• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Genesis G70 Reviews

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
“Presumably manual shifting is for aggressive and track driving,” Wiesenfelder wrote, “and that’s the information that should be in the HUD. The only indication is in the instrument panel, high on the left where it’s easily blocked by the steering wheel.”
This is exactly the thing that has been bothering me ever since i first started playing around with the paddle shifters. I wish Genesis put the gear selection so it was visible on the HUD. And if I'm being picky, also a shift light would be welcome. I mean, they put that useless radio icon on the HUD, I don't see why they couldn't put something useful for driving on there... Lol.

Anyway, I agree completely with all of their review. I feel like they've got it all right on.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is exactly the thing that has been bothering me ever since i first started playing around with the paddle shifters. I wish Genesis put the gear selection so it was visible on the HUD. And if I'm being picky, also a shift light would be welcome. I mean, they put that useless radio icon on the HUD, I don't see why they couldn't put something useful for driving on there... Lol.

Anyway, I agree completely with all of their review. I feel like they've got it all right on.
I bet if we all write angry emails to MapNSoft they could get it done...or bring them donuts

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just got my latest print copy of Car and Driver. I was excited to see that they had a comparison review of sport sedans, their favorite segment, including the G70, the Volvo S60, the Alfa Guilia and the BMW 330. So they were all the 2.0 liter, 8 speed auto versions in sport trim - although strangely the G70 had the Elite and Prestige packages (with 19" summer tires) , but not the Sport!?
The G70 came in third, ahead of the Volvo. The 330 won the comparo. It would have been nice if they tested the cars with the larger engine packages. The main gripes about the G70 were that it was the slowest (quarter mile and 0-60), had more NVH, had the lowest mpg, and didn't have limited slip. It was also the cheapest though, and they gave it accolades for the interior and for having come so far so quickly. They expect the next generation could be the class leader. Let's hope so.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just got my latest print copy of Car and Driver. I was excited to see that they had a comparison review of sport sedans, their favorite segment, including the G70, the Volvo S60, the Alfa Guilia and the BMW 330. So they were all the 2.0 liter, 8 speed auto versions in sport trim - although strangely the G70 had the Elite and Prestige packages (with 19" summer tires) , but not the Sport!?
The G70 came in third, ahead of the Volvo. The 330 won the comparo. It would have been nice if they tested the cars with the larger engine packages. The main gripes about the G70 were that it was the slowest (quarter mile and 0-60), had more NVH, had the lowest mpg, and didn't have limited slip. It was also the cheapest though, and they gave it accolades for the interior and for having come so far so quickly. They expect the next generation could be the class leader. Let's hope so.
I just read it today as well. I understand they wanted to do a 2.0T comparo test but honestly they should've tested the 3.3T advanced RWD which also ends up at the same damn price. It would've been a close second or first place then because the 1/4 mile time cost the G70 the same amount of points as how much it gained in value score (6 points), and I recall the transmission in the 2.0T is not as good of a match with the engine as the one in the 3.3T and it lost points there as well. The powertrain section is where it scored the lowest out of the 4 cars.

Amazing though the Guilia Ti got 4.6 seconds 0-60 mph and 13.3 sec@104 mph 1/4 mile! That's close to the 3.3T times for the G70. C&D got 6.4 seconds for the G70 2.0T.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was surprised at how fast the 4 cylinder Alfa was too! I'd love to drive one.
If I recall my impressions from the auto show last year, the back seat in the Alfa is even tighter than ours.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I felt the back seats of the Alfa were pretty dang similar to ours, in terms of space, but I think there was a tiny bit more head room because of that dual pane sunroof, but possibly a little less knee room... But the driving experience, for me, was fantastic. The Giulia is an incredibly fun car - the road feel, responsiveness, and gear shifts are perfect. Definitely a driver's car.

I'm impressed with those 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers on the Ti as well. I assume it's able to launch harder than our cars? I think the Giulia weighs less, too... I found a few companies making aftermarket combo kits for it, and it's pretty dang impressive: stock the 2.0 is putting down around 240whp. With an intake, cat-back exhaust, and an aggressive flash tune that thing is up to about 320whp. With a downpipe I bet it would easily get 330-340whp. Considering that it is essentially matching our stock acceleration figures, it would probably be pretty dang similar to an equally modified 3.3 G70, in terms of drag times. Jeez. Kind of makes me want to switch teams! Haha.

16UltV6Guy

I'm back! I unquit.
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jax, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Haven't got mine yet, but what a surprise..... a BMW won a C&D comparo. ;)

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
too bad the comparo wasn't on the 6MT trims of each car - sort of a 'save the manual sport sedan' comparo. i bet the G70 would have finished higher...

i look forward to reading my issue of C&D. i wonder what the as-tested prices looked like. i hate when they compare examples with price deltas. i.e. if someone had $50k to spend, they wouldn't spec a $44k car. they'd option it up to their $50k budget.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As an owner of a Giulia it was a fast car. Much faster feeling than the G70. Look at the power numbers....that 2.0 is more like the new Theta III 2.5

The backseat in the Giulia is similar in the hips and shoulders but better at the toes.

The Giulia makes you feel special and cool, sorry to say my G70 doesn't. But, my Giulia, a 2017, lived at the dealer but damn was it pretty; especially in the Monte Carlo Blue Lusso with Crema interior. Just a beautiful car.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
...But, my Giulia, a 2017, lived at the dealer but damn was it pretty...
^ that's a big 'but'. and one that folks on this forum were not willing to accommodate. no question the giulia is a looker. for many of us, that isn't enough to offset the frequent interaction with alfa dealership 'staff'. hyundai may not be the best either, but at least they don't come off as entitled millennial hipster d-bags.

i have yet to have a more frustrating car shopping experience than when i went in to my local alfa dealer to test a giulia. i can't imagine dealing with the service group on a regular basis...

still, those are impressive numbers for the giulia 2.0T and puts our 2.0T test data results to shame.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's a reason I didn't renew my lease on the Giulia. I wanted to love that car so much.

I will say that I see the same mistakes that Alfa is making made by Genesis. Namely, poor customer service. The difference is that Genesis seems to own that and wants to get better. Alfa/Chrysler, on the other hand, fought me tooth and nail to not help me fix my car. I had to talk to the Regional Manager of Engineering to get the car fixed. I even offered to cover the costs of the fix, even thought it was a warrantable claim, if they'd just try and they still refused!

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If Alfa didn't have the bad reputation I may have ended up in a Giulia Ti as well. C&D called it a 4-door miata which is something right up my alley. But in the end nothing puts a sour taste in your mouth like a mechanical or electronic issue that you have to go through a crappy dealer to fix, and my G70 is going strong without any issues 13 months in, and my wife still gets annoyed how I fawn over it to this day. I've also realized I need a second car if I really want a pure sports car, and no sports sedan in the world will come close to a dedicated sports car in terms of driving dynamics and feel. Found that out after driving a 718 cayman for one week on a trip.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's a reason I didn't renew my lease on the Giulia. I wanted to love that car so much.

I will say that I see the same mistakes that Alfa is making made by Genesis. Namely, poor customer service. The difference is that Genesis seems to own that and wants to get better. Alfa/Chrysler, on the other hand, fought me tooth and nail to not help me fix my car. I had to talk to the Regional Manager of Engineering to get the car fixed. I even offered to cover the costs of the fix, even thought it was a warrantable claim, if they'd just try and they still refused!

Sounds pretty similar to experiences some of us have with specific Genesis dealers. That, and many G70 owners are experiencing random electronic and mechanical issues.

The dealer I test drove the Giulia at was awesome. The salesmen were genuine car guys, really good to talk to while looking at their cars and also during the test drive. The 2.0 Giulia didn't have enough power for me, especially compared to the 3.3 G70, which is why I think C&D's numbers are probably due to a much harder launch than what the G70 offers, as it almost matches the 3.3's figures, despite the 3.3 feeling significantly more powerful when behind the wheel.

I'll be interested to see what the Giulia refresh looks like compared to the G70 refresh. Unless some other car maker comes out with a comparable sports sedan (no BMW or Audi for me though), I think one of those two are the way to go for me.

Last edited:

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I test drove the Gulia Ti as well and share many of the same thoughts on the car. Great handling, sexy looks, but not a great interior. It was fine but nothing more... 4 cyl was good! (strange cold start mind you.. made some not great noises) ..but I know I would always be wanting the QV. The sales person started to tell me about "maintenance" costs for the high performance 4 cyl and I remember thinking I was back in the mid 80s with the crappy 4cyls produced back then...

I do honestly hope that Alpha survives and keeps making the Gulia a higher quality car. It's pretty sweet!

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
...I've also realized I need a second car if I really want a pure sports car, and no sports sedan in the world will come close to a dedicated sports car in terms of driving dynamics and feel. Found that out after driving a 718 cayman for one week on a trip.
^ i hear you on that. ever since i drove a 718 GT4 on the Autodromo in southern Portugal last year i've been searching for a used S model in a preferred colour combo and 6MT. i'll have to be patient.

this was me down the straight...touched a shade over 220km/h before i had to let off. short straight though. the capabilities of that car in stock setup are unreal. 1.1g's cornering according to the readout. not far off that under braking. super sharp turn in. the pro who was riding with me said it was his fave street car to lap around the circuit. not the fastest, but purest sporting machine. he loved the older 6-cylinder better though, which is what i'd be getting. they had a few cars including an AMG GT-S of some sort (you can see it on the left of the picture).

1579118534134.png

Last edited:

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ i hear you on that. ever since i drove a 718 GT4 on the Autodromo in southern Portugal last year i've been searching for a used S model in a preferred colour combo and 6MT. i'll have to be patient.

this was me down the straight...touched a shade over 220km/h before i had to let off. short straight though. the capabilities of that car in stock setup are unreal. 1.1g's cornering according to the readout. not far off that under braking. super sharp turn in. the pro who was riding with me said it was his fave street car to lap around the circuit. not the fastest, but purest sporting machine. he loved the older 6-cylinder better though, which is what i'd be getting. they had a few cars including an AMG GT-S of some sort (you can see it on the left of the picture).

View attachment 26292
Sweet, that must've been a blast! I have doubts I'll ever see a 718 GT4 around my area given how rare caymans are in general. I was very impressed with the PDK and I'm also keeping an eye out for a used 981 cayman, preferably a S, with PASM for a second car down the road. But it looks like the 718 S will be a sweet bargain as it's almost the same price as a 981CS already and the C8 corvette will tank these prices further. The sound from the 718 boxer 4 wasn't as bad as what everyone made it to be, but I haven't driven a 981 to make the comparison.

Or maybe Hyundai will eventually come out with a 40K RM19 that will blow everyone's minds. The 2.5T and wet DCT in it would be so much fun.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums