Oil leak near transmission / rear main seal

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We don't have enough evidence to say that it's either common or uncommon. When I asked people to check their own cars, no one did. We only have 3-4 confirmed cases within the forum because there have only been 3-4 people that are actually aware of what the underside of their own car looks like. My car was leaking, but it drove great, shifted great, and had no symptoms.

I was going to start a poll asking people to post their mileage along with a picture of the underside of their bell housing; but, after seeing that no one cares enough to check their own car, and the fact that I had given up on my own, I figured it was pointless.

I'm actually not surprised that few people have checked their own car for this oil leak. Inspecting it involves removing both plastic shields under the car and safely raising the car to see underneath. If you're not doing your own oil changes it's a lot of work to inspect this yourself. Ideally it should be checked out by whomever is doing oil changes but I wonder how many dealers will just wipe the oil off the transmission with a rag and call it a day.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, I'm kinda in this boat. I'm curious but that's all... Not enough to jack the car up, remove the covers and look.. I'm not really concerned because oil levels aren't changing at all and I've let my dealer know. They'll check it out next oil change.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm due to change my oil soon, I'll be sure to have a look for any leaks. Let you know if I find anything.
In my experience, many of these types of leaks are just a bit of a messy nuisance, but not serious enough to have a noticeable effect on your oil level in between changes. Of course, it still shouldn't be happening on a relatively new car with just 10-20k on the odometer.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My dealership checked one of their G70s today and it didn't have a leak.. It was low mileage though. They will check mine when it goes in for oil..

gdevine

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm actually not surprised that few people have checked their own car for this oil leak. Inspecting it involves removing both plastic shields under the car and safely raising the car to see underneath. If you're not doing your own oil changes it's a lot of work to inspect this yourself. Ideally it should be checked out by whomever is doing oil changes but I wonder how many dealers will just wipe the oil off the transmission with a rag and call it a day.
I would think the opposite. I think the dealer would like to find that leak and fix it so they get paid by Genesis.

Validr

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I haven't been given the invoice yet as I've been told that they're still finalizing the warranty claim is finished. I trust that I'll get a finalized version emailed to me to detail everything that was done and how many shop hours went into the job.

Did you get that invoice? Wandering how much this would be if you don't have that warranty. And if this happens to a 100k km car, would it be worth the fix.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you get that invoice? Wandering how much this would be if you don't have that warranty. And if this happens to a 100k km car, would it be worth the fix.

Yes, I got the invoice. Unfortunately all of the totals are zeroed out. I was told that the job was about 50 hours of work.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So 6000$ US in labor, roughly. OOF!

Validr

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes, I got the invoice. Unfortunately all of the totals are zeroed out. I was told that the job was about 50 hours of work.
50h.... That means at least a 5k job... Had to this this on an A5 Audi for 12h and Hyundai Santa fee for 5h

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I apologize I didn't take any pictures, but my 2019 G70 3.3 is leaking in this area. I changed my oil today at 2966 miles, second oil change I've done, the first one at 560 miles. A circle about three inches in diameter, directly below the bell housing area, on the belly pan. I'll check it in a thousand miles to see what it looks like, and will report back.

Bummer...

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I apologize I didn't take any pictures, but my 2019 G70 3.3 is leaking in this area. I changed my oil today at 2966 miles, second oil change I've done, the first one at 560 miles. A circle about three inches in diameter, directly below the bell housing area, on the belly pan. I'll check it in a thousand miles to see what it looks like, and will report back.

Bummer...
Wow that's really low miles to be leaking. Makes me think it could be an assembly issue only impacting certain cars...

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Bummer...
Why wait, just take it to the dealership so that they can address the leak under warranty. Sometimes engines are not sealed correctly in the factory. It got pass quality control it seems. Issues like that is why automakers give customers warranties for defects that happens ever so often.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums