Remote ESC disable mod.

CRSpec

Registered Member
Tampa
I know this is an older thread, but having checked out the original post, coming from an automotive electrical/audio background, I need to say that install makes me cringe. So much wrong with that rats nest of poor quality electrical work.

Did you really use wire nuts under the hood of a car? Ground by stuffing a connector under a painted fender with a painted bolt? Just jumble all the crap in a heap inside the fuse box and chop a hole in the side for the wires? I mean, good for finding a neat mod, but very poor, dangerous, and improper execution of electrical work.
For fear of blowing something up, this is not something that I would do either, Id wait till the ECU is cracked.

I have no issue spinning the tires with ESC off, learning to balance the throttle in the power band helps if you want no assistance.

I cant see this being any benefit at the track as with no traction control on for me, I was spinning like crazy. I only have the Intake and catback exhaust, but it woke the car up big time.

Im more interested in this new paddle shift mod now, which make way more sense than this ESC switch mod.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yeah, those 235's all around are freaking joke for the car with ~430 ponies.

I would strongly suggest, get wider tires (new aftermarket rims, of course) at least 275/xx for better traction. It is so easy to spin them, even w/o WOT.

I'm happy that my new '15 5.0 came from the factory with 275/xx on the back....I'm going wider next week, tho :D

CRSpec

Registered Member
Tampa
Yeah, those 235's all around are freaking joke for the car with ~430 ponies.

I would strongly suggest, get wider tires (new aftermarket rims, of course) at least 275/xx for better traction. It is so easy to spin them, even w/o WOT.

I'm happy that my new '15 5.0 came from the factory with 275/xx on the back....I'm going wider next week, tho :D
Im running 10.5" wide rims with 275/35/20 and still spin like crazy with ESC off.

Once I get the suspension set up and sitting right, If I can fit wider tires I will, but for now they are sticking past the fenders, so I went with 275's.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Haha, I hear ya! those Rspec aren't joke, right? :D

daviderle

Registered Member
I know this is an older thread, but having checked out the original post, coming from an automotive electrical/audio background, I need to say that install makes me cringe. So much wrong with that rats nest of poor quality electrical work.

Did you really use wire nuts under the hood of a car? Ground by stuffing a connector under a painted fender with a painted bolt? Just jumble all the crap in a heap inside the fuse box and chop a hole in the side for the wires? I mean, good for finding a neat mod, but very poor, dangerous, and improper execution of electrical work.
I agree, this mod is not for the faint hearted and certainly it can be implemented in a better way, but the assumption it is dangerous is not founded as I have been running this for almost 8 years on the 2009 4.6 and more than two years on 2013 R-Spec without any issues (although I do have the ground wired in a completely different way and the receiver is housed outside the fuse box in its own housing)

Even in full frontal / side impact accident the worse that can happen is the ESC is disabled after the inline fuse is blows out. :confused:

You should see what other people did back in 2008 where they drilled holes in engine firewall to cable a switch in the dash!

By all means, feel free to update the design and share your own pictures to solve this particular challenge that we face on the G1 (V8). :cool:

Audio

Registered Member
Omaha, NE
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
"I have not had a malfunction or safety issue" is an isolated result, not a rule of what is right and wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just pointing out some things that were not done in a way that is consistent with the proper ways to do such things is all. I'm very happy to hear your mod worked and has not caused any problems. I wouldn't wish major issues on anyway(ok maybe some people), but simply stating some improvement could be made on that setup.

daviderle

Registered Member
"I have not had a malfunction or safety issue" is an isolated result, not a rule of what is right and wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just pointing out some things that were not done in a way that is consistent with the proper ways to do such things is all. I'm very happy to hear your mod worked and has not caused any problems. I wouldn't wish major issues on anyway(ok maybe some people), but simply stating some improvement could be made on that setup.
Thank you for your complements. Personally and I am sure among others who have implemented this setup, look forward to the proposed improvements as we continue to be inspired by everyones contribution to this forum.

memoff

Hasn't posted much yet...
GA
Quick question - why not just remove the fuse and drive the car with the fuse out - other than throwing a code? My 2013 R-spec is out of warranty (I think - I'm the third owner with 53,000 miles) so I'm not concerned with voiding the warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question - why not just remove the fuse and drive the car with the fuse out - other than throwing a code? My 2013 R-spec is out of warranty (I think - I'm the third owner with 53,000 miles) so I'm not concerned with voiding the warranty.

ltzrok

Also tried just pulling the fuse, again, the auto parking brake goes on full, and the car will not move. This mod must have been for only for the 4.6 r spec, and not the 5.0, or maybe just a different year, because it certainly doesn't work on mine.

Genesis Device

Also tried just pulling the fuse, again, the auto parking brake goes on full, and the car will not move. This mod must have been for only for the 4.6 r spec, and not the 5.0, or maybe just a different year, because it certainly doesn't work on mine.
I've been planning the same mod for a while now but haven't yet gotten around to it. I've never actually tried the "manual" way but after reading this I thought I'd give it a go at lunch. Worked as advertized and could burn rubber at will 😁. That said, I'm driving a '12 rspec so powertrain we're same same. Wonder what's going on?? Do you only see the epb warning after pulling the fuse (minus pressing the esc button) or is the whole dash lit up like a christmas tree? Have you tried just the fuse before the wiring mod?

ltzrok

Tried just the fuse pull first, easier and cheaper than the $160.00CDN to order all the parts. Same thing, emerg brake goes on instantly, did the full setup according to the post with all identical parts, same thing. If I floor it at a stop sign with the ESC off, I maybe get 5' of wheel spin then the brakes turn on, very annoying and very disappointed this mod didn't work.

Genesis Device

Maybe the CDN versions have some added safety features that the US versions don't, I am at a loss. Total shame to have 429hp and can't even do a descent burnout....
Got some more bad news...I'm in Canada as well and driving a CDN car. Maybe the ESC was wired to a different fuse in your car by mistake??? Grasping at straws but you never know. Maybe start pulling every 10a fuse 1 at a time and see what happens.

ltzrok

Tried pretty much every 10a fuse, got lots of warning lights on the dash, some wouldn't even let the car start. Went back over the mod wiring just in case, it's dead on according to the instructions, and because the relay is actually tripping when the button is pushed, it proves the mod wiring isn't at fault. It's the emerg brake coming on instantly when either the mod is installed or the ESC fuse is pulled, it's a definite thing they wired into to the system to prevent bypassing the stability control. There has to be a work around, just haven't figured out how yet.

Genesis Device

Well that just sucks...have you considered disconnecting the parking brake just to see if the mod is actually working for you? PIA I know, but at least it could answer the question before working on a workaround.

ltzrok

Not worth going to the extremes of disabling actual safety features of the car for a 10 second burnout. ESC stuff I don't really care about disabling, the car shouldn't have them anyway, but brakes are a different story, there must be a reason why we both have 2012 CDN cars, and mine has these extra safety features.

Genesis Device

Oh I wasn't suggesting you permanently disable the PB, just as process of elimination thing...disable, go for a quick rip to proof it out then reconnect. Confusing as to how this works for me & not you...maybe things changed during the build year? At a loss.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.