G70 US Availability?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So my dealer is supposed to get inventory finally in by the end of March (although I’m betting it’s the end of April based upon their track record previously). At what point does it make sense just to sit and wait for the 2020s? I don’t want to pay full MSRP in April if 2020 models start arriving in say June - August.
Not sure we can really speculate with much accuracy given the dealer rollout situation and that they seem to still be operating on inventory manufactured last Spring/Summer. If that starts to get low in the next few months they may just switch model years rather than make more 2019s at this point. Then again, they may want to get on a normal schedule and not introduce the 2020s until the Sept-Nov timeframe.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So my dealer is supposed to get inventory finally in by the end of March (although I’m betting it’s the end of April based upon their track record previously). At what point does it make sense just to sit and wait for the 2020s? I don’t want to pay full MSRP in April if 2020 models start arriving in say June - August.
It is a good point. But it has been difficult to predict anything with any sort of accuracy as far as this rollout has gone. If you can wait, waiting until they introduce the 2020 and then trying to find a 2019 might be the best shot at getting a better price. It does seem like a lot of cars are moving around the country during March--not only trying to get the first cars to newly minted Genesis dealers, but also bringing additional cars to dealers that have now been in business a comparatively greater time (all of like four to eight weeks in some cases). :)

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
It is a good point. But it has been difficult to predict anything with any sort of accuracy as far as this rollout has gone. If you can wait, waiting until they introduce the 2020 and then trying to find a 2019 might be the best shot at getting a better price. It does seem like a lot of cars are moving around the country during March--not only trying to get the first cars to newly minted Genesis dealers, but also bringing additional cars to dealers that have now been in business a comparatively greater time (all of like four to eight weeks in some cases). :)
Yeah if I'm going to pay full price for a 3.3T sport or prestige (say $50k) I don't want it to be the "new" model for 3 months and have the next one come out. I'd be fine paying $45k in that scenario but that is not currently the case.

The only rumors I've seen for 2020 changes are the power tailgate close and 3d screen. Would love to see new color/wheel/interior combos as well.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ we already know the 3D screen is NOT coming in the 2020 model.

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This is a false statement.

Largest Korean population outside of Korea is in China.
Thanks for the correction. I think what I mangled in my head was a statement I heard a year or two ago: "Los Angeles is the second biggest city in the world for several nationalities/ethnicities... " but... googling just now I cannot find that statement or anything to back it up.

And obviously there are a number of cities IN Korea bigger than LA's Korean population. However, I think it's arguable that LA is the biggest city outside the country for a number of nationalities. (IE, for Koreans outside of Korea, for Taiwanese outside of Taiwan, etc.)

I did find this Pew research on the Korean population in American cities in 2015. LA is first with 333k, New York 2nd at 211k. Top 10 metro areas by Korean American population

One way or another, So Cal is a big market for Genesis and in my opinion they've messed up big time by not getting the G70 into this market earlier and promoting it more. But what do I know. I'm just a guy who wants a good deal on a hot new car. 🤓

(As regards LA dealers, yes Glendale is in LA but so far as I know does not have cars yet. Nothing shows up on cars.com and they haven't emailed or contacted me, though I contacted them in December about the G70. If I don't hear anything I'll check with them at the end of the month.)

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As of now I can see 25 G70s for sale in CA.

GENESIS OF PALMDALE -1
GENESIS OF BAKERSFIELD - 6
GENESIS OF PALM SPRINGS - 2
GENESIS OF KEARNY MESA - 3
GENESIS OF LA QUINTA - 13

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As of now I can see 25 G70s for sale in CA.

GENESIS OF PALMDALE -1
GENESIS OF BAKERSFIELD - 6
GENESIS OF PALM SPRINGS - 2
GENESIS OF KEARNY MESA - 3
GENESIS OF LA QUINTA - 13
Yeah, if this is in reference to my comment about Southern California, California is quite a big state. The closest one of those to the LA area (metro area population:13 million) is at least an hour away without traffic (traffic is bad from 7 am until 8 pm, figure double the time when traffic is bad), and that assumes the distance is from the furthest border of the metro area. If you're talking about central LA, it's two hours at least. But... I assume this means cars will be in Glendale soon... (Glendale is a "suburb" in the center of LA... LA is all one big suburb, with the exception of a small area downtown.) Kearny Mesa is San Diego (2-4 hours from LA, depending on traffic), so that's good.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
I live next to Koreatown LA and I see a ton of Genesii there. So, overall I can imagine Genesis owners are something else, but I suspect the Korean Americans are important evangelists and Genesis is nuts not to be promoting this car more around LA.
Korean-Americans are not quite the same as Korean expats living in the US (of which Koreatown has a lot of).

Korean-American auto purchasing habits is pretty much the same as that of other Asian-Americans.

Germans and then Lexus (maybe Acura) for the luxury brands and Toyota and Honda for the mainstream brands.

As Genesis gets established, more and more Korean and Asian-Americans should be buying Genesis vehicles, but the typical Genesis owner presently is white and male.

But yeah, California (and even just the LA metro area) is a huge market for Genesis (along w/ TX and FL, the 3 biggest), so this prolonged delay in being able to sell 2019MY Genesis vehicles is costing Genesis $$.

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Korean-Americans are not quite the same as Korean expats living in the US (of which Koreatown has a lot of).

Korean-American auto purchasing habits is pretty much the same as that of other Asian-Americans.

Germans and then Lexus (maybe Acura) for the luxury brands and Toyota and Honda for the mainstream brands.

As Genesis gets established, more and more Korean and Asian-Americans should be buying Genesis vehicles, but the typical Genesis owner presently is white and male.

But yeah, California (and even just the LA metro area) is a huge market for Genesis (along w/ TX and FL, the 3 biggest), so this prolonged delay in being able to sell 2019MY Genesis vehicles is costing Genesis $$.
Yes I freely admit to playing fast and loose with some demographic descriptions. Glad there is no one around here grading me for a master's degree in auto sales analytics 🤓.

And now I'll play faster and looser... I live in an area of LA with a large population of Orthodox Jews. There are two G80s within two blocks of me. I think this is a group that will also go for the G70... if it's ever possible to buy one around here... Sigh...

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ No worries; demographics is pretty interesting stuff!

Doubt there is any correlation to Jewish-Americans being one of the groups seemingly more open to the Genesis brand (see South FL) and the fact that H/K dominate the Israeli auto market w/ a 30% share, but interesting nonetheless.

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ No worries; demographics is pretty interesting stuff!

Doubt there is any correlation to Jewish-Americans being one of the groups seemingly more open to the Genesis brand (see South FL) and the fact that H/K dominate the Israeli auto market w/ a 30% share, but interesting nonetheless.
I did some reading up on Hyundai in Israel. Thanks! Very interesting.

While I was poking around I came across this article about the Hyundai/Genesis dealer dispute which we all know is slowing down the rollout of the G70. Sorry if this has been posted before (I would imagine it has) but for those coming to this forum in the past few months because of the G70 (I'm in that category) it's a good quick summary. The Hyundai and Genesis Brands' Split Is a Little Messy

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
While I was poking around I came across this article about the Hyundai/Genesis dealer dispute which we all know is slowing down the rollout of the G70. Sorry if this has been posted before (I would imagine it has) but for those coming to this forum in the past few months because of the G70 (I'm in that category) it's a good quick summary. The Hyundai and Genesis Brands' Split Is a Little Messy
That reflects the original plan but things changed quite a bit a few months later once they realized the limited dealer network was not feasible. Here are a couple of links from last year reflecting the current plan.

Genesis to Mark New Phase With Repositioned U.S. Dealer Network

Genesis G70 finally appears, but mostly on TV

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
I think we should avoid these topics in this forum as there are plenty of other places to embrace this type of discussion. Just a suggestion.

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think we should avoid these topics in this forum as there are plenty of other places to embrace this type of discussion. Just a suggestion.
As someone who is very interested to test drive and possibly buy a G70, and yet lives in one of the biggest car markets in the US where the G70 is still not available months after it won a bunch of top annual car awards and where the new BMW 3 series is already available and will likely be very successful, I’ve found the discussion in here very helpful in understanding this confusing situation.

In fact, in my case, it’s highly likely I would have bought an Audi A4 a couple of weeks ago but for the discussion in here convincing me the G70 may finally be available in the Los Angeles area by April.

But if you want to start another discussion titled “how Genesis made a total disaster of the rollout of the G70” with the best links on that subject, there’s a good chance I’ll follow it. 😎

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looking around the new Northern California dealerships, they are now listing Genesis factory incentives that include finance and cash purchases. This is a link to one of my local dealerships ... Genesis Incentives, Rebates, Specials in Pittsburg, CA - Genesis Finance and Lease Deals | Genesis of Pittsburg
Hopefully these incentives are country wide for everyone.
So far the all of incentives, lease rates, financing rates, etc. have been nationwide rather than having regional differences like some other manufactures. Hopefully it continues that way to make it easier to exchange information.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.