Remote start, Does the G80 have one?

AVShop

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm in Canada too and I don't have the remote start for the 2018 G80 Sport. I even confirmed with the dealer it's not in my car for the 2018 and they said they don't install one either for it. I went to a third party who spent almost 3 hours and he couldn't install one (waste of time but he tried...). If you can find one that works, let me know! I miss the remote start feature that I had installed on my previous car.

Genesis Canada now sell a remote starter for the 2018 G80 sport that the dealership can install. It works with the factory remote by pressing lock then the panic/alarm button 3 times fast and runs for about 10min. Cost me a pretty penny but totally worth it for the cold weather here!

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Genesis Canada now sell a remote starter for the 2018 G80 sport that the dealership can install. It works with the factory remote by pressing lock then the panic/alarm button 3 times fast and runs for about 10min. Cost me a pretty penny but totally worth it for the cold weather here!
Nice, good to know, how much was it?

g_909966

Terrible app and service
The idea behind this is great but unfortunately the execution is terrible. When it works, it works slow. It takes several minutes from the time you issue a command through the app before it registers to the vehicle. Even then it seems to fail 15-20% of the time. What’s more frustrating is that is costs $300 a year for all of the services. For that price I would expect them to work reliably and quickly. After several failed unlocks today I tried to call support and the hold time was over 35 minutes.

I keep hoping they will improve things but after years they have barely updated the app. It still doesn’t even have support for the iPhone X display well over a year after it was released. Note that the screen shots show it on an X but they don’t show that there’s huge bars on the top and bottom. Genesis needs to take this one back to the drawing board.

Eve

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just bought a G80 Ultimate 2 weeks ago. Bluelink does not work in Canada, unbelieveable.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Just bought a G80 Ultimate 2 weeks ago. Bluelink does not work in Canada, unbelieveable.
Us Canadians get ripped off there.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Us Canadians get ripped off there.
happens everywhere. US doesn't get some things as well.

personal opinion is that the cell service with Canadian carriers is the issue, Bluelink uses the Verizon CDMA network, not GSM, per the bottom of the bluelink site:

Only use Blue Link and corresponding devices when it is safe to do so. Blue Link is available on most 2013-2015 Hyundai Vehicles. Blue Link subscription service agreement required. Features vary by subscription plan. Blue Link service works using CDMA based cellular networks in the 50 United States. Blue Link service is not available where there is no cellular coverage particularly in enclosed or remote areas. Service availability may be affected by signal strength, foliage, weather, topographical conditions (mountains) and nearby structures (tall buildings, tunnels) and other factors. For additional details and system limitations visit HyundaiBlueLink.com. Hyundai is a registered trademark of Hyundai Motor Company. All rights reserved. ©2015 Hyundai Motor America.

near as I can tell there is no Canadian Carrier (or any other country for that matter) that uses CDMA, that is a Verizon/Sprint USA specific network. So Hyundai has to make GSM compatible devices for the cars for bluelink to work in Canada. I think it is stupid that they choose CDMA over GSM in the USA, but I suspect it is because Verizon offers more coverage here than any other carrier.

1545084370750.png

Last edited:

EXCADDY

Westfield Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I didn't know about the remote starting limitations until I bought my 2019 G80. Not that it would have kept me from buying it but I'm surprised at the Genesis approach. So, I can't start it with the key fob when I'm standing by the window in my office looking at the car in the parking lot like I did with my Cadillac XTS. And if I go out of town on business for 5 days and try to start it with the app from inside the airport like I used to do with OnStar I can't because the car hasn't been started in less than 4 days. Really? Who thought this was a good idea on an otherwise pretty technically cool car?

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I didn't know about the remote starting limitations until I bought my 2019 G80. Not that it would have kept me from buying it but I'm surprised at the Genesis approach. So, I can't start it with the key fob when I'm standing by the window in my office looking at the car in the parking lot like I did with my Cadillac XTS. And if I go out of town on business for 5 days and try to start it with the app from inside the airport like I used to do with OnStar I can't because the car hasn't been started in less than 4 days. Really? Who thought this was a good idea on an otherwise pretty technically cool car?

it's not just the Genesis approach, BMW, MBZ, Lexus (to my knowledge, there might be others) have all gone to this pay to play crap. BMW and MBZ even require a paid subscription to use Carplay..

not sure what you mean about the 4 day thing.. My car sat for 14 days while I was on vacation and I was able to remote start it through Alexa on my first day back from work without issue.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I can't start it with the key fob when I'm standing by the window in my office looking at the car in the parking lot like I did with my Cadillac XTS.
But can you start your XTS from your Apple Watch or mobile phone like you can for your Genesis? Don’t have an Apple Watch? (Insert I hate apple products rant here).

And if I go out of town on business for 5 days and try to start it with the app from inside the airport like I used to do with OnStar I can't because the car hasn't been started in less than 4 days.
Don’t understand what you are getting at. Would you please clarify. Thanks, we might be able to help you out on this one.

EXCADDY

Westfield Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
But can you start your XTS from your Apple Watch or mobile phone like you can for your Genesis? Don’t have an Apple Watch? (Insert I hate apple products rant here).

Don’t understand what you are getting at. Would you please clarify. Thanks, we might be able to help you out on this one.
So, with OnStar (paid subscription) I could start the car from anywhere and the start was quick. For example I would fly in from out of town in January and as the plane taxied to the gate I would start my Caddy (from my iPhone with no rant) and by the time I walked to it, it was running and toasty warm. As I read the Genesis manual, it says that after the car has not been started for 4 days, the remote start with the Genesis app doesn't work until you start the car from inside the car again. Today just to try it out, I started the Genesis with the Genesis app and it took minutes. Not the same as using a key fob remote on my Caddy and not as fast as OnStar. Not the end of the world but is more inconvenient than what I had before.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
So, with OnStar (paid subscription) I could start the car from anywhere and the start was quick. For example I would fly in from out of town in January and as the plane taxied to the gate I would start my Caddy (from my iPhone with no rant) and by the time I walked to it, it was running and toasty warm. As I read the Genesis manual, it says that after the car has not been started for 4 days, the remote start with the Genesis app doesn't work until you start the car from inside the car again. Today just to try it out, I started the Genesis with the Genesis app and it took minutes. Not the same as using a key fob remote on my Caddy and not as fast as OnStar. Not the end of the world but is more inconvenient than what I had before.
The speed is relative to your cellular connection. from my office it takes seconds, at my home it takes 1+ minutes. OnStar was no different in this respect for my 2010 Avalanche or my 2012 Camaro SS, as they like Genesis use Verizon CDMA and at my home there is no Verizon repeater within 5 miles, my cell service comes off a tower in another city because ATT owns all the towers where I live.

But at my office there is a Verizon tower in our parking lot.

So the "speed" is all relative to the network, though I will say that OnStar being a much larger network with a much larger data center over Genesis/Hyundai is likely to have much newer/faster servers to process the incoming requests, but at the end of the day the bottleneck will always be the OTA network.

As for the 4 day thing, as stated I have not experienced this issue. My G80 was parked for 14 days, the morning I returned to work I started via my Alexa like I do every morning, and had no issue. The Alexa app is using the same functionality as the iphone app.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I also questioned the "less than 4 days since last vehicle ignition off" for remote start to work. Page 23 of the Genesis Connected Services User's Manual (2018 G80) does state this is a precondition.

Preconditions:
Ignition is OFF
Alarm is armed (i.e., vehicle locked by key fob Remote Door Lock)
Gearshift level is in the P (park) position
Brake pedal is not depressed
Engine hood is securely closed
All the doors are closed and locked
The tailgate or trunk lid is closed
The security/panic system is not activated
The proximity key is not inside the vehicle
The battery power is not low
Vehicle is located in an open area (no idea how the car can detect this).
It has been less than 4 days since last vehicle ignition off
Vehicle located in area with good cell reception

I haven't been able to test this as I can't be away from my girl for more than 24 hours. Told my boss I can't travel anymore because my new G80 would miss me ;)

BTW
The "manuals" for 2017-2019 G80 and G90's (sorry G70s) are available at Manuals and Warranties | Genesis Resources | MyGenesis

EXCADDY

Westfield Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The speed is relative to your cellular connection. from my office it takes seconds, at my home it takes 1+ minutes. OnStar was no different in this respect for my 2010 Avalanche or my 2012 Camaro SS, as they like Genesis use Verizon CDMA and at my home there is no Verizon repeater within 5 miles, my cell service comes off a tower in another city because ATT owns all the towers where I live.

So the "speed" is all relative to the network, though I will say that OnStar being a much larger network with a much larger data center over Genesis/Hyundai is likely to have much newer/faster servers to process the incoming requests, but at the end of the day the bottleneck will always be the OTA network.

As for the 4 day thing, as stated I have not experienced this issue. My G80 was parked for 14 days, the morning I returned to work I started via my Alexa like I do every morning, and had no issue. The Alexa app is using the same functionality as the iphone app.
Glad to hear you can start your G80 after more than 4 days of it being off. I was going by the Connected Services manual page 23 that says "Preconditions: It has been less than 4 days since last vehicle ignition off". Again, my past experience (3 Jags, 2 Caddys, 4 Corvettes, Yukons, Silverados, Fords and Chevys) is that a remote start on a key fob is a great convenience and remote start through OnStar is plenty fast when I need it. I love this G80 and switched to it from Cadillac since they're going to drop sedans just after they got them right (CT6). I'm just surprised that with all of the nice technology they've put in other areas that this basic sort of convenience was left out. And judging from comments that others have made on this and other forums I'm reading, I'm not the only one who feels that way. But it is what it is and not the end of the world.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Glad to hear you can start your G80 after more than 4 days of it being off. I was going by the Connected Services manual page 23 that says "Preconditions: It has been less than 4 days since last vehicle ignition off". Again, my past experience (3 Jags, 2 Caddys, 4 Corvettes, Yukons, Silverados, Fords and Chevys) is that a remote start on a key fob is a great convenience and remote start through OnStar is plenty fast when I need it. I love this G80 and switched to it from Cadillac since they're going to drop sedans just after they got them right (CT6). I'm just surprised that with all of the nice technology they've put in other areas that this basic sort of convenience was left out. And judging from comments that others have made on this and other forums I'm reading, I'm not the only one who feels that way. But it is what it is and not the end of the world.

I agree remote start should be a fob action, not a subscription service. while the app/subscription service is nice, one should not be required to have it to get this functionality.

Lexus pulled the same B.S. and took it one step further, they activate key fob remote start when you have the subscription, but if you let it lapse they disable the Fob as well as the app.

With all the technology in the Genesis, they are still lacking some IMO basic features for a car at this level that their competitors DO offer.

key fob remote start
key fob linking to memory functions
key fob ability to roll down windows and open sunroof
Touch entry doors (not the push button crap)
ability to determine the setting for remote start lighting (flash, solid or no lights)

guess one has to take the good with the bad. great price point for what is offered, but missing some features that should be there, but would raise the price point slightly.

EXCADDY

Westfield Indiana
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree remote start should be a fob action, not a subscription service. while the app/subscription service is nice, one should not be required to have it to get this functionality.

Lexus pulled the same B.S. and took it one step further, they activate key fob remote start when you have the subscription, but if you let it lapse they disable the Fob as well as the app.

With all the technology in the Genesis, they are still lacking some IMO basic features for a car at this level that their competitors DO offer.

key fob remote start
key fob linking to memory functions
key fob ability to roll down windows and open sunroof
Touch entry doors (not the push button crap)
ability to determine the setting for remote start lighting (flash, solid or no lights)

guess one has to take the good with the bad. great price point for what is offered, but missing some features that should be there, but would raise the price point slightly.
Agreed. I fell in love with the car as soon as I sat down in it. It's a G80 AWD 3.8 with the Sport and Ultimate packages, Casablanca White with Beige interior. For $56K , nothing touches it and maintenance cost compared to German autos is minimal. A friend who used to drive only BMW's pushed me to look at the Genesis and I didn't leave the dealership in the same car I came in :). Extremely quiet cabin, most comfortable seats I've found in a car, great mode changes between Econ, Normal, and Sport. All the right technology (save the remote start options). Very happy with the car.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

I think the biggest thing is that Onstar uses 4G now. From the time I push the button in the app for my 2018 GMC Terrain to the time it does what I want is usually 5 seconds or less. Genesis should upgrade to a faster connection. They could also then add a vehicle Hotspot to the car which most newer vehicles are starting to come with. I know they can't do this with current vehicles, but they should upgrade going forward.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I think the biggest thing is that Onstar uses 4G now. From the time I push the button in the app for my 2018 GMC Terrain to the time it does what I want is usually 5 seconds or less. Genesis should upgrade to a faster connection. They could also then add a vehicle Hotspot to the car which most newer vehicles are starting to come with. I know they can't do this with current vehicles, but they should upgrade going forward.

2018+ uses 4G LTE as well. already been discussed in other threads, even get a 4G symbol on the Display when it is active (sport/ultimate models, can't speak to the basic model)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.