3.3T Genesis G70 Oil and Filter change (how-to)

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I'm curious, is 0W-30 fine for our cars? From what I have been reading, it seems like it might be better(?) but I'm not exactly well versed in this stuff.
The reason for asking is that it was listed as the product used for my last oil change at the dealer. I also figured that being in California probably means that I never actually test the lower temp limits of the oil anyways.
Yeah, changing the viscosity is fine depending on the climate you drive the car in.
The first number in the viscosity grade is the low temperature, winter rating (i.e. 5w and 10w). In fact, that’s what the “W” stands for: Winter. So, in warmer climates, you can actually go up in the first number, like 10W-30. Is it safe to use a 0W? Sure, but a 0W can get colder before it gets too thick for the engine to pump than a 5W or 10W, so in warm CA that doesnt usually see freezing temps, why use it? That first number is mainly for startup because all oils warm up to the same viscosity rating as the second number.

I also drive a RAM Ecodiesel that recommends a 5W-40 for winter in cold climates and a 15W-40 for summer, warm weather climates.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've been told that the reason why not to use a 0w-30 vs a 5 or 10w-30 is because of the increased additives to help the oil flow better in colder temperatures may actually decrease performance in other areas. No clue if this is true or not. *shrug*

Michael_V

Registered Member
Bawstin, MA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Old school version: First number is starting viscosity and the second is running viscosity. Hyundai Canada sent out a TSB some years back recommending 5W40 for their turbo engines. Since higher viscosity causes the engine to work (albeit minimally) harder, it would adversely affect mpg numbers.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Old school version: First number is starting viscosity and the second is running viscosity. Hyundai Canada sent out a TSB some years back recommending 5W40 for their turbo engines. Since higher viscosity causes the engine to work (albeit minimally) harder, it would adversely affect mpg numbers.
Yeah, when the RAM Ecodiesel came out in 2015, the oil recommended was 5W30. The main selling point of the truck was MPG, so they used the thinnest oil possible and 30 is thin for a diesel. After some widespread main bearing failures, FCA changed the oil recommendations to 5W40 for cold weather and 15W40 for warm weather. They also flashed the computer to hold revs longer between shifts as well as higher idle to keep the oil pressure up. My MPGs went from 32 highway to 26 then got even worse after the emissions cheating fiasco and the mods that resulted. Bottom line is that higher viscosity is usually a good thing for your engine, but may result in lower MPG. I'd rather have a healthy engine than MPGs.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agreed. There's a reason why the E46 M3 motor uses 10W60. (Ironically this 20 year old racing motor design manages to return the same or better mileage than my G70, even with that heavy weight oil.)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well....there is too heavy/thick in some situations. Specifically the S65 engine on the E92 M3, using 60 weight oil was partially contributing to the bearing failure because of the rod bearing design having too tight of clearances to begin with. In theory, using thinner than 60 weight oil could actually help save those rod bearings.

Here is one source explaining the details...
VIDEO: Is the E92 BMW M3 rod bearing issue real or a myth

Even so, generally speaking, I think you're exactly right in that the heavier oil you use, the more protection it offers. 5w-40 probably wouldn't be a bad idea for our engines.

mel woods

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't understand this post. Genesis will do all routine maintenance for the first three years or 36,000 miles. I took my G70 in yesterday for first oil change at 3600 miles. Genesis will pay for all oil changes every 3,000 miles if that is what you want. The dealership uses synthetic oil, Mobil One at mine. Why is anyone changing their own oil and paying for it when it's included in their purchase of the car?

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ so you are referring to the Severe Maintenance schedule, not the Normal Maintenance Schedule. that brings up a good question: what evidence do you need to show to prove you qualify for the Severe service plan? clearly most guys on the forum do not qualify for this service plan. also, it seems many guys in the US are not getting full synthetic included as part of their service. dealers are using either dino or blend oils - and done at 6k miles. so for those reasons, guys like myself (i'm in CAD) are more comfortable with OCI's at twice the Normal Service frequency - which is essentially what you are getting.

in CAD we get the free services for 5 years, 100k kms.

