• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

K&N (or other) Intake Air Filters

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
These filters really don't add power, regardless of the marketing claims, plus manufacturers are locked into very strict regulations, most of these filters do not meet those regulations.

additionally where is the profit in giving a customer a reusable filter? dealers make money off over priced parts.. $50 for a filter you can get at pep-boys for $15.

The only advantage I've ever seen to a drop in filter is keeping the paper ones out of land fills.

The only advantage to full CAI's in a car with no internal mods to the motor (upgraded cams and the like) is noise, increased sound to make the car sound "meaner" or more powerful which i personally like.

Same with aftermarket exhaust, while it does help the vehicle breathe better without internal motor mods, all you are doing is increasing the sound, which in turn decreases the MPG because the increased sound is directly related to how much pressure your right foot puts on the pedal.
Wrong on all aspects. Need to read up on engine mechanics.

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
BMS is working on an intake among other hard parts for the platform. Will be nicely priced, well designed, and easy to install. Will post some details when we're ready. :)
Looking forward to it!

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
@Beefer I was wrong about the testing... Maryland requires emissions testing every TWO years... so if it's just a matter of removing the CAI's once every other year, I'm ok with that LOL so honestly who cares about legal and illegal if I'll just remove it for testing... only issue then is if it's illegal in Maryland, some companies might not even ship those products to Maryland so I'd have to find a friend that lives in PA or DE to ship to and just go pick it up from them!!! There's ways around everything!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Beefer I was wrong about the testing... Maryland requires emissions testing every TWO years... so if it's just a matter of removing the CAI's once every other year, I'm ok with that LOL so honestly who cares about legal and illegal if I'll just remove it for testing... only issue then is if it's illegal in Maryland, some companies might not even ship those products to Maryland so I'd have to find a friend that lives in PA or DE to ship to and just go pick it up from them!!! There's ways around everything!
Well...that link I gave you...that company ships to Maryland. They said they are legally bound not to if that were the case. So the fact that they can he said their legal department has determined some loophole, etc. Dunno. Point is...they will ship.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well...that link I gave you...that company ships to Maryland. They said they are legally bound not to if that were the case. So the fact that they can he said their legal department has determined some loophole, etc. Dunno. Point is...they will ship.
Works for me! Of the two that you had in your cart on carid.com... the K&N and Injen... which one of those would you go with? or would you wait to see what BMS comes up with? Do you have personal experience with any of these companies/products?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Works for me! Of the two that you had in your cart on carid.com... the K&N and Injen... which one of those would you go with? or would you wait to see what BMS comes up with? Do you have personal experience with any of these companies/products?
He kind of dogged the K&N saying you are just paying for the name. He praised the Injen...although a bit more money...and it offers way more performance gains. I am not an expert though. I would wait to see what BMS comes up...perhaps group buys...and even combo purchases with the piggyback for nice discounts :)

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
He kind of dogged the K&N saying you are just paying for the name. He praised the Injen...although a bit more money...and it offers way more performance gains. I am not an expert though. I would wait to see what BMS comes up...perhaps group buys...and even combo purchases with the piggyback for nice discounts :)
I'm probably going to pass on the piggyback initially... the CAI is a good starting point for me. Yeah good point; if BMS can offer some kind of group discount that would be ideal for us here! Injen was only an extra like $100 right? That's not that much in the big scheme of things for "way more performance gains"!!

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well I don't know what to think anymore now...LOL. The guy makes a lot of good points. I guess I would still do my research and see what other folks out in the real world have to say.

I will definitely research thoroughly after watching that !!
I have watched a bunch of Scotty's videos.... I think he's an idiot personally. He just uses this in your face delivery method that the average, every day car owner believes blindly. Most people here are not average, everyday car owners and actually know what they are talking about.

A lot of the comments on that video are people saying that he's an idiot and has no idea what he's talking about and that CAI's that are tuned and calibrated for your specific vehicle will not trip check engine lights and that they're very beneficial. Of all the research I've done on CAI's in the past few days: most sources said that it is beneficial and will help, a couple said it makes no difference at all and only looks and sounds cool, and Scotty's video is the only one I found that says CAI's are bad...

TOGuy242

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have watched a bunch of Scotty's videos.... I think he's an idiot personally. He just uses this in your face delivery method that the average, every day car owner believes blindly. Most people here are not average, everyday car owners and actually know what they are talking about.

A lot of the comments on that video are people saying that he's an idiot and has no idea what he's talking about and that CAI's that are tuned and calibrated for your specific vehicle will not trip check engine lights and that they're very beneficial. Of all the research I've done on CAI's in the past few days: most sources said that it is beneficial and will help, a couple said it makes no difference at all and only looks and sounds cool, and Scotty's video is the only one I found that says CAI's are bad...
I've never seen his stuff before ... does he drink before filming?

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I've never seen his stuff before ... does he drink before filming?
Possible... not to be offensive to anybody on here, but I think he's an older guy who has some "aged" notions about engines and cars in general. Modern cars are better and more advanced than what he gives them credit for I believe...