Oil leak near transmission / rear main seal

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Update:

I’ve now been driving the loaner G70 for 10 days. I was told that in addition to the rear main seal being replaced, they’re also going to be replacing the oil pan gasket while they’re at it. I guess I can’t fault them for being thorough. When I asked to get an update yesterday, I was sent this photo. It was certainly a view of my engine bay that I’ve never seen.

View attachment 30771
Jeez ! That would freak me out. Seeing my beloved Genny in pieces!!😖

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I STRONGLY recommend EVERYONE to inspect the bell housing on their car for leaking. Seriously. Do it ASAP. I have a feeling this is either a design flaw, or a significant quality control issue on our cars. If so, Genesis needs to know.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Van_Nik_75 Any further updates?

@Toddasaurus Is this an easy check? I'll do it tonight if it's simple....

It's simple. Put your car on ramps, or jackstands, remove the rear bottom engine cover (6 bolts holding it on, and one plastic clip), and you'll be able to see the bellhousing very clearly.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's simple. Put your car on ramps, or jackstands, remove the rear bottom engine cover (6 bolts holding it on, and one plastic clip), and you'll be able to see the bellhousing very clearly.

Yeah, that is simple. I'll muster up the energy to have a look soon. Would be good for lots of us to check and see how wide spread it is.. Maybe it only effects a range of serial numbers... who knows.

Draco-REX

Registered Member
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
IMG_20200722_125204.jpg
IMG_20200722_130101.jpg

Yup. That's leaking.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm sure @Toddasaurus dealer will try to blame it on him and deny a warranty claim but they'll have to prove that whatever happened with the turbo incident last time caused this issue.

Yeah, well even if he says he was installing primary down pipes, that didn't work out....and even if he did end up getting them installed, I just can't see how any claim could be denied unless directly linked. There just seems to be zero reason for the dealer to deny anything.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but his dealership is on crack.

Riouxgrande

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ah I guess I am not up to speed with warranty stuff. I assumed the powertrain warranty was an all or nothing thing and that his warranty itself was voided, not just a denied claim on the turbo replacement.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yup. That's leaking.

Todd, this looks almost the same as I had in mine. Was there any oil on the undercover? I am guessing not. Maybe clean and check the area again in a few thousand miles / next oil change. You still must have lots of mileage/time to claim warranty (if they honor it that is). If it does not turn into a major leak like the others are having, then maybe drive it for a year or two and trade it in? I am on the fence on this regarding mine.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Without looking at my car, what is the short term and long term risk for this leak? Is it something that can continue for a long time as long as fluid is monitored regularly? Does it impend catastrophe? Is there a risk of dust and other foreign material entering the transmission? Can it be ignored? The leaks I see photographed are a small amount of fluid.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I sent the pictures to my dealership. They are going to pull their demo cars and have a look at them to start. My thinking is it's nothing imminent but obviously needs attention. I suspect Genesis/Kia had noticed it becoming an issue or will soon and find out the cause and fix it.. speculation in my part but we will see..

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Without looking at my car, what is the short term and long term risk for this leak? Is it something that can continue for a long time as long as fluid is monitored regularly? Does it impend catastrophe? Is there a risk of dust and other foreign material entering the transmission? Can it be ignored? The leaks I see photographed are a small amount of fluid.

The way I see it is this:
The main issue is getting it fixed while covered under warranty. First owner warranty is good for a longer period of time than second and further subsequent owners. If you're like me, who never keeps their car longer than two or three years, I'd most likely not get it repaired unless it became a substantial leak. No matter how good the technician is that's working on the car, it'll never be the same as "from the factory."

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update:

My car has now been in the shop for 2.5 weeks. As of two days ago they're still waiting for some part to replace the oil pan seal. Apparently the rear main seal has been replaced. Not sure if my engine is back in the car yet and I definitely don't know when I'm getting my car back. Since day 1 I've been driving a G70 3.3 Prestige loaner car. I'll have many comments about driving this car compared to my 3.3 Sport.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums