• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis G70 Reviews

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ exactly. i've got no problem comparing a $45k G70 2.0T to a $45k 330i. the article does mention that how they would spec the 330i would come to $48,695, so that's at least in the ballpark. at that point maybe the 330i is the fair winner - it's probably the better car comparing 2.0T's at similar price points. i didn't see the final scoring so i'm not sure how much of a difference pricing made in the rankings.

but i'll say it again, most people (not all) try to get the most bang for their buck. so the idea of getting a 330i for $50k versus a 3.3T G70 for $50k would be an interesting choice. i know which way i'd go, obviously. brand snobs and ignorant people wouldn't even consider the G70 which is why G70 sales will lag for the foreseeable future.

in my books one of the G70's attractions is its relative rarity. the Alfa & S60 would be similar, i don't see many of those. but 330is, A4's and C-class are dime a dozen around here given the cheap leases. every first-year real estate agent, junior accountant, articling law clerk and spoiled high school student has one...usually white or silver or black. so boring, even though they are all good cars.
I looked at C&D's final scoring BMW (207), Alfa (196), G70 (183) and Volvo (181). The G70 got the most points for As Tested Price and the 330i got the least. If you flip the points for pricing, the scores don't change by too much.

While I didn't necessarily agree with everything in the comparo, I enjoyed reading it.

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
These magazine comparisons serve a couple of purposes, one of which is to put out there some information upon which readers can base their shopping decisions. Inherently, they include some opinions since not every aspect of a car can be measured objectively. I can safely say that I considered 3 of these cars (all but the Volvo) and ended up with the G70. Price/value was somewhat of a consideration, but not a major one.

I’m glad people disagree on the subjective factors, not to mention the importance of the objective ones. Otherwise, there’d be only one car for sale, and everyone would buy it. I’m a fan of these other cars, and I love seeing them up close and driving them. But I like owning my G70.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ lol. hilarious. i have no idea what the point of that is, but it's hilarity at its finest. top-notch writing there. i don't know why they didn't toss some supercars on that list. i mean, if you're going to go nuts, go full nuts. Lincoln Conti is #1? really? i bet not a single G70 owner on here cross-shopped the Conti.

next up: 15 luxury watches we'd buy instead of a (enter any luxury brand watch)
and after: 15 hot models who are hotter than (enter any hot model's name)

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ lol. hilarious. i have no idea what the point of that is, but it's hilarity at its finest. top-notch writing there. i don't know why they didn't toss some supercars on that list. i mean, if you're going to go nuts, go full nuts. Lincoln Conti is #1? really? i bet not a single G70 owner on here cross-shopped the Conti.

next up: 15 luxury watches we'd buy instead of a (enter any luxury brand watch)
and after: 15 hot models who are hotter than (enter any hot model's name)
They probably thought a Rolls Royce Ghost was just a little too big/heavy to still be classified as a sedan :hillarious:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, that was a pretty stupid piece. Their first mistake was in the title "Luxury Sedans", rather than Sport Sedans, which is a much smaller category. The BMW 7 series???? S90?? A8??? They are (much more expensive) luxury cars, but not sport sedans by any stretch.
Obviously written by someone who knows nothing about cars.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
He lost some credibility when he started praising the F30 BMW, arguably the worst 3 series ever from a driver's perspective.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2019 Genesis G70 Reliability: Elegance, With Some Bugs - Motor Trend

Great update from motortrend. However the title isn’t accurate. They had one thing with the SCC they didn’t like and then mentioned it’s the same with other car company’s cruise as well. It’s a fair thing to point out, but calling it ‘some bugs’ is not fair

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2019 Genesis G70 Reliability: Elegance, With Some Bugs - Motor Trend

Great update from motortrend. However the title isn’t accurate. They had one thing with the SCC they didn’t like and then mentioned it’s the same with other car company’s cruise as well. It’s a fair thing to point out, but calling it ‘some bugs’ is not fair
It's funny because even humans sometimes have the same issue as the SCC trying to gauge deceleration/stopped vehicles

For those who car, I've noticed that SCC works best when you're staying a bit closer and at the identical speed as the car in front. The minute you lose that car, SCC seems to panic and function in a less than ideal manner

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well some folks have the cruise seed set to 70mph so if traffic is slow and the car in front of you moves out of your lane the can is going to try to get to 70mph as fas as it can.
Following distance, how aggressive the SCC is set AND speed all play a part in how it behaves.
Yup! Noticed that too. It seems that you have to be very intentional with all of the variables that factor into the SCC operation

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums