• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Is the Genesis Service Experience as good as advertised?

MysticalJet

Registered Member
RTP, NC
Note: This is a bit long but I hope worth the read.

Sorry I can't tell you about any Genesis dealer in the RTP area or eastern part of NC, but here in the Piedmont/Western part, there is only one truly Genesis-named dealership and that's Keffer in Charlotte. I bought my Genesis as CPO from Lake Norman Hyundai and I have taken it in once for an oil change. A little convoluted because we also have a Sonata (purchased new from there), and my service actually started because of a service question about the Sonata I could NOT get an answer from on the phone, so I drove there. The dealership usually has about six or so used/CPO Genesis in stock but I have never seen a new one on the lot. One of the asst. service managers is a friend of mine but he suddenly left and I could not reach him. The asst. service manager I spoke with that day could best be described as having a chip on his shoulder (overhearing his last interaction with a customer). In all fairness, I can't say if he was being provoked or not so I engaged him as if I didn't even hear the previous exchange.
I told him I was only trying to determine if the Sonata was due for an oil change (all service has been done there), and that during the last oil change the reminder sticker was filled out in pen instead of printed (as it always had been) and I couldn't read it. Every time I called it was a "receptionist" who answered and would only schedule an appointment. Twice I asked her to have a service department rep call me as I only needed to determine the mileage for the Sonata's next oil change. Twice I did NOT get to actually speak with a rep or a returned call.
Turns out the Sonata was not due for another 2000 miles.

Now here is where the Genesis comes into the picture

After determining the Sonata did NOT need an oil change, I asked about the possibility of an oil change for the Genesis (2015 5.0 Ultimate). I also mentioned the sunroof was prone to not closing smoothly and a minor upholstery issue on the passenger seat leather where it is covered with trim below the bolster. The rep asked me if I would be willing to wait for it to be done that morning. I told him yes, and the car was put in an already busy schedule for the service department. Overall, I was there three hours. That's a lot of time, but all three issues were addressed (oil change, sunroof, upholstery). I was given a 10% discount on the oil change, the sunroof was lubricated and I was encouraged to use it more often (which was good advice), and the upholstery issue was looked at to my satisfaction.

My understanding is that Lake Norman Hyundai is serving as the quasi-Genesis dealership until a dedicated one is up and running. What was obvious was that the Genesis line appears to get a level of priority above the norm. Now I don't know about valet service (actually not too keen on that anyway), but, so far, I'm finding the Genesis purchase has some built-in perks from Hyundai USA.
Thanks for taking the time to write this and for the insight.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Most "Genesis" dealers I have been to thus far are Hyundai dealers with (1) a Genesis website; (2) a separate Genesis sign on their Hyundai lot; (3) a small area with several Genesis cars (70s, 80s, and 90s). I have not seen a standalone Genesis dealer yet and don't really anticipate seeing one until after the SUVs are pretty well established.
Add to that - there are still Hyundai dealers (which opted not to go forward w/ Genesis) that still have to sell their remaining stock of Genesis vehicles (likely not much remaining at this juncture).

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I got my first service 2 weeks ago. Just simple oil change and tire rotation, with the dealer being 50 minutes away. Valet service itself was excellent, and easy to arrange and organize. I had 3 issues that I wasn't happy with, the last one being minor:

1. They confirmed with me before my appointment that they use fully synthetic oil, but my invoice listed HY SYN BLD, ie, Hyundai synthetic blend
  2. They listed 6 quarts of oil for my 3.3T on my invoice, when it should take a little over 7 quarts. Sure enough, my oil level was just over the L line, thankfully not under. I had to go and buy an extra quart to fill it to a safe level. They probably mistook my car to be a 2.0T which takes 6 quarts.
  3. They didn't even bother to re-inflate the tires to the correct PSI for the front (36) and rear (39) after rotating them
I'm just glad they didn't scratch the paint on my car. I'll try out a different service dealer next time. Or maybe I shouldn't even bother and get the oil change done at a friend's garage using my own full synthetic oil. I am leaning towards buying out my lease so I am planning to stick to full synthetic. I can't trust those mechanics will use my oil.

vicmdv

Registered Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ Bring the car back and make them fix the issues, especially since they promised to use a fully synthetic oil.
Under-oiling for more than a quart is definitely unacceptable.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I got my first service 2 weeks ago. Just simple oil change and tire rotation, with the dealer being 50 minutes away. Valet service itself was excellent, and easy to arrange and organize. I had 3 issues that I wasn't happy with, the last one being minor:

1. They confirmed with me before my appointment that they use fully synthetic oil, but my invoice listed HY SYN BLD, ie, Hyundai synthetic blend
  2. They listed 6 quarts of oil for my 3.3T on my invoice, when it should take a little over 7 quarts. Sure enough, my oil level was just over the L line, thankfully not under. I had to go and buy an extra quart to fill it to a safe level. They probably mistook my car to be a 2.0T which takes 6 quarts.
  3. They didn't even bother to re-inflate the tires to the correct PSI for the front (36) and rear (39) after rotating them
I'm just glad they didn't scratch the paint on my car. I'll try out a different service dealer next time. Or maybe I shouldn't even bother and get the oil change done at a friend's garage using my own full synthetic oil. I am leaning towards buying out my lease so I am planning to stick to full synthetic. I can't trust those mechanics will use my oil.
What brand of oil is the Hyundai Synthetic Blend? Does it meets ACEA A5 specs? I'm asking because we have a good discussion about this here

Last edited:

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What brand of oil is the Hyundai Synthetic Blend? Does it meets ACEA A5 specs? I'm asking because we have a good discussion about this here
[/URL]
I don't know if it is but this dealer has the largest g70 inventory in the northeast so I will give them the benefit of the doubt they are at least using the correct spec as they have serviced a lot of G80/G70s recently. At least they used the correct weight.

I was thinking about driving over to make a fuss but in the end it's a hassle and I'm in the midst of moving houses so I will try to find a better service dept closer to my new home.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't know if it is but this dealer has the largest g70 inventory in the northeast so I will give them the benefit of the doubt they are at least using the correct spec as they have serviced a lot of G80/G70s recently. At least they used the correct weight.

I was thinking about driving over to make a fuss but in the end it's a hassle and I'm in the midst of moving houses so I will try to find a better service dept closer to my new home.
I would definitely let them know--best way to help them improve is by providing constructive feedback. And, you have legitimate complaints which, hopefully, they will want to hear and rectify.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would definitely let them know--best way to help them improve is by providing constructive feedback. And, you have legitimate complaints which, hopefully, they will want to hear and rectify.
I left some feedback this morning. In the grand scheme of things as long as I get my oil changed in 6 months I'm not too worried about using a synthetic blend for 6 months. I bet it came from the factory with the blend anyway.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a whole thread about my experience, but basically it has been pure crappola.

In a nutshell: scheduled an apt for my driver seat that is grinding as well as an audible wobble at 60+ mph. Warranty stuff. Dealership says I can either wait for it or take their courtesy shuttle. I ask what about the loaner or valet? "No, we dont do that unless the issues are approved by the company after inspection." She says, oh you have a genesis, I dont know, you'll have to speak to service department.

Service department says, they dont have anyone available for valet but I can have a loaner which will most likely be an Accent. I said whatever.

They tell me the Genesis tech is only available this day or this day which is a week out. I schedule it, they confirm via email and phone call.

I arrive to the appointment, they do a walk around, take me to the service desk. They again ask if I will be waiting or taking shuttle. I tell them I'm supposed to have a loaner. They disagree and have to call the manager. After 20 minutes of this, they agree to a loaner.

After 10 more minutes they tell me that theres a problem. "Well sir, the problem is that this is a Genesis and only a Genesis tech can work on your vehicle. Unfortunately he left for the day. So, we will need you to reschedule, he's available end of next week..."

I reminded him and showed him the confirmation of the appointment, etc. He shrugged his shoulders and said, sorry for the mixup, nothing we can do. Have a nice day."

I filed a claim with Genesis customer service who apologised and said they would be giving this dealership a call to discuss. Was last I ever heard. They did recommend scheduling all future appointments through the customer care line. They would take care of setting everything up. Also suggested I try another dealership 30 miles away... wtf?

Still havent been able to schedule anything because the dealerships only have a couple gen techs and their availability doesnt align with my work schedule.

Bad taste in my mouth for sure and this is a simple warranty repair issue. Not sure what I'll do for future maintenance concerns.

MysticalJet

Registered Member
RTP, NC
I have a whole thread about my experience, but basically it has been pure crappola.

In a nutshell: scheduled an apt for my driver seat that is grinding as well as an audible wobble at 60+ mph. Warranty stuff. Dealership says I can either wait for it or take their courtesy shuttle. I ask what about the loaner or valet? "No, we dont do that unless the issues are approved by the company after inspection." She says, oh you have a genesis, I dont know, you'll have to speak to service department.

Service department says, they dont have anyone available for valet but I can have a loaner which will most likely be an Accent. I said whatever.

They tell me the Genesis tech is only available this day or this day which is a week out. I schedule it, they confirm via email and phone call.

I arrive to the appointment, they do a walk around, take me to the service desk. They again ask if I will be waiting or taking shuttle. I tell them I'm supposed to have a loaner. They disagree and have to call the manager. After 20 minutes of this, they agree to a loaner.

After 10 more minutes they tell me that theres a problem. "Well sir, the problem is that this is a Genesis and only a Genesis tech can work on your vehicle. Unfortunately he left for the day. So, we will need you to reschedule, he's available end of next week..."

I reminded him and showed him the confirmation of the appointment, etc. He shrugged his shoulders and said, sorry for the mixup, nothing we can do. Have a nice day."

I filed a claim with Genesis customer service who apologised and said they would be giving this dealership a call to discuss. Was last I ever heard. They did recommend scheduling all future appointments through the customer care line. They would take care of setting everything up. Also suggested I try another dealership 30 miles away... wtf?

Still havent been able to schedule anything because the dealerships only have a couple gen techs and their availability doesnt align with my work schedule.

Bad taste in my mouth for sure and this is a simple warranty repair issue. Not sure what I'll do for future maintenance concerns.
Yikes - sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. As I expected, the service seems to be hit or miss. Hoping the service level gets more standardized and higher level once they go exclusive Genesis dealerships.

WWIAFTM

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

That sucks. But if they are coming to you for pickup and loaner delivery, who cares if it's 30 miles away, right?

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yikes - sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. As I expected, the service seems to be hit or miss. Hoping the service level gets more standardized and higher level once they go exclusive Genesis dealerships.
Yeah, if they ever really do end up with stand alone dealerships, that will fix it because theyll have enough loaners, brand ideology/experience and service techs on hand.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Friends, gather 'round and let me tell you the true story of my first Genesis service experience that happened this week. I noticed shortly after getting my car that the headlights were aimed too high, I was blinding oncoming traffic at night, everyone kept flashing their brights at me. So I called my local dealer (Genesis of Cherry Hill in Marlton, NJ) which is a combined Hyundai/Genesis store (they are in the process of building a dedicated Genesis store down the road) so the sales and service areas are shared with Genesis and Hyundai customers. They wanted to set me up for a valet service appointment, but their timing didn't work for my schedule, it was easier for me to just drop the car off and pick up a loaner on my way to work. The service writer seemed genuinely disappointed that they couldn't do the valet. They confirmed that they ONLY have Genesis loaner vehicles for Genesis customers, and that I might get a G80, would that be ok? (y)

So I showed up at my 8AM appointment time and pulled into the service bay. I walked in and the service advisor already had my info pulled up on the computer, and there was a woman standing at the counter with my loaner agreement and keys. Mr. Yogurt? Your loaner is ready to go, just sign here. I was in the dealership for a total of about 60 seconds, then walked out to find my fully optioned Siberian Ice G70 loaner waiting for me. They didn't need my driver's license, registration, or insurance card, unlike every other dealership loaner I have ever had, including VW, Subaru, Mini, BMW, etc. On my way out I asked if I needed to top off the tank in the G70 before I brought it back (again, like every other loaner). "Of course not" was the reply.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the dealership that my car was finished and where could they deliver it to me? Again I said it was easier for me to stop in on my way home from work. When I arrived to pick up my car, my paperwork was waiting on the service counter, along with my keys and - I shit you not - a box of Godiva chocolates. I was out of the service department again in literally less than a minute. When I went out to my car I found it washed, vacuumed, wheels cleaned, tires shined, and a full tank of gas. Amazing.

View attachment 21203

Needless to say, I am blown away. Never before has a dealer made the service experience so easy, or gone so far to not waste my time. I know there are some dealership horror stories on this forum...well this is the opposite. I am truly impressed. This dealership chain (Burns) also owns a Honda store where I get my S2000 serviced. Those folks are nice, too, but it's nothing compared to this.

So let this be a fair warning to all you owners and prospective owners: amazing Genesis service happened to me, and it can happen to you too.
That’s awesome.

Last edited:

WWIAFTM

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Friends, gather 'round and let me tell you the true story of my first Genesis service experience that happened this week. I noticed shortly after getting my car that the headlights were aimed too high, I was blinding oncoming traffic at night, everyone kept flashing their brights at me. So I called my local dealer (Genesis of Cherry Hill in Marlton, NJ) which is a combined Hyundai/Genesis store (they are in the process of building a dedicated Genesis store down the road) so the sales and service areas are shared with Genesis and Hyundai customers. They wanted to set me up for a valet service appointment, but their timing didn't work for my schedule, it was easier for me to just drop the car off and pick up a loaner on my way to work. The service writer seemed genuinely disappointed that they couldn't do the valet. They confirmed that they ONLY have Genesis loaner vehicles for Genesis customers, and that I might get a G80, would that be ok? (y)

So I showed up at my 8AM appointment time and pulled into the service bay. I walked in and the service advisor already had my info pulled up on the computer, and there was a woman standing at the counter with my loaner agreement and keys. Mr. Yogurt? Your loaner is ready to go, just sign here. I was in the dealership for a total of about 60 seconds, then walked out to find my fully optioned Siberian Ice G70 loaner waiting for me. They didn't need my driver's license, registration, or insurance card, unlike every other dealership loaner I have ever had, including VW, Subaru, Mini, BMW, etc. On my way out I asked if I needed to top off the tank in the G70 before I brought it back (again, like every other loaner). "Of course not" was the reply.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the dealership that my car was finished and where could they deliver it to me? Again I said it was easier for me to stop in on my way home from work. When I arrived to pick up my car, my paperwork was waiting on the service counter, along with my keys and - I shit you not - a box of Godiva chocolates. I was out of the service department again in literally less than a minute. When I went out to my car I found it washed, vacuumed, wheels cleaned, tires shined, and a full tank of gas. Amazing.

View attachment 21203

Needless to say, I am blown away. Never before has a dealer made the service experience so easy, or gone so far to not waste my time. I know there are some dealership horror stories on this forum...well this is the opposite. I am truly impressed. This dealership chain (Burns) also owns a Honda store where I get my S2000 serviced. Those folks are nice, too, but it's nothing compared to this.

So let this be a fair warning to all you owners and prospective owners: amazing Genesis service happened to me, and it can happen to you too.
I'm now destined to be disappointed with anything less than this.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Unfortunately Burns was the place where they performed the suboptimal service on mine, so it depends. Their chocolates were nice though.

MysticalJet

Registered Member
RTP, NC

View attachment 21203

Fantastic and glad to read. Hoping this becomes the norm as they gain momentum and experience (y)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums