Get the map updated - cheaper / easier now

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Sorry to say, I can't remember! I don't remember the update being immediate, however it sounds like it did what it was supposed to do in your case.

BTW - we are still doing galactic navigation. I have to check each route the car plans when we go somewhere that has any distance to it. Sometimes I need to add waypoints for it to change the route to the most simple and direct route. What a shame. Has anyone else experienced this?

bufub

Registered Member
Northern VA
I just updated my 2015 Genesis 3.8 two weeks ago. There was no charge and the install went well. HOWEVER, the color palette sucks as has been documented. Larger POI file causes noticable lag in route calculation. Larger issue: There seems to be some software changes that range beyond mapping. The radio is now muted 3db while reversing. This is probably a good safety measure but a little bit disconcerting at first. The larger issue is that the display brightness can no longer be dimmed, regardless of setting.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just updated my 2015 Genesis 3.8 two weeks ago. There was no charge and the install went well. HOWEVER, the color palette sucks as has been documented. Larger POI file causes noticable lag in route calculation. Larger issue: There seems to be some software changes that range beyond mapping. The radio is now muted 3db while reversing. This is probably a good safety measure but a little bit disconcerting at first. The larger issue is that the display brightness can no longer be dimmed, regardless of setting.
Don't recall the radio volume changing on my 2015 but the 2018 has had it. I like it. You probably have to talk to a phycologist why it works, but it does grab your attention so you are more careful before you start backing up. It subtlety says, "stop singing along with the oldies and pay attention to where you are going"

Can't comment on the lighting, never tried to change it.

bufub

Registered Member
Northern VA
Don't recall the radio volume changing on my 2015 but the 2018 has had it. I like it. You probably have to talk to a phycologist why it works, but it does grab your attention so you are more careful before you start backing up. It subtlety says, "stop singing along with the oldies and pay attention to where you are going"

Can't comment on the lighting, never tried to change it.
I agree about the radio. I studied psychoaccoustic phenomenon in graduate school and there is a definite link between sound and ability to focus.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Delete post / wrong forum

Last edited:

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
From Hyundai Mapcare Canada website:
Update: New Fall Map Release (Version 14.10) Scheduled for End of November (Limited to Newer Models)

I will wait for my 2016 Update.

sidewinder1

Getting familiar with the group...
Tampa, FL
Genesis Model Type
this update seems to have finally resolved the annoying day/night issue on the touch screen version. also displays actual speed next to the speed limit which is neat.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Did the software add red light camera support at some point? I saw a camera icon with a sideways traffic light show up in my gauge cluster screen.
Like this?

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
Like this?

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Seems to show up when I'm not on a road? Like when I'm in my driveway or the parkade at work. As soon as I'm on a road, it's gone.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Updated my map software to 14.10 today. It finally fixed my issue where the nav lady could never "find" anything I'd ask her find. It works fine now.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
More on the mystery icon. It seems to show up whenever I'm on an unknown road that's not on the maps like alleys and parking lots. It replaces the speed limit icon when it shows up. Probably something to tell you that it doesn't know the speed limit and to watch your speed. Weird that it's in the dash while the HUD and NAV screens show the previous known speed limit.

corneliusw

Hasn't posted much yet...
Are these updates free? I have never updated the map on a 2016, so if I go to the website update.hyundai.com I can do it myself assuming I have the proper tools for no additional cost?

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
UPDATE: What I found so far:

1. The maps on screen have some animations to them (arrows move). It is nice and smooth. The overall look of the maps seems to have been refreshed - made a bit "softer".

2. The navigation voice prompt has a new feature - instead of saying "Turn right on Main St in 300 meters" , it says In 300 meters, turn right on Main Street after two streets". I like that. I have always been a bit challenged on the mileage, so telling me how many streets to count out is great.

3. It is easier to add locations. I was able to fine tune my Home location in seconds (using the cross hairs). Previous attempts at refining my home location sucked and always wrong.

4. The listing of my favourite SXM channels automatically sorted themselves numerically! I could never do that.

More to come I am sure.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums