3.3T Genesis G70 Oil and Filter change (how-to)

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ rockauto is awesome. been using them for years. should be the first stop for any DIY guy to check pricing.
Agreed, I have used them for years as well, for all makes of cars, but I usually find Amazon's price to be competitive, if they have the part.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Toddasaurus, I meant to compliment you on your excellent video of the oil change. Nice job.
I erroneously posted some similar oil change info in the Suspension & Brakes section! Oh boy, senior moment I guess. I don't know how to move the post to the proper thread (or if it's even possible).

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Toddasaurus, I meant to compliment you on your excellent video of the oil change. Nice job.
I erroneously posted some similar oil change info in the Suspension & Brakes section! Oh boy, senior moment I guess. I don't know how to move the post to the proper thread (or if it's even possible).
Ask a Moderator to do it.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did my first oil change today. Todd’s video helped, but I ran into one surprise. I’ve been using my same oil drain catch pan (open pan style) for years and across many vehicles. Never have filled it up and not exactly sure of its capacity....until now. G70 was on ramps, oil drains out with gusto, so much so it was hitting the cross member adjacent to the drain and fanning out a little. Was going reasonably smooth until I noticed my drain pan 3/4 full and the stream of oil not slowing down yet. Never had to reinstall a drain plug while oil was still flowing, but had to or risk an overflow and big mess. Got it reinstalled with about 1/2 inch remaining until overflow. Had to carefully remove my drain pan to empty it into my primary oil bucket so I could finish draining the oil. My drain pan must hold 6 1/2 qts or so. Lesson learned. My 3.3 holds more oil than any car I have ever change oil in. Time for a bigger drain pan for hot oil running down your hand is no fun.

Redwing

Registered Member
Northville, MI
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nice thread for the DIY clan.

I have a related question and didn't think it's worth another thread, so here it goes. Does Genesis/H put in a different oil from the factory? This topic seems to come up on every new car I've purchased:. MDX, Audi, MD, etc. Some go to extremes and analyze the oil for lubrication props, metals, etc. And still, some of the OEMs put in some additives meant to stay in for a specific length of miles to coat up the walls, etc.

So, not to stir up trouble, but have any of you early oil changers determined if one can change oil too early for the first one? Not asking for a friend. :unsure:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I have a related question and didn't think it's worth another thread, so here it goes. Does Genesis/H put in a different oil from the factory? This topic seems to come up on every new car I've purchased:. MDX, Audi, MD, etc. Some go to extremes and analyze the oil for lubrication props, metals, etc. And still, some of the OEMs put in some additives meant to stay in for a specific length of miles to coat up the walls, etc.

So, not to stir up trouble, but have any of you early oil changers determined if one can change oil too early for the first one? Not asking for a friend. :unsure:
Good question. I would expect there to be certain special lubricants from the factory to help with break in, so I too have wondered if it's actually a bad idea to change the oil really soon, like at 300 miles or something. I always wait until at least 1500 or so before doing the first oil change, but I can't say that's based on any data.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did my first oil change today. Todd’s video helped, but I ran into one surprise. I’ve been using my same oil drain catch pan (open pan style) for years and across many vehicles. Never have filled it up and not exactly sure of its capacity....until now. G70 was on ramps, oil drains out with gusto, so much so it was hitting the cross member adjacent to the drain and fanning out a little. Was going reasonably smooth until I noticed my drain pan 3/4 full and the stream of oil not slowing down yet. Never had to reinstall a drain plug while oil was still flowing, but had to or risk an overflow and big mess. Got it reinstalled with about 1/2 inch remaining until overflow. Had to carefully remove my drain pan to empty it into my primary oil bucket so I could finish draining the oil. My drain pan must hold 6 1/2 qts or so. Lesson learned. My 3.3 holds more oil than any car I have ever change oil in. Time for a bigger drain pan for hot oil running down your hand is no fun.
I can just picture it! You go from trying to do a nice, neat, careful oil change to total messy chaos in seconds, with hot oil all over everything. A similar thing happened to me once. It won't happen again. (The air/oil cooled Porsches take 11-12 quarts!)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good question. I would expect there to be certain special lubricants from the factory to help with break in, so I too have wondered if it's actually a bad idea to change the oil really soon, like at 300 miles or something. I always wait until at least 1500 or so before doing the first oil change, but I can't say that's based on any data.

I'm in the same boat. I've read quite a bit about this on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum, and many people think the break in oil is something specific to help break in. It certainly makes sense that there is a specific type of oil during break in, but I don't know if there is any conclusive evidence pconfirming such a thing.

Either way, I think changing it after the 600 miles is still beneficial. I changed mine around 1300. The engines that I've rebuilt I've always used conventional oil. Change after letting the car fully warm up for the first time, then change after the first 10-15 miles, then keep the 3rd batch of oil in there for the next 1000 miles, then finally after that switch to full synthetic.

The majority of engine break in is done at the factory, so I think 600 miles is plenty for things to be completely seated, and subsequently safe for any oil of your choice after that.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Not sure if manufacturers use specific break in oils these days or not? My personal opinion, 30 years ago it was more possible, for alloys used in car engines, machining tolerances during fabrication and digital inspection methods have all changed greatly between then and now. Engines now are more advanced and tolerances held are more consistent so wear at break in is more controlled. I remember back in the 80s while in aircraft maintenance school we used a straight weight mineral based oil after engine rebuild. We ran the engine for an hour and then changed to an aero shell multi-weight to use for the next 25 hours. My G70 had 1200 miles at oil change so feel comfortable break in was complete so time for a known high quality synthetic oil change.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My 2003 Honda Pilot, sold years ago, did state in the owners manual to not change the oil early. Don't think the Genesis does, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200125-235037_Office Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20200125-235037_Office Mobile.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 16

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What is the torque on the oil drain plug?

25.3 - 32.5 lb-ft

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
25.3 - 32.5 lb-ft
Thanks, I should have searched first, I ended up finding it.

Thanks for your video too. What I didnt realize was that my oil pan is totally different. It must be a RWD vs AWD configuration. Mine is RWD and what a PITA! I discovered that the dealership (first and last time I took it in for an oil change) nearly stripped the drain plug head. I ordered a new one that I'll change next time. There is zero room between the drain plug and cross brace. You cannot get a socket on it, so I had to use a wrench. This also meant that I had to torque it using a crowfoot wrench on the torque wrench which is wonky at best. I was conservative because the use of the crowfoot makes for inaccurate torque readings if not turned exactly 90 degrees to the shaft of the torque wrench. Ugh

Attachments

• 20200308_171017.jpg
    20200308_171017.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks, I should have searched first, I ended up finding it.

Thanks for your video too. What I didnt realize was that my oil pan is totally different. It must be a RWD vs AWD configuration. Mine is RWD and what a PITA! I discovered that the dealership (first and last time I took it in for an oil change) nearly stripped the drain plug head. I ordered a new one that I'll change next time. There is zero room between the drain plug and cross brace. You cannot get a socket on it, so I had to use a wrench. This also meant that I had to torque it using a crowfoot wrench on the torque wrench which is wonky at best. I was conservative because the use of the crowfoot makes for inaccurate torque readings if not turned exactly 90 degrees to the shaft of the torque wrench. Ugh

As far as the oil pan is concerned, I think it is an AWD vs RWD thing like you said. It's weird though... You'd think Genesis would use the exact same block for both! But for once the AWD actually has something that's easier access than the RWD model. Haha.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's just amazing to me how dealer mechanics make the cliche mistake of overtightening the drain plug and filter. This is oil change 101 and they screw it up worse than some newbie who's never touched a wrench before. It's either out of carelessness/laziness, or an abundance of fear that the thing might leak or even loosen and fall out.
I too have decided to do my own oil changes (originally just because their oil doesn't meet the recommendation in the manual) after finding that the dealer way overtightened both the drain plug and filter on the very first oil change. And this was supposedly done by the more experienced "Genesis" mechanic.
When I bought my last BMW, which was certified and serviced at the dealer, I broke my freaking wrench the first time I tried to remove the oil filter!! WTF!

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I'm curious, is 0W-30 fine for our cars? From what I have been reading, it seems like it might be better(?) but I'm not exactly well versed in this stuff.
The reason for asking is that it was listed as the product used for my last oil change at the dealer. I also figured that being in California probably means that I never actually test the lower temp limits of the oil anyways.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums