G70 Lease Comparisons and Discussion (USA)

nellie1289

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The deal could probably be undone but @nellie1289 got a good deal so for $300 it probably is just worth signing a new lease especially since if it would have been there it likely would have not been a dealbreaker. I would ask the dealer for a check for $300, maybe they will do it since it was their fault the purchasing option fee wasn't listed.
I had this exact thing happen to me on my 2016 genesis. They put 0 in the turn in fee that time. I wouldn’t sign another. After two weeks owner of dealership called me and said he would send a check for $400 to sign a new one so Hyundai would process the paperwork. Fact is I have their car and a signed lease. Not my issue. I am sensitive to the dealers pickle they are in and they gave me a good deal and good service. I told them to ask genesis to accept the contract as I signed what was put in front of me.

Side note : it is outrageous they want to charge you $300 these days to purchase a car out of a lease. This is ridiculous nickel and diming.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes you can. I have done just that. Do not surrender the plate to the dealer. AAA or DMV can get it done for you.
Do you have to wait for regular plates to come in before you ask to put on the personalized ones or can I go to AAA/DMV the day I get the car?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sorry but I can’t remember. I know they tell you to come in when you get the new plates. If you put on your personalized plates before they make the change in the dmv system you could get pulled over for having plates that don’t match the make of your car.
I know in NY it's as simple as transferring your existing registration over and the plates along with it when you trade it in.

I noticed that my front plate on my old car became my back plate... either that or I backed into some bugs really fast.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I know in NY it's as simple as transferring your existing registration over and the plates along with it when you trade it in.

I noticed that my front plate on my old car became my back plate... either that or I backed into some bugs really fast.
Ahhh, that sounds so easy. California always has to be complicated. It probably was the front plate haha!

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So they make you register you car all over again, get new plates, then swap the new plates for the old plates??
Yep, read up on it online and that is the process. You can not have personalized plates on a car that has not been previously registered. In the meantime, you are supposed to file that your personalized plate is not on a car. Makes no sense why they would make it so complicated and longwinded.

I could be totally wrong though. I hate the way they write things.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep, read up on it online and that is the process. You can not have personalized plates on a car that has not been previously registered. In the meantime, you are supposed to file that your personalized plate is not on a car. Makes no sense why they would make it so complicated and longwinded.

I could be totally wrong though. I hate the way they write things.
If that's true, that is absolutely pointless and ridiculous.

BobLoblaw

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
New to the forum, but have found the resources here incredibly helpful as I start the search for a G70!

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on these numbers. I emailed the local dealer for a quote on a 2.0 RWD Auto Sport 36/10k. They came back with:
MSRP: $46,290
Selling Price: $44,090 (4.8% off)
Rebates: $5,000 (assuming this is $4k in lease cash +1k in something else)
Residual: 50%, MF: .0004
Due at Inception: $2,999

Monthly Payment (pre tax): $431

This is with zero negotiation. How much more room is there to go? I know the MF is high (should be .0001), and I want to get them to come down on the selling price a little more. Question is, how much will they go without Circle A pricing? Or should I not even bother negotiating before getting a certificate?

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
New to the forum, but have found the resources here incredibly helpful as I start the search for a G70!

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on these numbers. I emailed the local dealer for a quote on a 2.0 RWD Auto Sport 36/10k. They came back with:
MSRP: $46,290
Selling Price: $44,090 (4.8% off)
Rebates: $5,000 (assuming this is $4k in lease cash +1k in something else)
Residual: 50%, MF: .0004
Due at Inception: $2,999

Monthly Payment (pre tax): $431

This is with zero negotiation. How much more room is there to go? I know the MF is high (should be .0001), and I want to get them to come down on the selling price a little more. Question is, how much will they go without Circle A pricing? Or should I not even bother negotiating before getting a certificate?
Tell them you want 10-12% off before incentives. Circle pricing is about 8.1% before incentives so if you can meet or beat that I'd say you were doing pretty well. Also, they're marking up the MF on you so don't be afraid to mention that, since the mark up is just dealer profit

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

BobLoblaw

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks for the responses.

Another question: How do people deal with the accessories they force on you? Compared to the MSRP on the site, their MSRP was $400 higher. I emailed them about it, and was told that it's due to accessories no dealer stocks cars without accessories. Seems like a pretty crappy response, and I don't want $400 of trunk liners and first aid kits.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Genesis/Hyundai is subsidizing leases and not purchases, not including the low finance rate of 1.9%. Why are leases preferred in the subsidy range?

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They must have determined they could make more money providing leasing incentives rather than financing. Lease cash, money factors and even residual amounts are to a large extent based on marketing. My guess is that since the G70 is new and Genesis is fairly young as a company, people are more likely to lease rather than purchase at this stage so they wanted to make that avenue as attractive as possible. I guess they could do what BMW is doing and offer an APR credit if you purchase and finance with them but Genesis must have decided that wasn't the best course of action at this point.
I would guess because a huge percentage of the compact sports sedan class is leased, and they need to compete on that level. Think about the massive number of 3-series, C-classes, etc. that are leased, and Genesis is going after those buyers in a big way. Residuals are so-so, which is why they're competing on decent incentives and MF.

Compare to BMW, which typically has good incentives, lousy MF, and an absolutely crazily-inflated RV of like 60%. None of those BMW's are actually worth 60% of their MSRP when the lease is up.

twobits21

Registered Member
Closed on a 36/10 lease deal last week. Here are my numbers in case it helps anyone out. I was in South Florida.
G70 2.0L RWD, Elite, Prestige, Dynamic packages.
MSRP: $45,240
Rebates/Incentives: ~$6k
Upfront: $815 including first payment. New tag.
Monthly: $455 including tax.
They added tinted windows.
Tax 7%.

I got the exact car I was looking for, and got it on the date I needed it by, Called about 5-6 dealers, two of which gave me the exact same "best offer" on the same MSRP vehicle, and so I picked the dealer that I was having a better experience with up to that point. This was the best I can do with my circumstances. I tried to get enough posts on this website to message r_spec for Circle-A pricing but couldn't get PM privileges in time, so maybe that could've helped out had I known about it sooner. I did have to haggle a bit.

Thank you to all those that helped me out on this website. It was greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps you current shoppers out there get a better deal than mine. PM if you want any more specifics.

Last edited: