Genesis G70 Reviews

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah the only performance related woes, the acceleration and braking, are both solved by the 3.3T. It's a shame they don't use that for comparison because in terms of price, the 3.3T is about the price of the 4 cylinders of the competition.

But if the 2.0T did take 7.8 seconds to get to 60, then I can understand the score for it; that's dreadful. Of course we have already hashed that conversation out, but do you guys think their use of regular gas affected the acceleration? 7.8 is significantly higher than even the high times we've seen before. It was likely cold during the test too since they test somewhere it snows, but wouldn't that help performance instead?
It doesn't matter. They can't test cars properly. And their testing for the most part contradicts actual auto journalist.
Car people like the car. Appliance people don't and that is what CR is!

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It doesn't matter. They can't test cars properly. And their testing for the most part contradicts actual auto journalist.
Car people like the car. Appliance people don't and that is what CR is!
Actually they are one of, if not the most, respected and comprehensive testers of automobiles. What you have to keep in mind though is that they are not just looking at how sporty a drive is, how it corners, etc., they are looking at a myriad of factors mainly from a general consumer's point of view. It is a different way of looking at vehicles then you will get from an organization that is more geared toward the enthusiast.

How Consumer Reports Tests Cars

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Actually they are one of, if not the most, respected and comprehensive testers of automobiles. What you have to keep in mind though is that they are not just looking at how sporty a drive is, how it corners, etc., they are looking at a myriad of factors mainly from a general consumer's point of view. It is a different way of looking at vehicles then you will get from an organization that is more geared toward the enthusiast.

How Consumer Reports Tests Cars
Their test criteria can be whatever but they inject a lot of personal bias into it.
Like I mentioned before, they ding one manufacturer for certain things but not another for the same.
I'm not buying the G70 with the same criteria as I would if I were shopping for an Accord or Camry, so why would I want to be graded on the same criteria?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Their test criteria can be whatever but they inject a lot of personal bias into it.
Like I mentioned before, they ding one manufacturer for certain things but not another for the same.
I'm not buying the G70 with the same criteria as I would if I were shopping for an Accord or Camry, so why would I want to be graded on the same criteria?
I guess you aren't following and no use going into it again. Obviously you can ignore any and all ratings/reviews, etc when making your decision.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
as others mentioned, i know we've discussed the 2.0T acceleration numbers before, but these CR results are startling:

i'm not sure if CR tested all 3 vehicles at the same time under the same conditions as a head-to-head comparison using similar launch techniques. that's what we need and i'm waiting for C&D or some other enthusiast media to do that.

i just cannot understand the massive deficit that the above comparo shows. a 16.1 @ 91 is laughable. did they have 4 people aboard, or were they towing a jet-ski? i've seen 0-60 times ranging from 6.0 to now 7.8 seconds for the 2.0T 8AT. how is that possible? looking at power-to-weight, gearing, aero, etc...nothing is adding up. the G70 2.0T 8AT should be right there with the competition, but it's not. regular fuel could be a factor, or the engine is over-rated. if that was the case Hyundai/Genesis could be in hot water.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Consumer Reports is correct that the rear cabin is tight, the trunk is small, fuel economy is poor and the 2.0t acceleration lags the competition substantially.

They like the handling, controls and fit and finish. This is very important.

The 3.3T certainly corrects the performance problem of the 2.0T, but the other problems remain. If it's got a good price advantage, I'm still considering it.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
i've seen 0-60 times ranging from 6.0 to now 7.8 seconds for the 2.0T 8AT. how is that possible? looking at power-to-weight, gearing, aero, etc...nothing is adding up. the G70 2.0T 8AT should be right there with the competition, but it's not. regular fuel could be a factor, or the engine is over-rated. if that was the case Hyundai/Genesis could be in hot water.
One thing to consider is that CR buys the cars that they test from retail dealers. I assume so they can have a "real world" car.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What I appreciate about Consumer Reports is that they're more normal people focused instead of enthusiast focused and that they keep and test the cars for a long while. They've had the Genesis for months now and share it in normal driving and also do their test course.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You made my point. What you and CR consider a problem, many buyers would not. Depends on your needs. I've owned cars with even smaller rear seats.

You have to read what they point out and score according to your needs, not theirs. I've owned a couple of cars that either had no back seat or no one ever sat in it.
Yeah some folks don't get it. CR's criteria is a one-size-fits all approach. Nobody would buy a BRZ or GT-86 if you go by their scoring!

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I believe some people are talking about things they don't know anything about. Perhaps if they do some research on how Consumer Reports calculates the score for a car and how that differs from the other items they mention it would make things a little clearer.

Then again, CR is just another source of information. Take from it what you will.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There are some oddities in that CR review that make me want to see the test a different car or show exactly what they were doing with it. I certainly wouldn't just throw their opinion in the trash but they've been starkly critical of some pretty great cars over the years so they tend to be a pretty low down the list data point for me either way.

It is a great car, anyone who drives it will generally say that, the awards back that up and while all these reviews in this thread are great info it's obviously up to each person's needs and wants. Anyone reading this considering the car, I would just say check it out yourself and don't let the CR review put you off at all, the car is best experienced first hand.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And...another award. Best car of 2019 (um...we are only in Feb) by Canadian Automotive Jury. Title should be 2019 cars...not best car of 2019 :)

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not a review per se but this video talks about the difference between the 2018 vs 2019 Korean models.
Watch from 13:00 onwards.
Looks like only their Prestige onwards gets the 3D cluster auto trunk and some other stuff I can't translate.
Their 3.3t AWD gets LSD which the NA Sport 3.3T already had plus automatic trunk and 3D cluster and something else.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I wish they went more into how the weight balance difference affects the driving. They mentioned it but didn't talk about it as a factor.

One interesting thing to note is that they say the Volvo rides just a bit better, but it also has 18 inch tires vs the G70's 19 inches. I wonder if the G70 would be comparable in ride quality with equal aspect ratio tires.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.