• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis G70 Reviews

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To further the conversation of the ones wanting a true sports car.. I’d wait for the new Genesis coupe to come out, at the GV80 debut they hinted that it’ll be coming, and if it looks anything like the concept then the rivals are in trouble. Looks like an Aston Martin imo. I’d guess more info will come later this year on it hopefully!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Haven't got mine yet, but what a surprise..... a BMW won a C&D comparo. ;)
The 2.0T is the weakness in the base G70 (which should be rectified by the 2.5T).

The G70, overall (all available engines/transmissions) is still C/D's #1 ranked compact sedan.

Or maybe Hyundai will eventually come out with a 40K RM19 that will blow everyone's minds. The 2.5T and wet DCT in it would be so much fun.
Hyundai was developing a separate 2.3T for midship duty but haven't heard much about it recently.

If the midship does come to fruition (likely won't happen until the price of the C8 goes up), likely will have some electrification via some technical assist from Rimac.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
<snip> I've also realized I need a second car if I really want a pure sports car, and no sports sedan in the world will come close to a dedicated sports car in terms of driving dynamics and feel. Found that out after driving a 718 cayman for one week on a trip.
Sounds to me like a certain mid-engined vehicle manufactured in Bowling Green, Kentucky might be worth checking out :).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hyundai was developing a separate 2.3T for midship duty but haven't heard much about it recently.

If the midship does come to fruition (likely won't happen until the price of the C8 goes up), likely will have some electrification via some technical assist from Rimac.
I think Biermann hinted that the price would need to be around 50k to avoid competition with the C8, but I hope they can create a segment there. It would fully legitimize Hyundai as a proper enthusiast brand. C8 Corvette Has Hyundai Rethinking Its Own Mid-Engine Sports Car - Motor Trend

Sounds to me like a certain mid-engined vehicle manufactured in Bowling Green, Kentucky might be worth checking out :).
I was hyped about the C8 at first but when it weighs 3600 lbs, and the R&T review showed all of the weaknesses, I lost all interest especially once I drove the cayman. I just need to find the perfect timing of an inventory bump once these owners sell theirs for a C8.

Someone else had mentioned the Genesis essentia concept maybe turning into a flagship sports car for Genesis but I get the feeling it'll be priced around the NSX which is way above my market.

Just so I don't get called out for derailing this thread, here's a review of the 2020 G70. Nothing really groundbreaking shown here.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
I think Biermann hinted that the price would need to be around 50k to avoid competition with the C8, but I hope they can create a segment there. It would fully legitimize Hyundai as a proper enthusiast brand. C8 Corvette Has Hyundai Rethinking Its Own Mid-Engine Sports Car - Motor Trend
https://www.motortrend.com/news/hyundai-mid-engine-car-faces-tough-business-case/

Read an interview where Biermann thinks they can do the midship for around $50k - which would be too close to the price of the $60k base Stingray.

At $60k, GM is losing $20k on each Stingray, so the chance are good that GM will hike the price up over the next several years.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ so ridiculous, once again. there's a $15k delta between the G70 and test winning 330i. that's 1/3 more. why don't they compare on price? nobody with $59,220 to spend is going to spec out a $44,895 G70. makes no sense. i'm not certain, but a loaded 3.3T G70 probably doesn't go much beyond $52k which would still undercut the 330i by $7k.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ so ridiculous, once again. there's a $15k delta between the G70 and test winning 330i. that's 1/3 more. why don't they compare on price? nobody with $59,220 to spend is going to spec out a $44,895 G70. makes no sense. i'm not certain, but a loaded 3.3T G70 probably doesn't go much beyond $52k which would still undercut the 330i by $7k.
It makes sense to compare the 2.0 and 330i because you'll have more similar features/engines. Just because you have a bigger budget doesn't mean you need to spend it all. The guy with $60k to blow may still decide to go for a G70 2.0 because he doesn't want a thirsty V6 and it saves him money.

Really the money saved for very comparable equipment would be the instant sell for me

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It makes sense to compare the 2.0 and 330i because you'll have more similar features/engines. Just because you have a bigger budget doesn't mean you need to spend it all. The guy with $60k to blow may still decide to go for a G70 2.0 because he doesn't want a thirsty V6 and it saves him money.

Really the money saved for very comparable equipment would be the instant sell for me
Yes...it is fair to compare 4-banger to 4-banger. BUT...he's saying it's BS that the 330 won. They MUST consider price...and by considering that the G70 is the CLEAR winner.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes...it is fair to compare 4-banger to 4-banger. BUT...he's saying it's BS that the 330 won. They MUST consider price...and by considering that the G70 is the CLEAR winner.
^ exactly. i've got no problem comparing a $45k G70 2.0T to a $45k 330i. the article does mention that how they would spec the 330i would come to $48,695, so that's at least in the ballpark. at that point maybe the 330i is the fair winner - it's probably the better car comparing 2.0T's at similar price points. i didn't see the final scoring so i'm not sure how much of a difference pricing made in the rankings.

but i'll say it again, most people (not all) try to get the most bang for their buck. so the idea of getting a 330i for $50k versus a 3.3T G70 for $50k would be an interesting choice. i know which way i'd go, obviously. brand snobs and ignorant people wouldn't even consider the G70 which is why G70 sales will lag for the foreseeable future.

in my books one of the G70's attractions is its relative rarity. the Alfa & S60 would be similar, i don't see many of those. but 330is, A4's and C-class are dime a dozen around here given the cheap leases. every first-year real estate agent, junior accountant, articling law clerk and spoiled high school student has one...usually white or silver or black. so boring, even though they are all good cars.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ exactly. i've got no problem comparing a $45k G70 2.0T to a $45k 330i. the article does mention that how they would spec the 330i would come to $48,695, so that's at least in the ballpark. at that point maybe the 330i is the fair winner - it's probably the better car comparing 2.0T's at similar price points. i didn't see the final scoring so i'm not sure how much of a difference pricing made in the rankings.

but i'll say it again, most people (not all) try to get the most bang for their buck. so the idea of getting a 330i for $50k versus a 3.3T G70 for $50k would be an interesting choice. i know which way i'd go, obviously. brand snobs and ignorant people wouldn't even consider the G70 which is why G70 sales will lag for the foreseeable future.

in my books one of the G70's attractions is its relative rarity. the Alfa & S60 would be similar, i don't see many of those. but 330is, A4's and C-class are dime a dozen around here given the cheap leases. every first-year real estate agent, junior accountant, articling law clerk and spoiled high school student has one...usually white or silver or black. so boring, even though they are all good cars.
Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense now. Agreed that the rarity is a nice perk

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

There is a reddit thread of this article and one of the Car and Driver editors posted that they didn't review the A4 or C300 because the manufacturers didn't provide a car for the comparison (they probably got worried the G70 could potentially beat them, lol the shame it would bring). So I'm guessing BMW got away with pimping out their ridiculously loaded 330i to compete against the competition. I'm surprised Genesis didn't send the 2.0T sport trim which would've help close the gap.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums