• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

HID to LED Headlight Conversion

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Hmmmmm drove a 2018??? Whatever for?? :p
Took my car in for warranty service on the pano roof seal and a cracked emblem on the steering wheel which resulted in a new airbag unit as well.

Last time I went they gave me a 2012 base loaner and while not complaining I kind told the guy that I feel us Hyundai Genesis folks get like shafted on the service it seems compared to the actual genesis branded cars. I told him it be nice at least to be in the same year lol.

To my surprise today, the guy remembers me and he said you requested at least the same car last time so we giving you this. Needless to say I'm very happy and grateful for the service, since same car loaner is only for 17 and 18 model years.

youngforever

Getting familiar with the group...
Philly
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So installation is pretty much straight forward on these. Long as you get the harness and how will the led day time running function on their own on the 2015 models since we kinda have none

I'm really considering these or just Retro fit them . But I want that brighter daytime running lights. Gives the car a different look

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
So installation is pretty much straight forward on these. Long as you get the harness and how will the led day time running function on their own on the 2015 models since we kinda have none

I'm really considering these or just Retro fit them . But I want that brighter daytime running lights. Gives the car a different look
The LED headlights are nice, but spending the money and not getting the active portion of the lights is kinda of a bummer.

youngforever

Philly
Genesis Model Type
The LED headlights are nice, but spending the money and not getting the active portion of the lights is kinda of a bummer.
I'm just sick of these horrible hid stock headlights that come with it I'm cool without having the headlights turn with my steering.

Having the turn signal be in the led DRL is a nice feature and the led DRL is more defined looking and the visibility of the headlights are brighter and look good

If I bought the USA version do I need some type of adapter of some sort to get them working

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
I'm just sick of these horrible hid stock headlights that come with it I'm cool without having the headlights turn with my steering.

Having the turn signal be in the led DRL is a nice feature and the led DRL is more defined looking and the visibility of the headlights are brighter and look good

If I bought the USA version do I need some type of adapter of some sort to get them working
I think you need the adapter regardless which version you buy.

brfatal

Been here awhile...
VA
The "According to the IIHS" in my original post is in blue because it's a link. Click on "Headlights" on the left side of the page to see the test results for both the LED and HID headlights. The test results show that, for the Genesis/G80, the optional LED headlights outperform the HID headlights.
You're comparing 2 sets of OEM optics and only looking at one facet of performance. In OP's case he is looking to use LEDs in HID optics, which is not even remotely comparable to what you're trying to pass off. Not only this, but in terms of beam width and output HID in proper HID optics still well out class OEM LEDs. LEDs are starting to close the gap, but they are still not up to par, hence my earlier statement. The best purpose designed LED optics are just under budget enthusiast HID setups (specifically thinking of ACME H1s) currently.

25442926_10208370043488647_1171833054064995379_n.jpg
2018 Tacoma LED headlights vs SC430 HID optics.

In terms of halogen or HID optics with mismatched LED bulbs, throw distance is the opposite of what the chart you're referring to indicates. They are all foreground and no distance projection because they cannot form a proper hot spot because they are bi-directional bulbs instead of sending light everywhere like HID and halogens. Actual OEM LEDs do not use bulbs. They use uni-directional diodes that are completely integrated into the optics assembly (which is why you have to replace entire headlights when they go out instead of bulbs). But back the point, they send less light down the road, where is actually where you need it to be. Foreground light is not useful at road going speed because it's too close to the car to use. You want to be able to light an obstacle far enough away that you have time to react. Not to mention that foreground light is also bad because it cause your pupils to dilate, which further reduced your ability to take in light from everywhere else. It's insidious since that's the light that most people are wanting to increase when it's not what you should be aiming to. Here are some examples that perfectly show what I'm talking about.

7efR0W1.jpg (halogen housings)

AELgHsW.jpg (HID housings - look at the light on the road, not the setting)

yQK50vL.jpg (halogen housings - no hot spot)

r66AxX3.jpg

yoG6aWr.jpg(HID housings)

Last edited:

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
The OP was converting the entire headlight to the G80 LED system, this is a full conversion not sticking LEDs in HID optics. We get the point on HID conversions with different projects, that wasn't the case with this thread.

youngforever

Philly
Genesis Model Type
Will I need the harness adapter even if the led headlights are from a USA Hyundai genesis g80 sport

youngforever

Philly
Genesis Model Type
So if I use the harness everyone else is using would that be fine to use. Is the wiring different on the usa model compared to the over seas one

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
So if I use the harness everyone else is using would that be fine to use. Is the wiring different on the usa model compared to the over seas one
If the person selling the lights has a harness, I'd use that. When I installed the KDM headlights on my Genesis, the wiring harness for the KDM had an extra pin. Additionally, at least of the 2015, the body-control-module for the 2015 is different between countries. Now I'm not saying either of these are issues with using the G80 lights, but I point this out only to illustrate that it may not be as absolutely straightforward as you suggest, and Hyundai definitely has some minor differences between markets. Note I'm not trying to discourage you, because if I can figure out a way to, at reasonable cost, buy an extended warranty past 100K (my car is at 66K now), I would hold onto my car longer and would consider the LED switchover myself.

youngforever

Philly
Genesis Model Type
By chance how many pins does our headlights have and you had oem xenon headlights already correct. Whats wrong with continuing your project past them miles. Especially if your car has been reliable and you can always get a third party extended warranty that goes past THE 100k mark. I just figured with usa g80 sport headlights it would be straight forward plug and play on our cars

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
By chance how many pins does our headlights have and you had oem xenon headlights already correct. Whats wrong with continuing your project past them miles. Especially if your car has been reliable and you can always get a third party extended warranty that goes past THE 100k mark. I just figured with usa g80 sport headlights it would be straight forward plug and play on our cars
Doubt its plug in play the G80 LED head lights have tilt and swivel functions too so that means extra wires and functions we can't use already. So on top of that you need to do a pin out and see what's different. like DRL wires could be in different pin holes etc...

youngforever

Philly
Genesis Model Type
Wasn't there a guy who had the g80 sport headlights and he mentioned them being plug and play. The extra features I wouldn't try and take advantage of. I'm looking for a more updated look with better visibility then my xenons. That truly suck.

sb24

Dallas TX
From everything I've read the 2015/16s REQUIRE the adapter harness. It is 90% plug and play if you have the adapter harness, there is an extra positive wire that will have to be connected.

youngforever

Philly
Genesis Model Type
They don't cost 300 more like 600 hundred dollars.

- - - Updated - - -

What forum memeber on here done this little project.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
I don't remember the pin-count. Here is a post that shows the pin-out of the stock harness on the 2015s. Sorry I don't have the details on the modified harness post handy, but when I take mine apart again I'll post a picture.

As for why I would strongly prefer not to hold onto the car past 100K miles, it comes down to the repair costs for big-ticket items. The head-unit alone in this car is almost $4000. Also in my youth I bought used cars and have on more than one occasion been stranded on a highway in the most inconvenient fashion. So long as I am blessed to do so, I will do everything in my power to not be in that situation again. Besides, if I'm honest, I'm a gadget freak and somewhat addicted to "new-car-smell."

But if I could extend my warranty for 2G for another 50K miles, I would be willing to do that (not saying those numbers are realistic or feasible, just something I pulled out of the air). I really do love my car and am not sure the 3rd generation Genesis/G80 will be available by the time I reach 100K miles. And at this point, I have no idea what I would buy that would have the same level of tech and not be annoying in other ways. Or be way overpriced.