• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Intake comparisons

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I came across a diy intake thread on stingerforum.org. For me in Canada, cost from Amazon.ca would come to about $200. It uses two spectre 3" elbows, 2 spectre heat shields, and 2 spectre air filters. Original thread poster claimed a 0.2 second improvement in 0-60 times. This costs a fraction of the amount for any of the branded intakes, but I have suspicions it won't look particularly good, which I guess is to be expected in a diy intake. I've ordered the necessary parts, hopefully this turns out well. It's about a third of the cost of the branded aftermarket intakes, with hopefully similar sound and performance.

3.3TT - DIY intakes w/Heat shielding drop about 0.2sec off 0-60

Last edited:

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I came across a diy intake thread on stingerforum.org. For me in Canada, cost from Amazon.ca would come to about $200. It uses two spectre 3" elbows, 2 spectre heat shields, and 2 spectre air filters. Original thread poster claimed a 0.2 second improvement in 0-60 times. This costs a fraction of the amount for any of the branded intakes, but I have suspicions it won't look particularly good, which I guess is to be expected in a diy intake. I've ordered the necessary parts, hopefully this turns out well. It's about a third of the cost of the branded aftermarket intakes, with hopefully similar sound and performance.

I just came across this too. Pg 12 has links for Canadians looking for parts. Seems like it's about $220CAD all in. It also looks like a very professional setup, despite being a DYI project.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just came across this too. Pg 12 has links for Canadians looking for parts. Seems like it's about $220CAD all in. It also looks like a very professional setup, despite being a DYI project.
I'm hoping the rest of the parts make it in this week so I can get this setup. At the latest I should have everything by next week. I'm a bit skeptical that the recommended heat shields will do much, but they are better than nothing at least.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Once you install it let us know. Also what part numbers you purchased and photos of final install pretty please! BMS Intake is around $330 USD so not a bad deal.

But if the DYI one allows to go back to stock easier, that might be ideal.

I'm hoping the rest of the parts make it in this week so I can get this setup. At the latest I should have everything by next week. I'm a bit skeptical that the recommended heat shields will do much, but they are better than nothing at least.

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Once you install it let us know. Also what part numbers you purchased and photos of final install pretty please! BMS Intake is around $330 USD so not a bad deal.

But if the DYI one allows to go back to stock easier, that might be ideal.
Looking at the vids on the Stinger forum, the install/uninstall of a factory air box seems super simple:
- 2 bolts to remove the cross brace
- 4 bolts to remove the entire OEM filter box
- 1 loosened clamp to unhook the air hose
Reverse the above to reinstall.

Part numbers and links can also be found there.

Lots of photos of the finished products in that thread, too. Most look really nice. Some have DIY heat shields which are sorta iffy, tho. There is even one that retained the lower half of the airboxes so they would act as heat shields. Don't know how effective that route is. Overall, I think this may be a path I'll look into much more closely.

As to WHY you'd want an easy to reverse mod: Is there any warranty concerns with adding CAIs to our cars? Would something like this void a warranty or otherwise "compromise" our cars? That's my biggest concern.

mrjberlin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm gonna pull the trigger on the DYI setup. The end result should be something very much like the pics Toddasaurus has in post #7 of this thread.
Since I'm planning on using the stock lower half on the airboxes, I won't need the heat shields.
All in, It'll be about $95CAD

* Ordered.

Last edited:

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If someone can find some elbows for the DYI setup that are in black, let me know please...

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If someone can find some elbows for the DYI setup that are in black, let me know please...
I was considering spray paint mine black actually, not entirely sure how the paint would stick to the elbows I ordered as they are plastic.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was considering spray paint mine black actually, not entirely sure how the paint would stick to the elbows I ordered as they are plastic.
Can you send a link to what you ordered? I like plastic, less heat soak vs. aluminum.

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Check out post #226, I wonder what he used? I wonder if the Spectre 8791 being "rubber" is to flexible and a person needs a more solid elbow?
It's apparently, a hard polymer. From one of the reviews:
"But after installing and working with this part it's a really hard plastic that should hold up very well so a bit shocked yet happy with my purchase hope this helps "

I guess we'll see how it turns out when the parts arrive.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums