Get the map updated - cheaper / easier now

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I performed the update just now. thanks to all of you posting the links and info - you made it very easy for me.

First impressions - disappointed. I don't know about y'all, but I abhor software designers that design in a feature, but then in a later software update the feature is removed (likely because they are lazy idiots who inherited the software from someone else and were also lazy not to figure out how the original lazy coder coded it because said original coder was too lazy to document it well!). Such is the case here. In the old map system, we had favorites and then user programmable folders for other ways to categorize our waypoints. I used that feature. I liked that feature. I took advantage of that feature. I had 3 other folders, nicely categorizing the kinds of places I went to.

Now the numskulls removed the other folder feature and all my non-favorites are lumped into one big mass of waypoints. Is it a big deal - no. Is it stupid to do that IMHO - absopositively **** yes!

Anyone figure out how to restore that feature? I fiddled for a few minutes then gave up.

I hope they didn't change how it actually navigates - I've gotten used to that feature - I really don't wish to detour around mars the next time I leave my state!

Ay, vey!

ntmehan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Downloaded and installed per the instructions on September 3rd. It was free and updated with no issues. Pretty much the same process as previous updates except loading to your computer and creating your own SD card for installation. My only concern is with the map screen on my navigation unit post upgrade. It's a different color change than previous updates. The screen is more of a dull grey and the white lettering doesn't seem bright enough during the day. Greens and blues are very light in color. If anyone knows how to change the color or contrast of the navigation screen, please let me know as I've gone through a lot of settings searching but no luck. 2016 Genesis JogDial/Premium)

The color options are located here: Settings > Nav Settings > Display > Map Color

I think the first option in that list is the default for the update and I'm using Milk, which I think is the most contrast-y option. I went from v6.5 straight to v14.5 earlier this year, and while I really appreciate the updates and the fact that they're free now, whatever idiot was allowed to choose the color palettes for this stuff should be fired. I don't like Milk as much as the original colors, but it's the least awful of the three options...

Sggray98

Genesis Model Type
The color options are located here: Settings > Nav Settings > Display > Map Color

I think the first option in that list is the default for the update and I'm using Milk, which I think is the most contrast-y option. I went from v6.5 straight to v14.5 earlier this year, and while I really appreciate the updates and the fact that they're free now, whatever idiot was allowed to choose the color palettes for this stuff should be fired. I don't like Milk as much as the original colors, but it's the least awful of the three options...
I agree with you 100%. The color choices for the maps are absolutely horrific. I keep switching between the three choices the find the most appealing but there just isn't one. Maybe on the next update.

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
Ditto - I agree 'Milk' is the least horrible - but all three are pitiful.

The guidance/routing seems to be galactically motivated - my fears were not quite realized - but close. This evening we tested yet again - It didn't take us to our destinations via Mars, but the two choices home were around Pluto or Neptune. It refused to take me home on the simplest and fastest route - the FL Turnpike (and no, I don't have the 'avoid freeways' box checked).

I added a waypoint on the Turnpike mid distance, it then directed us properly to get there, however it then directed us past the exit immediately adjacent our neighborhood, took the route one more exit north (several miles), east about 3 miles, then back south on a large surface road, circuitously getting us to our home. When I added another waypoint (on the exit ramp near our home), from there it went correctly.

Lastly - we can't find the command to 'stop' a route. When we went to our first destination this evening, we were in the parking lot of the Home Depot and it didn't know we were there. I couldn't figure out how to stop it so I just ignored it. It only stopped the route when I 'changed' the route to go home. Once we were going home, when I exited the FL Turnpike, I tried to cancel the route and I could not find a way to do that. Both my wife and I looked and looked - no luck. All we could find was a way to 'pause' the route. Anyone know how to stop the route?

In the last couple of years I've coined my new acronym - WAD (we are doomed). Does anyone, anywhere test any software anymore?

I wonder if I stick the OEM SD card (old map version) in if it will go back to the original system (I think I like it better).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Once we were going home, when I exited the FL Turnpike, I tried to cancel the route and I could not find a way to do that. Both my wife and I looked and looked - no luck. All we could find was a way to 'pause' the route. Anyone know how to stop the route?
Push the Pause Route button and hold it a couple of seconds. It is in the instructions but I don't recall where.

Can't speak for the accuracy of the routes. I only had one minor "go around" but has otherwise been OK.

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
Ahhh, the intuitively obvious push and hold method. Sure... I do that every day with other applications to find the mystery instructions that should be right out front in plain view. Silly me. ;)

Thanks - I would have NEVER thought of that one. I'll probably have to paste a post-it note on the screen for a while 'till that one gets programmed in my brain!

TexasGrrl

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rowlett, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Downloaded and installed per the instructions on September 3rd. It was free and updated with no issues. Pretty much the same process as previous updates except loading to your computer and creating your own SD card for installation. My only concern is with the map screen on my navigation unit post upgrade. It's a different color change than previous updates. The screen is more of a dull grey and the white lettering doesn't seem bright enough during the day. Greens and blues are very light in color. If anyone knows how to change the color or contrast of the navigation screen, please let me know as I've gone through a lot of settings searching but no luck. 2016 Genesis JogDial/Premium)

There are 3 different themes with the 14.0 version - Milk (Default), Cafe Latte, and Mocha

Go to --> Navigation Settings > Display > Map Color

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
I agree with you 100%. The color choices for the maps are absolutely horrific. I keep switching between the three choices the find the most appealing but there just isn't one. Maybe on the next update.
I agree but the most annoying change my car has is staying in night mode .It does it sometimes or it works fine when I back out of the garage.Never did it before this update.

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
I wish they added dark background (same as night mode) as a 4th option so you can use that in full brightness during the day. I like the new milk background but when you drive towards the evening and night mode still does not kick in (but your headlights already did), it is just too bright and drags too much attention in my opinion. I like my cluster and display brightness set to low during the night so my eyes can focus much better on the road and everything around me. My 2007 Acura TL allowed to use black background during the day mode at full brightness. I loved it so much. Blended in with the rest of the dash very nicely.

bjayfry

Frisco, TX
Genesis Model Type
So bit of an odd issue downloading the map update... For whatever reason the download app didn't recognize that I had more than 32 GB of space on my HD so I downloaded to an external drive and then when I went to copy the files to the SD Card there is well more than 32GB of data so of course it will not fit on a 32GB SD Card... Does anyone have details on the files/folders that actually get transferred to the SD Card to perform the update? I'm thinking the system download on the HD contains more (I've seen fonts mentioned elsewhere for example) than is needed for the actual update on the SD Card.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So for all of those saying they want night during the day....you can. Just turn off auto night mode and then change the settings to allow the map brightness to be different from the gauges.

I run my car (G70) like this every day and have no issues with visibility and I think the black is just better looking than all the khakis.

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
bjayfry - 20.7GB on mine. I'm the standard 8" display 2015 Genesis 5.0. The folder name is 2015_16_Genesis_8_in_touch_USA as an FYI.

For what it's worth, my car is a 2015 5.0 manufactured on 1/12/15. I had never done updates, I doubt the previous owner did. The SD card I removed was 16GB and states Genesis 96554-B1422. The green stripe across the white label says STD 4.x USA

bjayfry

Frisco, TX
Genesis Model Type
bjayfry - 20.7GB on mine. I'm the standard 8" display 2015 Genesis 5.0. The folder name is 2015_16_Genesis_8_in_touch_USA as an FYI.

For what it's worth, my car is a 2015 5.0 manufactured on 1/12/15. I had never done updates, I doubt the previous owner did. The SD card I removed was 16GB and states Genesis 96554-B1422. The green stripe across the white label says STD 4.x USA
So Just that one folder onto the SD Card and the update processed correctly in the car?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
So for all of those saying they want night during the day....you can. Just turn off auto night mode and then change the settings to allow the map brightness to be different from the gauges.

I run my car (G70) like this every day and have no issues with visibility and I think the black is just better looking than all the khakis.
Will it automatically dim at night if I set it to full brightness during the day?

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
bjfry - Not quite.

The instructions simply tell you to copy the files over from the device you downloaded to (as I did to my desktop) to the SD card. You then insert the SD card into the map slot. When you go to the car settings and instruct it to 'update' - I assume it either knows the folder name to look for, or finds some other file it's looking for that tells it the file structure.

The folder I had setup on my hard drive to receive the download I named 'Map Files'. When I ran Hyundai's web program, it asked me to select the folder to download the files to. I selected that folder ('Map Files').

Under that folder it created a single folder of that name - 2015_16_Genesis_8_in_touch_USA. Under that, Hyundai created 4 subfolders and 2 files (one with suffix .ver another suffix .apk), then a cascading array of additional folders in the hierarchy it chose. It's the aggregate of all these folders and files that comprises the 20.7 GB.

Last edited:

bjayfry

Frisco, TX
Genesis Model Type
bjfry - Not quite.

The instructions simply tell you to copy the files over from the device you downloaded to (as I did to my desktop) to the SD card. You then insert the SD card into the map slot. When you go to the car settings and instruct it to 'update' - I assume it either knows the folder name to look for, or finds some other file it's looking for that tells it the file structure.

The folder I had setup on my hard drive to receive the download I named 'Map Files'. When I ran Hyundai's web program, it asked me to select the folder to download the files to. I selected that folder ('Map Files').

Under that folder it created a single folder of that name - 2015_16_Genesis_8_in_touch_USA. Under that, Hyundai created 4 subfolders and 2 files (one with suffix .ver another suffix .apk), then a cascading array of additional folders in the hierarchy it chose. It's the aggregate of all these folders and files that comprises the 20.7 GB.
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. The Downloader added that folder, but several other folders and files as well so just wasn't sure if those others were also needed.

bjayfry

Frisco, TX
Genesis Model Type
bjfry - Not quite.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. The Downloader added that folder, but several other folders and files as well so just wasn't sure if those others were also needed.

inmanlanier

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
If they are folders under the '2015_2016...' folder, they are IMHO most certainly needed. If they are parallel that folder - perhaps you have other features that big brother Genesis knows you are out of date on and wants to do more updates.

bchone2001

Genesis Model Type
If they are folders under the '2015_2016...' folder, they are IMHO most certainly needed. If they are parallel that folder - perhaps you have other features that big brother Genesis knows you are out of date on and wants to do more updates.
So I downloaded to my hard drive and moved files over to my 32 Gig card. I inserted the card in my 2015 AWD Ultimate with 9.2 inch screen (yes downloaded appropriate file) and went to UPDATE screen but it would not allow the update function to work. However I instantly had a new map available and noticeably different but as stated nothing was "loaded" internally as I was expecting a 30min update process that never happened. My concern is that I am missing other updates that may not be noticeable to the user to the system but as I said its working albeit it must be reading directly from SD card. Does this sound okay?? Any suggestions??

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums