a REAL challenge. I bought

a spring clamp removal tool ($30) that has the "business end" attached to a two foot

wire that you can snake it into small openings to remove clamps.

Unlike mcginnpm my used fuel air filter element was very dirty and close to

the color of the case itself. There was little doubt about which filter was new.

There are two gaskets/felts that need to be retained. Their function is to silence noise

from potential movement of the filter (bumpy road). They are located on the bottom of the old filter and around

the positioning notch on the end of the filter away from the screw fastener (again see

mcginnpm's excellent pics) specifically the pic comparing the old filter to the new. You can see the small felt (1/8" pad)

on the bottom and there is another (not easily seen in the pic). Pull those free and place on the new filter.

RanDob

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thanks, mcginnpm & Vince2! I was able to complete this in about 3 hours, spending $33 on filter including shipping & 7% sales tax from OEHyundaiparts.com. I think next time I will have the dealer do this for $44 part & $60 labor. And it really was necessary as the filter was pretty dirty.

Philth

Been here awhile...
Just thought I would add my two cents to the in-tank fuel filter saga.

The dealer I just asked in St Louis about it told me that it's not needed either, even though the manual states 37,500 intervals. He actually told me that a $175 induction service is all I need and would replace the need to swap out the fuel filter.

Using that logic, I asked him how this "induction service" would clean a filter in the tank. He responded with "an additive that they add to the gas tank".

I about rolled over laughing. Bottom line, NOTHING will clean a filter. If somebody doesn't change their fuel filter and a fuel injector or fuel pump (in-tank electric, or mechanical high pressure) fails while under warranty, good luck getting it replaced at no charge.

I'll bet my money that Hyundai corporate will deny that warranty claim.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I had a similar experience about two years ago. I was told the service on the filters was not needed. I point blank told them to do the service or have the general manager put in writing to me that the filters did not need to changed. I said I would wait for the letter. Needless to say the service was done. Some service managers are so full of BS.

Philth

Been here awhile...
I had a similar experience about two years ago. I was told the service on the filters was not needed. I point blank told them to do the service or have the general manager put in writing to me that the filters did not need to changed. I said I would wait for the letter. Needless to say the service was done. Some service managers are so full of BS.
If you don't mind us knowing, what was the cost of the filter replacement?

Vince2

Registered Member
I'm getting close to 37.5k miles and I'll change it (the fuel filter) out myself. My experience with the fuel air filter and local Hyundai dealers service: none of the three local shops had ever replaced one. One dealer told me that they weren't allowed to charge enough to make changing the fuel air filter worth their time! Another local dealer attempted to explain the function of the fuel air cleaner (he was completely wrong) and why, therefore, there was no need to change the item. The written response from Hyundai corporate was that it is important AND by not following the Hyundai recommended service I might void the warranty. :)
A little off topic but interesting:
...I'm waiting for head unit #4 (I reported the "no audio" issue by driving to the dealer while the unit was mal functioning so that they might experience it themselves) it has been three weeks since I reported the problem and no solve yet. I hear from Hyundai corporate and the local dealer only when I call....when Consumer Reports asks, as they do, yearly, for a report about the car you can just guess my response on their survey. I think I've owned the car too long to meet lemon law criteria

bobpark56

Hasn't posted much yet...
Had 3 filters replaced today (30,000 miles):

Engine air filter: Parts $16.95, labor $10.50

Micro-cabin fresh air filter: Parts $22.95, labor $42

Fuel tank fresh air filter: Parts $24.23, labor $157.50

As partial compensation, I received $50 in coupons to use on my next service.

(The cost of the fuel tank fresh air filter was a big surprise. Never had anything like that on other cars I have owned.)

knowledge

Registered Member
I have a 2011 with 75k miles on it. My dealer told me the fuel filter is not serviceable and not to worry about the fuel tank air filter. Im going to change the air filter anyway. Thanks guys.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I have a 2011 with 75k miles on it. My dealer told me the fuel filter is not serviceable and not to worry about the fuel tank air filter. Im going to change the air filter anyway. Thanks guys.
Regarding the fuel filter and fuel tank air filter, your dealer is absolutely wrong. Read the manual regarding services. I have 162,000 miles on my 2011 Genesis and no problems. Not replacing the fuel filters can cause fuel pump problems. Your dealer obviously lacks trained techs and lacks knowledge of proper maintenance on luxury cars.