Other cool cars like the G70

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ and the Type-S will cost lots more.

Genesis better step up pretty much everything in the G70 to outpace Hyundai and Kia models. They look SO attractive in terms of performance, features and value.

Nice for us enthusiasts!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ The higher output 3.5TT should do the trick, but the 8 spd AT doesn’t shift as quickly as the wet DCT in the N-Line and the K5 GT.

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I SERIOUSLY considered the Audi S5 cabriolet. Sharp looking car and gets out of its own way. On Edmonds.com you can evaluate "True cost to own" to compare it with other cars you're interested in. I was concerned about reliability. No remorse. Completely content with the extra room and more reasonable fuel consumption of the G80.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Throttle House review of the TLX. In short, underpowered, very pleasant, persnickety interior, handles pretty lively once you disable the ABS/traction control. Sounds like the chassis will be something to be reckoned with when the Type S comes along...

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah, you're probably right. the Type S might get a more liberal program to control its SH-AWD to push more power rearwards or allow a bit more 'rear steer'. i don't think removing fuses is really what people want to be doing. most owners wouldn't even know where to look.

surprised they didn't talk much about the weight of the TLX. they did mention the overall size, being a large car for the class, but the Accord they were comparing it to weighs ~600lbs less. ooof. i'm sure when they get to the head to head race, which they often do, the Accord will walk away.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah, you're probably right. the Type S might get a more liberal program to control its SH-AWD to push more power rearwards or allow a bit more 'rear steer'. i don't think removing fuses is really what people want to be doing. most owners wouldn't even know where to look.

surprised they didn't talk much about the weight of the TLX. they did mention the overall size, being a large car for the class, but the Accord they were comparing it to weighs ~600lbs less. ooof. i'm sure when they get to the head to head race, which they often do, the Accord will walk away.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ good find, and exactly what i expected. +600lbs does the TLX no favours. i recall test driving the Accord 2.0T 6MT before buying the G70 and it did feel quicker in a sneaky way. likely under-rated at 252hp. but those front tires were working hard...

odd results with the Sonata N-Line. with the dig race i was thinking that Hyundai's power rating was optimistic - since on the surface that race made no sense. but then it redeemed itself in the rolling race. clearly TH has it right - the N-Line has a restrictive launch mode and traction is a real issue so boost has to be cut.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
clearly TH has it right - the N-Line has a restrictive launch mode and traction is a real issue so boost has to be cut.
seem to be a pattern with hyundai/genesis/kia. Just the very soft launch in general. They must be real worried about warranties

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, it does make sense when you have a 10 year warranty. I've monitored the transmission temp while doing launches it certainly starts to climb. I could see it having some real heat issues if launched over and over. Having said that, from all of the 1/4 miles runs the Stinger group and Korean owners have done it certainly seems the transmission is tough.

Backslack

Registered Member
The Sonata N-line is a beast. C&D had it hit 0-60 in 5 seconds and 5-60 in 5.2 seconds. Runs the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds. It's the fastest FWD family sedan they've ever tested. If only it had AWD.

I hope Genesis throws in that 2.5T in the U.S. versions of the G70. Apparently there's been rumors that the European versions will have the 2.5T and 3.5TT, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Backslack

Registered Member
odd results with the Sonata N-Line. with the dig race i was thinking that Hyundai's power rating was optimistic - since on the surface that race made no sense. but then it redeemed itself in the rolling race. clearly TH has it right - the N-Line has a restrictive launch mode and traction is a real issue so boost has to be cut.
According to C&D, it was a glitch with the launch control on the pre-production model. They say they're fixing it on the final product:

After some investigating by Hyundai, they discovered a software glitch that limits torque if too much brake pressure is applied during launch starts. Our test car was a pre-production unit and Hyundai assures us the programming will be recalibrated for production cars.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums