Interior lighting

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone noticed that the owners manual indicates that the ambient lighting (overhead) can be adjusted to 4 levels in the lighting menu? My car does not have a choice for ambient lighting levels. It just has turn signal and headlight delay. What gives?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191010-213046_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-213046_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 33

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone noticed that the owners manual indicates that the ambient lighting (overhead) can be adjusted to 4 levels in the lighting menu? My car does not have a choice for ambient lighting levels. It just has turn signal and headlight delay. What gives?
Pretty sure the manual was written for all markets, and the KDM market gets ambient lighting in a strip across the top. It sucks because I asked my SA hoping I was missing something....nope. Genesis doing a weird thing and cheap honestly

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The manual says you can do a lot of things including moving the G70 widgets around on the Home Screen....needs a rewrite
Yeah...that widget thing has pissed me off since day #2. I have contacted everyone I could...zero replies or they have no clue. Hyundai and Kia it can be done.

So stupid.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I may have mentioned this before, I wish they had a light inside the center arm rest console. It's impossible to find anything in there at night.
I ended up designing my own and it's a nice improvement I think.
Otherwise I have no real gripes with the interior lighting.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you think we can import them and retro install?
I would think so. Seems the roof center console mount could be switched out. What switch turns that U shaped light on and is it part of the console or not, do not know?If we could get a Genesis part number, I have a Buddy in S Korea who I could probably talk into stopping at a Genesis dealer parts counter and get Korean pricing.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Robot Check

I use these. They come in a 6 pack and stick securely and are quite bright.
Very cool, I haven't seen these before. Good application. I just ordered some for stocking stuffers 😊
Mine is a bit of engineering overkill, using a solid state accelerometer to sense when the console top is opened to turn the light on automatically. 😁

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Very cool, I haven't seen these before. Good application. I just ordered some for stocking stuffers 😊
Mine is a bit of engineering overkill, using a solid state accelerometer to sense when the console top is opened to turn the light on automatically. 😁

Nice!!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks! The trick was maximizing battery life, since it all runs off of a 3v coin cell. I designed it to sleep, using just a few microamps, then wake up for a few milliseconds every second or so to power up and read the output of the accelerometer. If it indicates that the console lid is at an angle of about 45 degrees or more, it turns the LED on and keeps it on until it senses that the lid is closed. If the lid isn't open, it goes back to sleep for another second, so it's always monitoring the angle of the lid (based on gravity). It was my last "government job" fun side project before retiring last spring. It all fits on a small PC board about 0.5" x 1.5", and I stick it to the underside of the console lid with a small piece of Velcro. I was thinking of 3D printing a little enclosure for it, but since you don't normally see it I haven't bothered.
I got kind of a kick out of using something as sophisticated as a solid state accelerometer (which my old company makes, and only cost about $3) for such a mundane task. Technology today is absolutely amazing and super cheap.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks! The trick was maximizing battery life, since it all runs off of a 3v coin cell. I designed it to sleep, using just a few microamps, then wake up for a few milliseconds every second or so to power up and read the output of the accelerometer. If it indicates that the console lid is at an angle of about 45 degrees or more, it turns the LED on and keeps it on until it senses that the lid is closed. If the lid isn't open, it goes back to sleep for another second, so it's always monitoring the angle of the lid (based on gravity). It was my last "government job" fun side project before retiring last spring. It all fits on a small PC board about 0.5" x 1.5", and I stick it to the underside of the console lid with a small piece of Velcro. I was thinking of 3D printing a little enclosure for it, but since you don't normally see it I haven't bothered.
I got kind of a kick out of using something as sophisticated as a solid state accelerometer (which my old company makes, and only cost about $3) for such a mundane task. Technology today is absolutely amazing and super cheap.
A G job part. Love it. Benefits of working in a factory that assembles and produces things. I have a year left of access to 3D printer, full machine shop, sheet metal and composite shop. G jobs are a nice perk.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A G job part. Love it. Benefits of working in a factory that assembles and produces things. I have a year left of access to 3D printer, full machine shop, sheet metal and composite shop. G jobs are a nice perk.
I hear you, although this wasn't a factory, it was a remote design center, so a bunch of us EEs designing analog chips in their cubes. We had a great lab, but no machine tools.
My son worked at Bose, and they had a huge maker space with everything you can think of. Woodworking, metal working, full machine shop, etc... It was amazing!

G70girl

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure if anyone has seen the new Sonata Interior images that were released yesterday but the interior is really stunning. The virtual cockpit looks amazing and it even had the colored interior lighting that is missing throughout the Genesis line. I find it quite funny that Sonata and Genesis were released so close together and the Sonata interior looks superior in many aspects. The fact we are potentially stuck with the existing G70 interior for at least 3 years or more is really disappointing.

pip-sonata-19fc-space-interior-color-navy-two-tone-interior.jpg

pip-sonata-19fc-space-interior-color-camel-two-tone-interior.jpg

pip-sonata-19fc-convenience-rear-and-side-monitor.jpg
pip-sonata-19fc-convenience-integrated-driving-mode-eco.jpg
pip-sonata-19fc-convenience-integrated-driving-mode-sport.jpg

pip-sonata-19fc-convenience-integrated-driving-mode-smart.jpg
I had my car in for an oil change the other day and they had the new Sonata there. Nice looking car for the price and the interior is rather nice as well. Sounds like there is a performance model coming out soon as well that was designed by a guy that worked for BMW for 25 years according to the sales guy at Hyundai. The one they had on the floor was listed at 31000 which is a reasonable price for someone that can’t afford the Genesis..

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had my car in for an oil change the other day and they had the new Sonata there. Nice looking car for the price and the interior is rather nice as well. Sounds like there is a performance model coming out soon as well that was designed by a guy that worked for BMW for 25 years according to the sales guy at Hyundai. The one they had on the floor was listed at 31000 which is a reasonable price for someone that can’t afford the Genesis..
The technology is catching up too. IMO, it is a damned good value. My needs have changed and in a couple of years, it may be a contender. I used to drive 25k miles a year and last year was only 5k. Of course, bu the time I rack up some miles on the G80 we may have government mandated electric scooters.

exbimmer

Registered Member
Hawai'i
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners