Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
NC
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The written response from Hyundai corporate was that it is important AND by not following the Hyundai recommended service I might void the warranty. :)
Do you have a copy of this letter and how did inquire with corporate about the filter service?

Regarding the fuel filter and fuel tank air filter, your dealer is absolutely wrong. Read the manual regarding services. I have 162,000 miles on my 2011 Genesis and no problems. Not replacing the fuel filters can cause fuel pump problems. Your dealer obviously lacks trained techs and lacks knowledge of proper maintenance on luxury cars.
I just scheduled my 60,000 mile service and was also told that the fuel filter and fuel tank air filter is not required. Not only that but not replacing them will not effect my extended warranty if something were to happen down the road. Feel like this is something that I need in writing.

This is a big deal to me because of my air ride system, if they had to be replaced I would need to temporarily remove the tank and compressors to provide access. Came up with a makeshift manifold that would work for a day but needless to say it was a relief when they said not required. I pointed out to them that the manual states to change these at 60k miles. Dealer told me they don't replace them unless they are fixing a problem that already requires them to go into the tank.

Side note shouldn't they be able to provide me with a list of all the service that has been performed on my car even if done at other dealers?

SixFootSix

Registered Member
California
I finally got around to changing the fuel tank air filter. My 2012 5.0 has 51k miles and the fuel tank air filter element looked grey instead of the clean white. The installation is a PITA, especially for a 6'6" 250 guy like me. I did find that if I removed the spare, I fit more comfortably in the trunk.

Do NOT buy the part at your local Hyundai dealer. They wanted $41 plus tax, and online was only $26 plus $5 shipping.

My charcole canister (next to the fuel tank filter) has a label on it that says Oct-2014 (roughly 26k). I'm guessing that it will be good for at least until 60k miles.

This was the first time that I have worked under the back of the Genni, and I must say that other than a flimsy stabilizer bar for a 5.0, the rear axle housing is mounted solidly in the sub-frame, and the half shafts are beefy steel.

I truly love this car, and it's little quirks, clicks, and character.

Last edited:

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Do you have a copy of this letter and how did inquire with corporate about the filter service?

I just scheduled my 60,000 mile service and was also told that the fuel filter and fuel tank air filter is not required. Not only that but not replacing them will not effect my extended warranty if something were to happen down the road. Feel like this is something that I need in writing.

This is a big deal to me because of my air ride system, if they had to be replaced I would need to temporarily remove the tank and compressors to provide access. Came up with a makeshift manifold that would work for a day but needless to say it was a relief when they said not required. I pointed out to them that the manual states to change these at 60k miles. Dealer told me they don't replace them unless they are fixing a problem that already requires them to go into the tank.

Side note shouldn't they be able to provide me with a list of all the service that has been performed on my car even if done at other dealers?
Your dealer is full of BS. Its in the manual to change the filters and I have had the service done several times per the manual. My Genesis has over 184,000 miles on it and I want to keep her running like new as long as possible. A clogged fuel filter will make the fuel pump work harder.

Raynman10

Getting familiar with the group...
Cali
My dealership states that Hyundai manual is misguided, the replacement called for is the CCV or Canister Close Valve. It is one of the main reasons gas flows slowly at the pump. I am clanging mine soon.
Part is about $70.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
NC
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Your dealer is full of BS. Its in the manual to change the filters and I have had the service done several times per the manual. My Genesis has over 184,000 miles on it and I want to keep her running like new as long as possible. A clogged fuel filter will make the fuel pump work harder.
I called about 5 dealers to ask about this and they all told me it wasn't required to be changed. Opted not to get it changed because of my air ride system having to be removed in order to do so. However I hope it doesn't cause an issue from not being changed.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
One of the two dealers I go to recently had the car in for a 24 month service yesterday.

My 2010 Genesis 3.8 has only 11,300 miles on it. I asked him about the fuel tank air filter and he said that in general they do not replace them, and ditto the fuel filter.

I am growing increasingly concerned about the disconnect between Hyundai dealers and Hyundai's own service manual. My service writer said that you could drive the car 50,000 miles and that air filter would still be clean. He quoted me a price of over $200 to replace it.

One has to be careful. Will Hyundai void your warranty if you have a major engine failure, EVEN IF this item had nothing to do with it?

It might be (I am not saying it necessarily is) that this flat rate item has a low profit or even a loss to dealers, and so they are more interested in pursuing high volume high profit oil changes than they are fuel filter replacements.

An alternative interpretation is that the service writer knows these items are hugely over-engineered yet difficult to replace, and is trying to save the customer money.

Which brings me, once again, to a fundamental question. WHY, given the fact that this is a premier forum in North America for Hyundai Genesis owners, isn't Hyundai actively monitoring this forum and providing some guidance to us??
You re assuming that the tech's and service writers are well trained. I found that most dealer techs don't know how to replace the fuel filter or the fuel tank air filter on the Genesis. They also did not know that the ZF transmission in my 2011 Genesis has a trans. fluid filter made into the pan of the transmission. One tech even told me that my car has no transmission fluid filter and his service manager backed him up on it. I never went back to that dealer.

YoungGun

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have 60K miles on my 2012 Genesis and my dealership said they don't replace the fuel tank air filter (canister vapor filter) becuase they end up breaking the canister itself (sounds like BS to me). Since it was suppose to be replaced twice by now I went ahead and ordered one and hope to put it on my self in the next couple weeks.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I have 60K miles on my 2012 Genesis and my dealership said they don't replace the fuel tank air filter (canister vapor filter) becuase they end up breaking the canister itself (sounds like BS to me). Since it was suppose to be replaced twice by now I went ahead and ordered one and hope to put it on my self in the next couple weeks.
The fuel tank air filter is not under the hood. The dealer service techs are nuts. The fuel tank air filter as I recall is accessed from the trunk.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.