• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis G70 Reviews

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Things to consider:

1) The Supra is somewhere between 400 and 600 lb lighter depending on G70 spec.

2) The ZF8 is the single best transmission on the market, and while ours is good, theirs simply shifts quicker.

3) Like most BMW engines, I strongly suspect the 335 hp rating on the B58 in that car is bull**** and the car in fact makes more.

With a clean launch I'm not surprised to see that figure.
Was there a reason why HGK developed their own 8-speed instead of using the ZF?
Also is it different than the FWD based 8-speed on the Sorento, Sante Fe, and etc. which was supposedly derived from the Cadenza?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think Beefers point is that they are going way more all out to give the Supra every chance in the world and it’s not consistent with the g70s review or the reviews of several other cars where they only mentioned doing 1 launch. Of course the Supra is going to put down a better 0-60 but C&D owes everyone more consistency is the point

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think Beefers point is that they are going way more all out to give the Supra every chance in the world and it’s not consistent with the g70s review or the reviews of several other cars where they only mentioned doing 1 launch. Of course the Supra is going to put down a better 0-60 but C&D owes everyone more consistency is the point
Exactly. I don’t doubt the Supra is fast. It’s C&D I have an issue with.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Also is it different than the FWD based 8-speed on the Sorento, Sante Fe, and etc. which was supposedly derived from the Cadenza?
I don't know this to be true for certain, but I would hazard a guess that it was for cost reasons.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't know this to be true for certain, but I would hazard a guess that it was for cost reasons.

Hmmm... Who knows, really. Even so, I would assume that developing your own transmission would cost much much more than just going with the ZF? Obviously I have no idea how all the business works...

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'll indirectly answer your question by noting that HMG also owns/makes the following steps in the "foodchain": they make their own steel (only automaker to do so), they build the roads/bridges in Korea that carry materials to the plants, they make the ships that carry the cars to their end destinations, they own their own logistics and parts suppliers, they own their advertising agency (Innocean), etc... Hell, they even make the main battle tanks that defend the northern border! (Google "K2 Black Panther" for some cool photos). Vertical integration.

And no, the 8-speed in Genesis models differs substantially from the FWD application - RWD applications with a longitudinal engine layout are inherently very different from FWD transaxle applications.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Observations
Took my first long drive with the new G70 today (2 hours 125 miles) and had enough time to reflect on the character of the car especially compared to my beloved 2015 Genesis Ultimate which I traded in for my red prestige 3.3T. Of course, they two are very different platforms with different goals but some things are fundamental to them both seeing as they share the same heritage. There’s no doubt for me that the G70 achieves its goals very well. I won’t discuss the performance difference because it’s obviously not a fair comparison. First I noticed that the LKA works better it maintained center lane better and I was able to keep my hands off the wheel longer. The smart cruise has also apparently been tweaked it was smoother and more predictable. The HUD looks better and is brighter. While I thought my Ultimate had a very good transmission the G70s was even better smoother and quicker. Now for things it fell short “for me” first I hate that NAV screen up on top of the dash like that. If you’re going to do that well then make so it can go down. The NAV screen on my Ultimate was perfectly integrated and large and I don’t like not having a jog dial. I miss the compass on the rear-view mirror my Ultimate had and it was nice to be able to close the trunk from inside the car. While I like the sound of the exhaust accelerating, I don’t want to hear it all the time. I understand the purpose of the car (I get it) but do they have to have the exhaust rumble at a 70-mph cruise. That’s with all fake exhaust sound turned off. In my Ultimate under those conditions it was supremely quite in the cabin and I consider that important if you take say 10-hour drive for a couple of days. Don’t get me wrong I love my G70 it is an exciting car and to give due credit as you can see from the picture it’s not yet broken in and is getting what I consider to be excellent mileage for an AWD six-cylinder car. 20190601_092228.jpg

vicmdv

Registered Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thank you, Ernie, for a good review and comparison. You bring up good points.
27.2 average MPG is a pretty good mileage for 3.3T AWD. Is that mostly highway?

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Thank you, Ernie, for a good review and comparison. You bring up good points.
27.2 average MPG is a pretty good mileage for 3.3T AWD. Is that mostly highway?
I'd say about 65% highway. Very conservative driving of course. Still within my 600 mile breakin window.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Exhaust rumble at 70mph? Maybe I'm deaf, but I don't get that.

Kudos on the MPG conservation. I can barely scrape 27 driving to work (80% highway). As soon as I hit the surface streets my MPG goes back to being terrible and tanks my average

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Exhaust rumble at 70mph? Maybe I'm deaf, but I don't get that.

Kudos on the MPG conservation. I can barely scrape 27 driving to work (80% highway). As soon as I hit the surface streets my MPG goes back to being terrible and tanks my average
Maybe rumble was a was overstated. That’s only because my Genesis Ultimate was so quite at that speed, I just got used to it being that way. The G70 is considerably so given its nature and it’s driving dynamics. From what I’ve read from my research before buying the car it’s as good as the competition and better than most in that respect.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums