Remote ESC disable mod.

2011 Genesis 4.6

Been here awhile...
Jax Fl
In Park Remove (or if using the mod hit the button) wait for all the lights to come on, that takes 7 to 10 seconds, then hit the esc button on the dash replace the fuse and you will end up with esc auto hold and epb lights staying lite up

shagnat

Registered Member
Thanks for this information. I am ordering the remote kit (as running wires for a switch just is not to my liking) I have tried the remove/hit the button/replace method and found it works very well.
I don't want to get into all the wiring either....... So, are you saying to pull the fuse, start engine, hit the ESC button on the dash, replace the fuse and that would disable the ESC completely?

2011 Genesis 4.6

Been here awhile...
Jax Fl
I don't want to get into all the wiring either....... So, are you saying to pull the fuse, start engine, hit the ESC button on the dash, replace the fuse and that would disable the ESC completely?
Start the engine first, may or may not make a difference never tried it.

And yes when you hit the esc button after waiting for all the lights on the dash to come on then replacing the fuse you will have all esc functions disabled.

One the 2011 and newer, with the electronic parking brake you will also lose the cruise control function while the esc is off. You have to shut off the car and restart to get the esc and cruise control back.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

shagnat

Registered Member
Start the engine first, may or may not make a difference never tried it.

And yes when you hit the esc button after waiting for all the lights on the dash to come on then replacing the fuse you will have all esc functions disabled.

One the 2011 and newer, with the electronic parking brake you will also lose the cruise control function while the esc is off. You have to shut off the car and restart to get the esc and cruise control back.
Thank you very much. I'm going to try it and see how it works for my 2010 4.6L

daviderle

Registered Member
I haven't been using it since March. I removed it because I was going to sell my car. Now I put the whole thing back on, since I kept the car. Now, the funny thing is that when I press the ON button then only ESC light comes on, now I should press the traction control button but nothing happens....so, I pressed the OFF button on the remote and this massage light up - "Key is not in vehicle"?
Well, of course the key is inside the car..and the traction control is OFF!!! I'm able to burn rubber :D now it seems that this disables traction control ONLY! other stuff such as cruise control still works. Weird, isn't?

dareck, that is a new one for me!

Also another thing I noted in the image you uploaded, the gear indicator is red, which I do not believe I have seen before! (as I recall it stays blue), who knows, you may actually have found a way to activate (the mythical) sports mode ;). does the display stay Red when you select D(rive) or in manual mode?

If you have time, Please check that you have not removed or have another fuse that might have blown!

Another test I would like for you to do is, without spinning try to accelerate hard to see if you 'feel' there is more power while the mod. Is engaged? also if RPMs get to more than 6500, or you think the gear changes are any different while mod. Is activated in this fashion.

If you have access to OBDII reader, it might be worth checking to see if you have any error code.

Also I would propose that you test and check the ESC is working correctly both in normal mode and also while ESC button is in off position, when the mod. Is disabled!

This may turn out to be a very exciting development!

Last edited:

LIRspecSedan

Registered Member
long island, NY
interested also. did the remote/relay route. when starting the car, all lights come on before i push buttons on remote. cannot seem to get them to go away (and only esc) until i remove harness from car

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

daviderle

Registered Member
@David and Guys!

The gear indicator is "red" right after I start the car (nothing else touched or disable), I didn't check what color it has if I'd put it in reverse. But it doesn't matter, I think.

I went through all my pictures of the setup and I noticed now that I have connected the Fuse Socket Connector reversed - flipped them, so only this would explain WHY I have ESC ligh ON instead of ESC/EPB/AUTO HOLD.

As for the RPM's - I don't see it goes above 6500

Here is a little video test using my GoPro ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJiZLM8Tu5U&feature=youtu.be

Again.....try to flip the connector and see what will happen :D

Pictures before and after:

Hmm, that is interesting...

Technically that is a bad idea because you are inadvertently creating feedback loop through the remote device / relay (ie the remote could be acting as an inline device between the live terminal and the ESC electronics when the relay is closed, sort of like inserting a resistor instead of the fuse).

I might have missed it, but in the video I did not see the gear indicator as red but rather the normal colors!?

What I am interested in most and did not see in the video is "Key is not in vehicle" message after the off button is pressed, that you mentioned in your earlier post, where the picture shows the key and appears the entire gear selection background was red (?maybe just a reflection?). I would love to see the same test drive video while the car is in that condition. :)

I have to recheck the design and verify what I can but unfortunately I do not have time till at least next weekend!

My proposal is you either correct the terminal connection or do not use the setup in this way, until I have a chance to recreate this condition and look for any errors as well as study what is going on using other tools (such as a volt meter) sometime in the near future....

Your call, I just do not like the fact that another completely unrelated system is being affected and just would like for you not to (accidentally) damage anything in the meantime... ;)

Never the less, this is still a rather intriguing discovery! :D

Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
interested also. did the remote/relay route. when starting the car, all lights come on before i push buttons on remote. cannot seem to get them to go away (and only esc) until i remove harness from car
That means something maybe wrong with one or more connection(s), as all lights should go out until you press the on button on the remote.

Please check the harness wiring and compare the assembled components to the first picture in post #1.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

LIRspecSedan

Registered Member
long island, NY
That means something maybe wrong with one or more connection(s), as all lights should go out until you press the on button on the remote.

Please check the harness wiring and compare the assembled components to the first picture in post #1.
pretty simple connection. my black wire fell out of the harness so i wired it directly to the relay, but that shouldnt matter. maybe a bad relay? the remote shoudnt be an issue since i can hear it clicking the relay
thanks

avguy89

Hasn't posted much yet...
Chicago, IL
You are most welcome, the only thing I feel bad about is took more than five years to share with you all, but better late than never I suppose...

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showpost.php?p=22743&postcount=40

As far as what you get? there are at least three main threads in this forum that discuss the effect of the 'Nanny' on our Genny in excruciating detail!

But in summery, this mod. is about the closest thing to an engine tune we have available to us (the Sedan folks) at this time!

In addition, this mod. coupled with the Ridgit Collar, as well as the shifter mod I am working on, is the closest you will get to a 2015 model for those of us who;

1 - Prefers the shape of the 2009-2014 (G1) model.
2 - Likes the additional power / weight ratio of the G1 model.
3 - Would like to save $20k+.

Here are some nice videos of this mod:

instructional video (by Dareckibmw)
(I couldn't have shared this mod. without his help in validating my procedure and his artistic touch):

[youtube]7c3HEWSyCrQ[/youtube]

An older video (by PINGGOLF)
(Who validated my original 'removing ESC fuse' mod.)

[youtube]0QVFKXaZh1c[/youtube]

And one for the road:
(A tribute to QCTLG for carrying the torch forward)

[youtube]sJAbrSWujv4[/youtube]​

Have fun and please be careful out there... :D
Shifter Mod? Please Explain.

Ldmf

Registered Member
I have all the parts, connected them and I am ready to install on a 2011 4.6. The fuse that is suggested to use is not listed as the esc fuse. Just want to make sure.

It looks like I should use the fuse named shops or the one next to it named esp . A little help would be appreciated.

CRSpec

Registered Member
Tampa
I do have one argument about this, and Its more due to curiosity. Have any of you guys taken your car to the track "1/8th or 1/4" before or after doing this MOD?

I went to the track last week and when I turned traction control off, with the ESC button, I spun 1st and 2nd gear down the track and 3rd was okay. I was at the 1/8th mile and still ran an "8.7 at 86MPH" while I was losing traction and a crap reaction time of 1.3, and was complimented on the time that a Genesis Sedan ran, and was also told I need my helmet next time lol

Im just curious if you have actually run the car or just done a few small burnouts, I also have no issue doing a burn out with ESC off.

Audio

Registered Member
Omaha, NE
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I know this is an older thread, but having checked out the original post, coming from an automotive electrical/audio background, I need to say that install makes me cringe. So much wrong with that rats nest of poor quality electrical work.

Did you really use wire nuts under the hood of a car? Ground by stuffing a connector under a painted fender with a painted bolt? Just jumble all the crap in a heap inside the fuse box and chop a hole in the side for the wires? I mean, good for finding a neat mod, but very poor, dangerous, and improper execution of electrical work.