G70 US Availability?

KBH

Registered Member
The GM told me he put in the order for their next allocation - however he won't know if they'll get it until sometime tomorrow afternoon. He told me that their Genesis rep seemed to think it shouldn't be a problem, though. According to him, there are approx 1,500 G70's at the Port in Seattle.

Either way, he said they are expecting to get it by the 18th of this month!!
Port of Seattle? Even more irony.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The GM told me he put in the order for their next allocation - however he won't know if they'll get it until sometime tomorrow afternoon. He told me that their Genesis rep seemed to think it shouldn't be a problem, though. According to him, there are approx 1,500 G70's at the Port in Seattle.

That is awesome news!! I need to hit my local guy up for more info.
Honestly, though, that is awesome. Excited!

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Any idea how many in Port Hueneme, besides those already rolled out to Arizona and Nevada? Thanks! 😀

wabbajack

I went to test drive an Alfa Romeo Stelvio last night. By coincidence, they walked me into the Hyundai dealership next door to talk to a manager, and there it was.
Bright blue gleaming from across the showroom. The G70 was just calling my name. I got in did a test drive. It was only a 2.0T, but the interior fit me like a glove. They just got a couple of 2.0T units for now, and they are too pricey ($43k asking for a Korean turbo four that comes from a Sonata? WTF?). But man did I forget the Alfa.

Edit: location - Indianapolis

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I went to test drive an Alfa Romeo Stelvio last night. By coincidence, they walked me into the Hyundai dealership next door to talk to a manager, and there it was.
Bright blue gleaming from across the showroom. The G70 was just calling my name. I got in did a test drive. It was only a 2.0T, but the interior fit me like a glove. They just got a couple of 2.0T units for now, and they are too pricey ($43k asking for a Korean turbo four that comes from a Sonata? WTF?). But man did I forget the Alfa.

I'm glad you liked it and got a chance to drive it--but I really don't think it "comes from a Sonata." I have driven a Sonata & the G70, and to my way of thinking, not really much comparison (well, both are sedans). :)

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Cool. So are you going to hold out to drive the 3.3T?

wabbajack

Cool. So are you going to hold out to drive the 3.3T?
I'm going to hold out for the G70 prices to be more realistic.

It doesn't make sense to buy a $50k G70 when the equivalent Stinger GT2 is $10k cheaper.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm going to hold out for the G70 prices to be more realistic.

It doesn't make sense to buy a $50k G70 when the equivalent Stinger GT2 is $10k cheaper.
Highly unlikely you will see the discounts on the G70 like you do on the Stinger. It would not be good for the brand plus no need to at this point, the car is getting all types of accolades and sales seem to be picking up very nicely.

I'm not up on all of details like others on here are but I don't think you can say the Stinger is equivalent to the G70.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I did a lot of research following my test drive. The engine does in fact come from a Sonata.
Semantics. I'd say it is "used" in the Sonata, but it is also used in the Genesis coupe. It was developed to be used in many cars and to meet emissions requirements. It is a good engine and I don't think is is detrimental that it happened to be used in the Sonata.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Highly unlikely you will see the discounts on the G70 like you do on the Stinger. It would not be good for the brand plus no need to at this point, the car is getting all types of accolades and sales seem to be picking up very nicely.

I'm not up on all of details like others on here are but I don't think you can say the Stinger is equivalent to the G70.
No you cannot. G70 is a different level. Hence it being more expensive...AND...you get the 3 years service and all the extra goodies.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I did a lot of research following my test drive. The engine does in fact come from a Sonata.
[/URL]
I test drove the Sonata and G70 and have to say the 2.0T in the G70 feels night and day compared to the Sonata. I was really surprised how much of a difference there actually was. Not sure if it was just Sonata being weird or not.

Side note, in Canada, they were asking more for a 2.0 Sport Sonata than an Elite G70, it was a no brainier.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

wabbajack

This is the last thing I'll say about the Stinger vs G70 discussion.

They are very similar cars, as defined by their spec sheets, and as evaluated by car journalists. Vote with your wallet.
Here's why I bring up the Stinger for discussion in the first place: Pricing. Assume I am interested in the 3.3T version with the sunroof (which I am).
Genesis is asking $47k and up, depending on whether you add the quilted leather seats and sport package.

Kia did the same thing a year ago with the Stinger. The 3.3T (Stinger GT) had similar option packages and they were asking ~$45k to $50k. Today, you can find those same cars on Kia lots for deep discounts. There's a Cincinnati (<200mi from me) Kia dealer with multiple GT2 (fully loaded) Stinger models asking $41k on $52k MSRP. Take your pick of red, black, or blue - they have at least two blues.

Why is this relevant? Because these cars are not moving at MSRP. You can quibble about brand perception, value, etc. My local Genesis showrooms are basically Hyundai showrooms with dedicated floor space for Genesis. The fact is that there's a large number of unsold Stingers does not bode well for Genesis. Especially when the G70 is a mechanical cousin to the Stinger. It shows that there simply isn't the demand to support a $50k MSRP.

Thus my dilemma. I loved the G70 the moment I got in one. But how do you justify spending $50k when there's a very close alternative that is almost $10k cheaper? Who's valuing the Genesis brand cachet at that number?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.