Nav, screen, freeze, on logo Genesis

daviderle

Registered Member
Thanks guys.

I've had the Genny for 2 weeks now. It's finally back at the dealership so they can address the navi problem. They said it would've cost 5,000 or so... don't think i should come out of pocket for something that was broke upon purchase. 150 point inspection should included an extended drive so they can see these things. The car also needed

I don't have 5k and i don't expect to come out of pocket for a car I just drove off of the lot.
Did you get the issue resolved?

If not, (It is a long shot) you can try to activate the XM radio on a trial bases (they were running 6 months for $25), I had the same sort of problem on my 2009 4.6 any time I did not not have the XM service activated, until I updated the map earlier this year...

Failing that, you can try to get your map updated (www.mapsoft.com), if they brick your unit they would have to replace it for you anyway.. :D

If all else fails, you could try to get HMA platinum coverage (around 1200-1500) wait for couple of months and then go in and get them to fix the issue for you...

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
Micbru, this is an intermittent problem that seems to be related to the Bluetooth connection at start-up. What I do is shut off the Bluetooth connection on my iphone 5 until after I am moving forward and I confirm that the nav screen is working normally.
This has worked for me! I deleted the bluetooth connection to my phone and the "Hyundai Genesis" screen never freezes now. Instantly turns on and goes to my Nav screen! Thanks for the advice! Moving forward im going to use my speaker phone when talking in car or headphones. What a relief!

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
While I still concur with my quote above, I eventually had the head unit replaced and that solved the problem for the most part. I would recommend getting your head unit replaced too, if you are under the 3 year/36,000 mi warranty for that part. I wouldn't be happy living without Bluetooth in the car. Your call, of course.

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
While I still concur with my quote above, I eventually had the head unit replaced and that solved the problem for the most part. I would recommend getting your head unit replaced too, if you are under the 3 year/36,000 mi warranty for that part. I wouldn't be happy living without Bluetooth in the car. Your call, of course.
Unfortunately my warranty has expired. But I am not worried too much. As long as the navi works and the other screens im OK.

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
Micbru, this is an intermittent problem that seems to be related to the Bluetooth connection at start-up. What I do is shut off the Bluetooth connection on my iphone 5 until after I am moving forward and I confirm that the nav screen is working normally.
I can confirm it is not related to the bluetooth. I have removed the bluetooth connection from my phone to car and today my screen froze on the "hyundai genesis screen." I guess i can live with it for now. But may have to upgrade to the 2015 genesis in a couple years.

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
I have paired my phone back into the bluetooth navigation system in my car. When i disable the bluetooth connection from my phone to car it seems like it works without freezing. FYI.

PhorenReign

Getting familiar with the group...
My issue was resolved. I lucked out that my nav was still covered under warranty -- had about 2 months left. Anyhoot they swapped it out with a new updated version ! haven't a problem with the Navi since.

Thanks to this forum I didn't have to go through the run around.. I had videos prepared and I even a copy of someones repair order-- it posted here on the forum somewhere-- and they replaced it.

No more freezing, and now contacts are sorted by first name instead of last name.

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
This has worked for me! I deleted the bluetooth connection to my phone and the "Hyundai Genesis" screen never freezes now. Instantly turns on and goes to my Nav screen! Thanks for the advice! Moving forward im going to use my speaker phone when talking in car or headphones. What a relief!
My screen still freezes. "Update". :(

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
Im going to try to update my navigation map and software. Do you guys think this will solve the problem? The dealership said it would cost $250 to upgrade the maps to version 9 and software. Hopefully this will work because im out of warranty.

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
I just updated my maps from version 3 to version 9. Significant difference in the software! Maps look sharper, interface has good updated changes, more modern and advance in many ways. Its been 2 days with out screen freezing. I will keep you posted and give any updates of freezing screen. If anyone still has the old map version 3 or 4 from when you originally bought your car, version 9 is a significant update that you will appreciate. Fyi. I have a 2012 genesis sedan premium with touch navi.

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
Update:

Since my install of version 9 map update i have had no problems with screen freezing. My navi screen would usually freeze if i used the keyless lock entry to my car. Have been opening the car that way since upgrade and no issues at all. Fyi. Fingers cross that the upgrade has fixed the freezing issue!

blackgenesis81

Registered Member
Update:

Since updating my navigation software and maps to version 9 from the original maps software from the factory the screen never freezes! I have my bluetooth phone connection on at all times and use all options that the head unit provides. I walk up to the car and open car with keyless entry and proceed to start the car. Screen does not freeze! I found my solution! $250 solution to fix navigation screen freeze! Maps are alot more enjoyable to look at and bluetooth options and usability is 10X better than the old software. The overall software and experience is more intuitive. FYI.

milesperhour

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Last week I took it to the dealer and they are replacing the entire system $2300.00 -
Im glad my extended warranty is paying for itself..

I'm wondering if the system itself will be a replica? or the newer version if there is one?

Metalman

Genesis Model Type
Called the dealer while ago and they said to hold off till the fall when the newest map version normally comes out.It is frustrating the radio will work fine for a couple of days then when it does frezze it is annoying.

milesperhour

Genesis Model Type
2012 Genesis- Nav/Radio system freezing on the Genisis logo intermittently and only after a full reboot would it load properly. Well, Here's an update which is sorta insane: My ext warranty covered a replacement unit after ALL updates were performed and didn't resolve the issue. , The (NEW) unit was a remanufactured unit for almost $2k (insane) The moment it was installed I immediately had the same issue. The dealer has taken the car and attempted to troubleshoot everything leading to the system. Said it works, gave me the car and 3 days later, frozen screen again.. Took it back after a week they decided we are replacing the refurbished unit again. Gave it back to me, frozen screen after 24hours. They have the car again and have no clue what to do. This is going to be interesting because I don't think they can solve it yet they spent $2k of my warranty money and I want a solution. Any speculation of where this will end up?
They have had my car in the shop on and off a half-dozen times and the only saving grace is I take a loaner every time.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.