G70 US Availability?

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the clarification, checking the time for a dealer bond showed 120 days.
Hopefully since they are all already licensed dealers for Hyundai it will go quicker than if one was starting from scratch. I guess we should see soon. Hopefully dealers will start receiving inventory shipments and that will give us something to go by.
Dealing with the state is basically like showing up to the DMV without an appointment. Wouldn't be surprised if they take the full 120 days and try to milk out a few extra bucks somewhere. Fingers crossed though

COToad

Finally a G70 owner!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just did another build of my planned G70 on the Genesis website. This time, based on my zip code, it actually showed my local dealership in northern California ... one small step for me, one giant leap for Genesis!!!
The configurator is showing all the 2018 combo Hyundai/Genesis dealers in Colorado now as well, they definitely changed something. When I just go to the dealer search none of them come up as 2019 dealers yet, it just gives the get notified button.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The configurator is showing all the 2018 combo Hyundai/Genesis dealers in Colorado now as well, they definitely changed something. When I just go to the dealer search none of them come up as 2019 dealers yet, it just gives the get notified button.
Those are old dealers. No new dealers that will be able to sell 2019+ cars have dealer codes yet.

Perhaps some of those will continue to sell...but for now...no go.

All existing dealers can continue to sell 2018 and older.

CarGuru

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, I'm excited if the G70 will show up in Los Angeles soon. If dealers in Palm Springs and Palmdale have them (those are the California dealers listed in the "dealers with inventory" document, both those cities are a few hours drive from LA), then LA should be soon.

Honestly I was very close to buying an A4, and in fact made a very lowball starting offer on one by email two nights ago (the dealer requested I come in to negotiate in person, which I will ignore until I can see a G70 in person) and I'm glad I checked in on this forum to see the latest news because that prompted me to research the G70 again and be reminded of how well-equipped it is even on the base level and what a value it is. A few weeks of trying to figure out trim levels and packages from the Germans can really make your head spin. 🤓

Really looking forward to getting in a G70 and seeing how it feels and -- for me one of the most important points -- how the Lexicon sound system sounds.
Refer to my prior posts for my opinion on the Lexicon sound system.

CarGuru

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
STATE OF THE CAR ADDRESS
It has been a little over a month since I have owned my Havana Red 3.3 AWD "Dragon" so I thought it expedient to provide an update with my thoughts and opinions. The easiest way I can think of doing this is to list the "PROs" and "CONs" as I see them. You will probably notice the CONs outweigh the PROs in number but trust me, the PROs account for a 90% overall weight.

PROs (listed in priority order)
  1. Fun to drive. That's why we purchase a performance sedan-right? To FEEL the awesome performance, handling and braking. If we just wanted a commuter car then we would buy something more practical. A lot of people don't get this. A friend of mine asked me why I would spend so much on my car when I could get one like his for half the cost and it would still get me from point A to point B all the same. I feel sorry for sheeple who feel this way.
  2. Performance. Yes, I already mentioned this in point one but it bears repeating. This car is seriously fast and handles superb with its LSD, torque vectoring, performance tires, twin turbo etc... Taking this car out on the flat or on a curvey mountain road is a joy. Speaking of flats, I think I will be taking this car out to the Salt Flats soon (like I have with all my cars and motorcycles) to give it a good test.
  3. Design. This car looks better than anything else out there now and it helps that it is very unique (thanks fiasco rollout). I get lots of compliments and a lot of "what the hell is that?" In a selfish sort of way, I hope Genesis continues with its horrible rollout because I currently am driving the ONLY G70 in Utah (that I have seen) and we all know that scarcity is highly correlated to likability in addition to helping it not looking dated longer.
The design is luxurious yet aggressive and sporty and grown up appearance without looking like a "boy toy" Subaru with a silly ridiculous spoiler.
The colors the G70 offers are also top notch. Even the Siberian Ice color (which I have spoken out against) is by far the nicest of all the "primer gray" colors available. I rank the colors in this order: Havana Red, Mallorca Blue, Santiago Silver, Siberian Ice, Adriatic Blue, Himalayan Gray, Victoria Black and Casablanca White. For what it's worth, Mazda also gets it on color--they offer some very nice options. (I have never owned a Mazda) BMW, on the other hand, does not get it. I almost purchased a 440iX M trim last year but the white they offered was just plain white! No metallic, no pearl white--just plain boring white. Come on BMW! If I wanted plain, boring white, I would buy a Corolla or something similar.
  1. Features. I love the interior cockpit controls for their beautiful design and ease of use. Please don't change this Genesis! I HATE cars (Tesla) that require you to use a touchpad for almost everything from turning on your lights to adjusting the volume on your sound system.
  2. Genesis Connective Services. It is very nice to be able to remote start your car and have it warm up on a cold winter day. Heater goes on, steering wheel heats up but some odd reason, SEATS do Not warm up.
  3. Heads Up Display. Very cool and adds a nice degree of safety too!
CONs (listed in priority order) If any of you have solutions on how to fix/improve these things, please let me know.
  1. No Performance Exhaust! Come on Genesis! You design a serious performance sedan and don't offer (as an option at least) performance exhaust? BMW offers it (didn't you come from BMW Albert Bierman?) as does Mercedes and others and they sound great! Genesis (even with the fake exhaust turned on) is very quiet. If I wanted a quiet car, I would buy a Tesla. I want my neighbors to know when I am coming home (yes, I would be respectful and turn it down in early morning). One of my neighbors has an original Cobra Shelby and hearing that car coming and going is like music to my ears.
  2. The "premium" Lexicon sound system is not that good. It's ok, but for a premium car, it should be better. The premium Bose system in my old Infiniti G35 is MUCH better. (I miss it)
  3. Handling is a little squirrelly. The car tends to wander a bit on the straightaways cruising down the highway--constant adjustments need to be made. To be fair, it may be the tires--I will see how my summer tires behave when I swap them out.
  4. Range is too short. How big is this gas tank? 14 gallons? The range of this car is about 300 miles--at 21 miles per gallon mileage that is 294 miles. Other similar cars I have had (with same mileage results) I could go around 350 miles between fill ups meaning the gas tanks were more like 16-17 gallons.
  5. Small back seat and small trunk--ok whatever, I will never be in the back seat but I feel sorry for those who are. The engineers can't figure this out? No, I'm not asking for a full size car, i'm just asking for comparable space like other cars in this same class.
  6. Trunk has auto open feature but no auto close? There should be a button or some way to close the trunk without having to do it manually (oh, the humanity!) and getting my fingerprints all over the trunk.
  7. Seat Belt Warning Sound stays on until you put on your belt. This is probably a good thing but my other cars do not have this and sometimes I just don't want to wear my belt and don't need or want Big Brother screaming at me till I put it on.
  8. OBNOXIOUS Warning light (Emergency Flasher) in the middle of the console. Wow, can this thing be in more in your face and obnoxious? Yes, I know what it is and its purpose but can we tone it down a bit?
  9. No license plate holes engineered for U.S.A. So what do they do? The dealers have to DRILL holes in the trunk and attach screw anchors. Really Genesis? Isn't the U.S. of A worth a little bit of engineering so dealers don't have to resort to this sort of afterthought solution?
  10. HUGE Key fob. WOW, that thing is huge and bulky. Please tell your 21st century engineers to cut that thing down to half that size. (like my other cars)
  11. The center console is only one tier--most other premium cars I have had or seen have a two-tier storage system
  12. The Boomerang on the side is tacky. I know some will disagree, but I feel premium, luxury brand like Genesis does not need to resort to such silly styling. It's a little juvenile.
  13. Auto Wiper reading is backwards--it reads "high" when it is low and visa versa.
That's all I can think of for now. I hope this is helpful. If Genesis were smart (not counting on it) they would read these forums and comments like these and make their great cars even better.
Happy motoring!
Two more minor "Cons" to add to the list:
  1. The floor matt removal design is awful. In order to remove the floor matts you have to tip the matts TOWARD the seats thus depositing all the dirt, sand and crap under the front seats. Whoever came up with this design should be fired. I have since replaced the defective Genesis floor matts with Tux Matts which I like very much.
  2. The horn is a little weak. I have refused to purchase some cars because their horns sound like a sheep bleating. (Accord etc...). A luxury performance sedan should have a strong horn like most American performance cars. (Mustang, Camero, Corvette) Heck, even my old Infinity G70 had a much deeper and richer horn than the G70.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The mats were designed by lawyers. Remember a few years ago the complaints of runaway cars and mats getting stuck under pedals? Lawyers will improve things until they are useless.

Never thought about the horn. Where I live, there are no cows roaming the streets that have to be scared away. Not sure I ever used mine. While I agree that you expect a strong sound in a high priced car, it certainly is not a deal breaker. Never bothered testing one when buying.
I think that would make the mats designed by Quality Control folks who are trying to avoid issues which allegedly caused prior accidents. 😉 (possibly spurred by greedy plaintff attorneys, but not the good guys--the honorable defense attorneys.)

scorp99cam

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Excuse me, I'm bringing this over here because it really belongs in this thread. (Was just discussed in the G70 Reviews thread here (Genesis G70 Reviews)

I noticed on Twitter there was a guy in Westminster, California (an hour or so south of LA) showing off his new G70. I wondered how he got it. Others quickly identified him as a lawyer for Hyundai. Okay...

But still, wouldn't he have to get it from a dealer who would service it?

Anyway, my real question is: as noted before in this thread, a bunch of dealers in California now have dealer numbers. How long does it usually take after getting a number for a dealer to have some cars to sell?

Thanks in advance.

Twitter post from proud owner here:
I live in San Diego, but I picked up my G70 in Arizona today at north Scottsdale EarnhardtHyundai Genesis. I talked to all the dealers in Phoenix area, and they were the only ones not playing games with the add ons and fees. I would recommend them. If you have any questions about buying out of state I’ll probably have all the answers in a couple weeks. But maybe there’ll be lots of G70 in California by then.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Pete_CA

Registered Member
Looking at the California timeline, Genesis of Palm Springs was first on the code list on Feb 9th, and they now have inventory on their lot, so it looks like the delay between getting their code and having cars is about 3 weeks. Let's hope this is true for other dealerships too.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just so they are easily accessible, here are the US G70 sales numbers for the 5 months the G70 has been available:

Sep 2018: 1
Oct 2018: 51
Nov 2018: 128
Dec 2018: 229
Jan 2019: 596
Total: 1005

Genesis G70 US car sales figures
Someone posted updated Genesis sales on a different thread--I have not verified this, but they posted the following:
February -- Genesis brand - 1,528
G70 - 819
G80 - 533
G90 – 176

Thought I would add it here so can see the G70 numbers (increasing).

Last edited:

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the info on Palm Springs, I also checked Genesis of Palmdale, and they have a similar timeline and already have 1 G70 in stock.
We can hope :)
I’m pretty darn curious how a G70 wound up in Palmdale before there were any in LA. 😳🤣

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.