Normal:
1595431616512.png

Severe:
1595431675643.png

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not to mention the fact that my dealer's services department gets dirt and grease on my ivory interior every time I go there, and they told me they don't use synthetic oil to boot.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah, i don't get the oil thing. i don't believe there is a dino oil that meets the OE oil specs. if that is the case, how are the dealers able to get away with not using synthetic? and why not since Genesis will reimburse for service complying with the OE specs?

all CAD services include synthetic, and available oils are the same between us and the US market, so i don't get why the difference in approach being used...

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't understand this post. Genesis will do all routine maintenance for the first three years or 36,000 miles. I took my G70 in yesterday for first oil change at 3600 miles. Genesis will pay for all oil changes every 3,000 miles if that is what you want. The dealership uses synthetic oil, Mobil One at mine. Why is anyone changing their own oil and paying for it when it's included in their purchase of the car?

My dealer doesn't use synthetic oil. They use Motorcraft conventional oil. They also crossthreaded my filter housing cap, and overtightened the drain plug to where it almost stripped the threads. They are completely useless, incompetent, and outright dangerous when it comes to routine maintenance. That is my reason to change my oil myself.

This information was already outlined throughout this thread.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My dealer doesn't use synthetic oil. They use Motorcraft conventional oil. They also crossthreaded my filter housing cap, and overtightened the drain plug to where it almost stripped the threads. They are completely useless, incompetent, and outright dangerous when it comes to routine maintenance. That is my reason to change my oil myself.

This information was already outlined throughout this thread.
Actually reading a thread before commenting? Blasphemy!

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^^ yup. rockauto is always my first stop to price check for parts. awesome site. not always the lowest, but more often than not and they have great coverage.
Have you actually bought parts like oil filters from US sites? I’ve always wondered about shipping and border fees for auto parts.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yup. lots. pre-COVID, of course. shipping to Pt Roberts or Blaine is free. never paid any fees for order totals <$300-$400 or so. if you try to come back with $1000 worth of parts they'll probably get you to come in and pay tax so you'd have to build that in to determine if it makes sense or not. for now free US shipping is not an issue since the border is closed anyways.

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
My DIY was a big fail, first car I couldn't change the oil on - the GD drain plug is torqued so tightly, I'm strippiing it trying to get it off. It's crazy! It's like welded on, so off to dealer on Monday. Super frustrating.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My DIY was a big fail, first car I couldn't change the oil on - the GD drain plug is torqued so tightly, I'm strippiing it trying to get it off. It's crazy! It's like welded on, so off to dealer on Monday. Super frustrating.
From the factory or did the dealer do the previous change?

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
From the factory or did the dealer do the previous change?
Dealer I purchased from did the oil change. As it turns out, the bolt was completely frozen, torqued to death and rounded off. Initially my current dealer thought they were going to have to drop the oil pan, and give me a new pan, but after we all stood around the car on the lift, looking up at the bolt and brainstorming one of the mechanics had the bright idea of chisling it off, which worked. New drain plug and a change later, I'm good to go.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Dealer I purchased from did the oil change. As it turns out, the bolt was completely frozen, torqued to death and rounded off. Initially my current dealer thought they were going to have to drop the oil pan, and give me a new pan, but after we all stood around the car on the lift, looking up at the bolt and brainstorming one of the mechanics had the bright idea of chisling it off, which worked. New drain plug and a change later, I'm good to go.
Not a true happy ending but certainly less bad than it could have been.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Initially my current dealer thought they were going to have to drop the oil pan, and give me a new pan, but after we all stood around the car on the lift, looking up at the bolt and brainstorming one of the mechanics had the bright idea of chisling it off, which worked. New drain plug and a change later, I'm good to go.
Sometimes a huge pair of Vice Grips does the trick.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums